• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Seiko SKX006 with shiny lume(?)

Akra

11/1/17
Forgive me if this isn't the place to post for mods/repairs on gen watches.

Recently purchased a cheapo Seiko on the bay.
When I received it I noticed that it had received quite a bad relume on the hands, and an even worse job on the markers.
In fact I'm not even sure that the markers have been relumed as they have no lume whatoever, but instead have some sort of epoxy shine to them. Whereas the original markers with patina have a more brown look to them.

Does anybody know if I should bring this to a Seiko store, a modder here, or if this dial is done for?

(Excuse my poor photography skills).

0MIYvMW.jpg

Album: https://imgur.com/a/0azMq79

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
So the indices/markers don't glow ?

As for reluming, it depends on what the indices are filled with, if it's water based it's easy to remove. If it's solvent based (probable) then it's very time consuming to remove, add on the cost of paying for a relume, you may as well just by a new dial off eBay.

Akra

11/1/17
So the indices/markers don't glow ?

As for reluming, it depends on what the indices are filled with, if it's water based it's easy to remove. If it's solvent based (probable) then it's very time consuming to remove, add on the cost of paying for a relume, you may as well just by a new dial off eBay.
It's got no glow at all.

Apparently it's quite a rare model, only made in '96-'97. And the only SKX model with an even number. Which sounds cool and all, but sucks for finding another dial.
4ac4a482f62f1cd907188630b081e410.jpg

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Well, a relume is possible, just depends on how much you are willing to spend on it to get looking the way you want.

Akra

11/1/17
I see, what price range are you talking about if I may ask?

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
I see, what price range are you talking about if I may ask?

I wasn't offering my services, I was talking generally - it's possible to relume the indices and hands.

Depending on who you send it to, then I think you'll be looking at something between $60 and $100 US.

Reactions: Akra

Akra

11/1/17
I wasn't offering my services, I was talking generally - it's possible to relume the indices and hands.

Depending on who you send it to, then I think you'll be looking at something between $60 and $100 US.

No, I understand. I was talking about a rough estimate as I had no idea. But thank you!

Reactions: tripdog