• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How To Find A Local Watchsmith

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
My signature line is too long, so I decided to just post this as a thread.

To find a local watch smith, look in your local telephone directory for watch and/or clock repair. Most small watch smith shops will be mom-and-pop businesses and will have little or no presence on the net. Do NOT try any ADs (new watch dealers) or large chain jewelry stores.

Call them and tell them you have a watch that is a replica and uses a Chinese movement that, to your understanding, is a clone of an ETA movement. Tell them you know the watch isn't worth anything, but it was a gift and has sentimental value. Tell them that you were just wondering if they could look at it and SEE if they can service it. Let them know that you will NOT HOLD THEM RESPONSIBLE IN ANY WAY if the movement breaks while they are inspecting or servicing it, and that you will pay them for their time even if this happens. (Most are afraid of Chinese clone movements because they know nothing of them and are afraid that they are so cheaply made that even examining them will break them, and then they would be responsible to repair or replace the movement). You may have to call several before one agrees.

Once they see the movement, you'll have no problems. Develop a relationship by talking with them about watches and movements, asking how they got started in this, etc. Do NOT ask if they would be willing to work on other reps for you - this will scare them (if they don't yet know and trust you) that you are somehow going to get them involved in something illegal. If you have other reps, bring one in a few weeks later, etc. After you develop the relationship, you will have no problems.

Good luck!

gran

Known Member
16/5/06
super post. Thank you levelmanroger!

Happy Timekeeping
Gunnar Gran

P4GTR

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
9/9/07
Just thought it should be said, great post. Excellent idea Level.

JellyJoe

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/9/09
If I post name and address of my smithy he will crucify me lol.
Nice post roger.

Reactions: 1manband

JC7

15/6/10
Found one in Florida thanks to this post. Thanks LevelM!

JC7

15/6/10
wonder if there would be interest in a section entitled "Local Watchsmith reviews."?

Not a horrible idea.. but like JellyJoe said above I'm not sure how many mainstream watchsmiths would appreciate being advertised on a replica forum.

colt45gto

Renowned Member
22/12/10
there is a watch smith a few miles from me also deals in rolex but used. i called in there once to have new spring bars fitted to an old rep i had, i mentioned it was a rep.....he didn't care and said he would service it when the time comes. he was the shop owner too nice chap. he did say the watch is a POS but had a rep himself :lol:

watch died a few weeks after it took on water and i didn't realise til it steamed up. kinda figured it was beyond repair. was 3 yrs old.

so i know where to go with mine :)