• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My Molotow Cocktail with springs and balls!

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Ok so like most everyone who gets a Hulk I hated the bezel insert.

I decided to do the Molotow paint mod, using silver metallic. On my first attempt I used Q-tips to apply the paint like someone mentioned to do. I tried to be careful and did 4 coats allowing an hour between each to dry. Then I rubbed the paint off the ceramic with Q-tips. I wasn't happy with the results. It was too globby.

So I decided to have another go at it. I removed the previous paint with rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip. This time I used an ultra fine paint brush. Stabilize the insert somehow, put the paint on something plastic and dip into it with the brush. Apply the paint into the recesses as thinly as possible. Don't do more than a couple marker slots at a time and do not let the paint pool. Continue to brush it until it is even and uniform.

After four coats of paint, I let it dry overnight. This method is so controlled that I saw there really is no need to remove the bezel or the insert. To keep it even cleaner, you could put a piece of masking tape above each maker to keep it off the bezel.

While it was drying, I set about to replace the bezel. I had lost one of the springs and balls taking it apart. Another forum member @d3s19n posted the Amazon links to replacement parts that worked perfectly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004YL4610/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005S4GSZE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The gen springs and balls are soldered together so I just superglued them.

Next up was reconnecting the bezel to the case. Factories use different attachment methods. This is a BP case. Their case has a sloped ridge around the retaining ring that the bezel has to fit over. I had a really hard time getting this bezel off. It came off very slowly, a half millimeter at a time with great effort. The teflon gasket was in good shape and properly seated to reinstall.

The diameter of the retaining ring ridge is 32.2, the inside diameter of the bezel + teflon gasket is 31.5 mm - this is going to be fun.

There was no way I could snap the bezel back on by hand, I couldn't even do it with a crystal press.

So I milled the retaining ring sloped edge down by a full .4 mm with a dremel tool and a grinding disc, then I polished it out. It was now 31.8 mm with the bezel + teflon gasket being 31.5 mm. STILL I could not get the bezel on even using a press. WOW, like I said earlier I wish I had never taken the freaking thing off. I could have painted the insert just fine with it in place.

Wondering what to do next, I got a bigger press - a VICE! Sounds crazy I know, but I had a 38 mm bezel die so I figured it was worth a try.

SNAP! Finally it went home, yikes what a pain.

So then I rubbed off the extra paint from the ceramic and can re-attach the insert.

Looking better now

Before:

After:

This will be a whole lot easier next time!

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Nice work !!

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
nice work m8...I have read someone doing bezelmods but can't find the thread, I think the guy was in SG....his works is amazing

Reactions: manodeoro

Gumby90701

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/10/14
thank you for this. i actually just got my molotow pen today and Im going to buy a small brush to do the same.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Cool Gumby! Hope all goes well, take it slow..

Gumby90701

15/10/14
hey KJ2020 question for you. Did you strip or remove all the previous paint on the insert? I painted it last night and when I used a q tip to remove the excess paint this morning some of the paint from the rectangle cuts came off. also i have read that you are supposed to kinda scratch up the numbers and rectangle cuts so that the paint sticks to insert better. any recommendations regarding that? any help would be appreciated

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
hey KJ2020 question for you. Did you strip or remove all the previous paint on the insert? I painted it last night and when I used a q tip to remove the excess paint this morning some of the paint from the rectangle cuts came off. also i have read that you are supposed to kinda scratch up the numbers and rectangle cuts so that the paint sticks to insert better. any recommendations regarding that? any help would be appreciated

Hey buddy, the way you see the insert in the first pic of this post is how I started the first attempt. I did nothing to the insert as it came from the factory except wash it with mild soap and water using a very soft bristle brush. On the second attempt I used a Q-tip and rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol to remove all of the Molotow paint from the first attempt. So each attempt was started with freshly cleaned and dried factory paint on the markers. I do not see any need to rough up the markers, I think that would make things worse due to uneven abrading. You didn't say how many coats you used - I did 4 very thin coats and saw no sign of the paint not adhering completely. I let each coat dry for an hour before moving on to the next coat. When removing excess paint, you should take care not to let the Q-tip touch the painted markers. Pull some of the soft fluff off the Q-tip so you are working with a smaller, more dense part of the swab. Hold the stick parallel to the insert, not pointing down at it. Rub the paint off the insert while avoiding the marker chasms - the swab is elevated above the cuts. Good luck!

Reactions: Soloist

Gumby90701

15/10/14
KJ2020 thank you for your help. I did the mod and although it doesnt look as good as yours, it does look better than it did originally. thanks again

Soloist

4/5/17
United States
Gumby90701 Could you post a pic of your work?? I'd be interested to compare. I was about to order the molotow pen and a tiny brush but think I will just pick them up from a craft store for a weekend project. Would like to see yours for inspo, though. Cheers all!

Gumby90701

15/10/14
Soloist i will post it a bit later. i dont have the watch with me right now. I will post it and tag you. and you dont have to remove the bezel, I didnt

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
KJ2020 thank you for your help. I did the mod and although it doesnt look as good as yours, it does look better than it did originally. thanks again

No problem bro. Next one I do I think I will try a dremel tool with a polishing wheel to remove the excess paint. I have an old bezel insert I can try that with to make sure It won't damage the ceramic, pretty sure it won't.

Reactions: Soloist

Gumby90701

15/10/14
tMRnm9W

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Great Bezel Mod!
It takes guts to put your watch in a Vice.....
I guess your Hulk lives up to his name!
Well done mate!

Haha thanks, I have NO IDEA how they got that thing on there with the original dimensions! I was getting desperate...