• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Help with fitting a new stem

acmcc

Supporter
Certified
3/4/14
I recently received a new ARF SD43 from a TD but when I unwound the crown to set the time it just came off in my hand (stem broken) the TD sent me a new stem but how do I cut it to length?
I'm guessing that the easiest way is to get another owner of a ARF SD43 to unwind the crown, pull out the crown all the way and then measure the distance of the crown to the case! other wise perhaps there is a way of measuring it correctly for cutting? if anyone could help it would be much appreciated

Hor-Fan

When the going gets weird
Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
Do you still have the two pieces of the old stem? If so, put them together on a piece of paper and mark the length then use this as a scale to mark the new one.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Cdenim

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
22/6/17
CHICAGO
Hor-Fan is precisely right. But this is another issue for the op.... is the other part of the stem still in the keyless work of the movement? If it is, before worrying about cutting that new stem, you're going to half to get that other part out of the keyless that i'm sure is locked in there. There is a way to do this without removing the movement, removing the hands and dial, getting around the dwo, and opening up the keyless work.

acmcc

Supporter
Certified
3/4/14
Do you still have the two pieces of the old stem? If so, put them together on a piece of paper and mark the length then use this as a scale to mark the new one.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

No the pieces are not complete, there is just enough of the old stem left in to get hold of to pull out once released. (I think.) but thanks for your advise, good idea.

acmcc

Supporter
Certified
3/4/14
Hor-Fan is precisely right. But this is another issue for the op.... is the other part of the stem still in the keyless work of the movement? If it is, before worrying about cutting that new stem, you're going to half to get that other part out of the keyless that i'm sure is locked in there. There is a way to do this without removing the movement, removing the hands and dial, getting around the dwo, and opening up the keyless work.

I think I might just be able to get to it, I'll take a photo and post it of what's left showing. The other option is to send it for service and have it sorted then, but I thought I'd try first.
Thanks for your help.

acmcc

Supporter
Certified
3/4/14
I guess I could also ask the TD to send a stem already fitted to the crown at the correct length and then if I can get the old one out it would fit straight in!

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Take it to a watch smith - it'll take him 10 minutes to fix and he won't destroy the keyless works or snap the new stem trying to cut it to length or screwing it back into the crown.

acmcc

Supporter
Certified
3/4/14
I would if there was a rep friendly one on the island, in fact I don't think there is one at all... who is the best to send it to for repair from the watch smiths on the forum? any UK ones?

acmcc

Supporter
Certified
3/4/14
I only got this to do a review of the watch with my gen! waited months for it and then they send it faulty....I guess that's the luck of the draw (I know my normal TD's would not of sent out a faulty one)

ado213

Renowned Member
27/4/12
UK
I'm in the UK and will do the repair FOC if you pay return postage, hope this helps

Reactions: M_Hall

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
I only got this to do a review of the watch with my gen! waited months for it and then they send it faulty....I guess that's the luck of the draw (I know my normal TD's would not of sent out a faulty one)

^^ You have a very kind offer above.

acmcc

Supporter
Certified
3/4/14
Thanks for your help guys, its probably better that I get it done by a professional - just in case I messed it up! Ado has very kindly offered to help me so I'm going to send it to him for repair. :star:

ado213

Renowned Member
27/4/12
UK
Quick update, watch received. Broken stem half removed from the movement. Unfortunately the other half of the stem is broken off pretty deep in the crown, so no chance of manual extraction.

The crown is now sat in a Alum liquer and should be ready in a couple of days.