• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tips on installing seconds hand

SDRSR

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
30/12/16
Help! For the life of me, I cannot seem to mount seconds hands into my movements. I’ve tried various sets and various movements, so I know the problem is ME and not my parts. I picked up a Bergeon Hand Setting Tool (BG7404-2), but this doesn’t seem to help. The process seems straightforward, so I’m clearly missing something. Any general tips would be much appreciated.

Sent from the RWI mobile app

Cdenim

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
22/6/17
CHICAGO
As i'm sure you have done already, make sure the seconds hand is the correct size for the movements pinion. And I can't speak for the hand setter you're using as i have never used one. As i was taught, I use a flat bergeon 6751, or good flat tweezer grabing the hand strait up and down just before the pinion holes larger flat area. Not sure of your knowledge or ability, you probably want to use a lupe at 10 to 15x's to see the pinion as you line it up with the hand tube. As you get more practice you won't need the lupe anymore. You will be able to feel through the hand and tweezer when its atop the pinion. I use just enough pressure so the hand just catches the very top of the pinion and is sitting on the top. Then i use a hand setting pusher to push it on the pinion all the way. Only time there is an issue its the incorrect sized hand tube that has to be opened or closed up tighter depending on application.Good luck to you

Reactions: ep3mdz

bobandshawn

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
29/10/13
Florida
10x loupe and my hands resting on the table for support is a must for me. I also use a "unique" tool for setting the second hand. Think of a 10-penny nail. A large flat surface to push straight down over a larger area of the hand, rather than a small setting tool that can easily move off center...

Reactions: manodeoro

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
i use a toothpick with a blob of rodico to start it , then i use my JMB hand setting tool to finish

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
10x loupe and my hands resting on the table for support is a must for me. I also use a "unique" tool for setting the second hand. Think of a 10-penny nail. A large flat surface to push straight down over a larger area of the hand, rather than a small setting tool that can easily move off center...

i use a toothpick with a blob of rodico to start it , then i use my JMB hand setting tool to finish

A mix of both methods

- hold a little blob of rodico with a curved tweezer and "stick" the second hand with the rodico
- both hands resting on the table so that they dont flick too much
- place the second hand above the pinion and try to catch it
Somewhere during the process the tube of the second hand catch the pinion and stops moving ...even if I still flicker a little
At that vey moment I apply a light pressure with a plastic tongue depressor ...
Then some more pressure so that the pinion goes all the way into the second hand tube
Done ...

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
I hold the movement in my left hand, throw the second hand up in the air and let gravitational force push it on to the pinion as it falls - I sometimes need to move my left hand so that the hand lands right on the pinion.

Reactions: Cdenim

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
I hold the movement in my left hand, throw the second hand up in the air and let gravitational force push it on to the pinion as it falls - I sometimes need to move my left hand so that the hand lands right on the pinion.

We're talking about installing a second hand ... not playing bilboquet :p

Reactions: tripdog

Cdenim

INMATE
22/6/17
CHICAGO

never thought to do it that way..... but makes a crap ton of sense. Again... you never stop learning... going to try this next hand install

Cdenim

INMATE
22/6/17
CHICAGO

damn.. only seen one man pull that off. Lost an eye trying to catch it behind his back. Respect sir, respect.

yodog

Patron
Certified
2/9/11
In my parent's basement
and make sure not to press it down too hard - i've snapped many pinions on those shitty little 21Js removing and installing hands

bobandshawn

Patron
29/10/13
Florida
and make sure not to press it down too hard - i've snapped many pinions on those shitty little 21Js removing and installing hands

Too True. I will not even attempt to use 21j's in my builds any more. A2824 is the cheapest I'll go...

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16

Thank yodog ... it makes me feel better just to know I'm not the only one ;)