• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Franken DateJust, tutorial/pictorial

slickdick

Looking Around
17/3/06
This post tells the story how to make a franken datejust in just a couple of unnumbered steps. This shows the fast way without changing the dial. This can be however easily be taken into the procedure.

The reason i want to do this is because i really like plastic crystals, and the profiles of that time. Also because the datejust reps are not ver accurate.

The ingredients of this project are:
-A fully functional replica datejust. The rep i used originated from river.
-A complete datejust case + crown i bought off the bay.

Tools needed:
-Watchmakers screwdriver set.
-grip tool to remove and set stem to crown. various tools can be used.

Stage one, spot the fake:

The donor and the gen 16030 case:

Note the differences in the dial, there are plenty!
this 16030 case was born mid 80' and originally houses the 3035 rolex caliber.

Lets compare a bit, this pic shows the profile of the rep case:

The gen profile:

Side by side

The crowns:

Note the spot on the gen case where the crown sits to the case, it is very different from the rep.

The casebacks

Note the rep caseback is much thicker and heavier then the gen.

Top shows the rep caseback, the fingerprints arent mine, so FBI, do not bother to match them up. the fingerprints are also not removable.

The crowns and stems side by side. The long one is the gen crown + stem

On this pic you see the ETA stem fitten to the rolex crown. Next to it the rolex stem and rep crown.

Here all parts except the casebacks. Top is the gen case, the gen crown fitted to the ETA stem, and bottom is the rep case housing the donor movement and spacer.

On this pic the empty donor shell is above, the movement is dropped into the gen case, and the plastic spacer is slided on top of it. Now a steel spacer would be better however i haven't got one so this will have to do for now.

The crown is fitted, the case closed, this is the result:

It still needs a few things, a steel spacer would add to the weight, and gives it a more geniune feel to it since a gen is heavier due to the movement. Also the dial needs replaced obviously. The rep dial is full of flaws. But i choose to take the shortcut route for this little tutorial since i havent got enought trust yet in my handsetting skill to undertake the procedure.

Hope this helps in your own projects

Regards,
Job

DrmMaster

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
2/1/06
very nice tutorial!...this is exactly the kind of information we need....KEEP IT COMMING GUYS.... [smilie=icon_study.gif]

Kerbus

Renowned Member
16/3/06
FL
Thanks very much for posting. It was an enjoyable read. I believe RBJ may have discussed elsewhere before, but I'm unsure: If one were to add a gen dial to such a project, would heavy mods/ shims/glue be necessary to get it fit the ETA mvt?

slickdick

Looking Around
17/3/06
No modifitaction where made to the geniune case. This is a mid eighties caliber 3035 based genuine case, other models may or may not need modification as i dont know.

I used the plastic spacer from the rep.
The spacer got 3 points sticking out, the caseback presses against these points, that and the crown keeps the movement in place.

the rep dial is exactly same size as gen.

[edit]
I must add, the rep dial and gen dial are exact same in this case, another datejust rep might just have a different sized dial, or even worse, the date more the the right. in which case you need a datewheel overlay.

Another point is that the rep used is repped after the recent model datejusts, not the same era as the genuine case used in this project originates from.
[/edit]

olympus

Horology Curious
16/4/06
Great job you must be proud.
Are the hands from the gen or the rep? I wish the seconds hand on mine went in to a sharp point like yours.

razzer

Known Member
23/9/12
Nice tut ,but having to leave the page every time to make a comparison really spoils the tut.

HarveyMushman

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/1/13
***BUMP***

Is it possible to fix a Genuine Rolex 16030 DJ dial to a 2836 movement?

kynikos

Known Member
12/1/15
I am waiting for better DJ reps...
Too expensive with gen case :(

Yeah, most reps are pretty bad. The fluted bezel is the biggest giveaway. Even the high quality reps can't seem to get that bezel machining looking very high quality - took much resemblance to a Reese's cup.

This is a great build though - really nice job OP, very impressive!!

airking1975

29/12/08
Been waiting forever for better DJ reps and bought tons of them.. Finally caved in and went Franken. Some folks built decent reps with rep parts and I am just amazed... Many years ago I think there were older style cases that were closer to gen shape. Always put on a WSO fluted bezel and gen crystal on my DJ reps.. But the cases and crowns are also dead giveaways

Maron

Mythical Poster
16/2/15
Canada
Been waiting forever for better DJ reps and bought tons of them.. Finally caved in and went Franken. Some folks built decent reps with rep parts and I am just amazed... Many years ago I think there were older style cases that were closer to gen shape. Always put on a WSO fluted bezel and gen crystal on my DJ reps.. But the cases and crowns are also dead giveaways

HI! I'm a noob with reps and just got my first two last week, although i've been studying the forums for months. I just got the noob factory dj2 and i'm considering some mods to it. Can you point me to any threads or tutorials that would give me a better idea. I thought about having the lume redone and the AR, but then I thought maybe just better to get a gen dial and crystal. What do you think?

Pratt

Put Some Respect On My Name
24/4/13
Gen dial n Clark crystal. A good date wheel.

airking1975

29/12/08
Not aware of many aftermarket DJII parts which are readily available on the bay, etc. there are plenty of DJ (DJI if you will) parts on the market.

In the mid 2000's rolex started to use solid end links, hidden clasps and thicker cases for the Datejust, then afterwards soon came the Datejust II. It marked the end of the classic datejust line, and everything made since then a datejust, to me is a modern homage to the classic datejust. Seems like new admirers of rolex like them a lot more than old admirers.

To each their own, however this is my own opinion: rolex caved into the big watch trend and created the DJII. Everyone should look at a classic datejust (there are so many versions produced for a span of five decades) prior to looking at a DJII, and if you really prefer the look of the DJII, go for it, at least appreciate it's lineage. Maybe you will take from the tutorial and realize it was not intended for a DJII build, and decide on a vintage datejust?

Reactions: Floris787

colt45gto

Renowned Member
22/12/10
i love the 36mm DJ's such a comfy watch on the wrist like a mascot on a car hood, it was designed to make the wearer look good.

i have been watching a few parts on the bay of gen DJ1's , mine has a gen crown i wanted a gen bezel and dial but the bezel and dial i want i could probably buy the whole gen watch.

i will be getting into this a little more soon. i am really interested in Horology i just need to remember a tiny tweak on the screw driver is the equivalent of 200ft/lb of torque on a lug nut.

scottiedog

I'm Pretty Popular
15/7/16
I know it's an old post, but as it is a (awesome) "sticky", is there a way to retrieve the images which are missing at post #1?