• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How To Find A Local Watchsmith

LoneStarr

27/2/13
does anybody know of one in Orange County, CA (preferred), or LA County or San Diego, CA county?

watchpt

Renowned Member
31/3/06
Hey guys,
I am also looking for a Socal watch guy. I'm around Pasadena and OC a lot so either location would be ideal.

Thanks!

sybariten

Puts the "ass" in classy
9/7/12
Sydney
I'm also looking for a smithy here in Sydney. If anyone has one to recommend, feel free to PM me. Thanks!

Bill Clinton

Horology Curious
19/9/12
Or someone I can send my watch to on here who is in the 50 states so I can get in back In a short time

Billd

27/6/13
New York City Area
Ditto on the "thanks". I was just thinking about this!

If anyone has a reco for a watchsmith in the Sarasota, FL area, please PM me.

Cheers,

Bill

Cpayne

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/6/13
If anyone knows of a good rep guy in South Fl please PM...and great article...
Thanks,
Cliff

tonymission

10/6/13
I have a north suburbs Atlanta guy if anyone is interested PM me. Longtime watchmaker and jeweler as well so can clean up messy metals pretty well! Done a lot of work for me. Honest and fair.

blonderoast23

Looking Around
25/7/13
adding to the list here too - if anyone knows of a rep friendly watch smith in Chicago, IL - please PM me.

asschergirl

Looking Around
3/5/12
Does anyone know of a watchsmith in Glasgow or Scotland in general. i need a few mods made to a Datejust.

Thanks

Henío

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
14/8/13
My signature line is too long, so I decided to just post this as a thread.

To find a local watch smith, look in your local telephone directory for watch and/or clock repair. Most small watch smith shops will be mom-and-pop businesses and will have little or no presence on the net. Do NOT try any ADs (new watch dealers) or large chain jewelry stores.

Call them and tell them you have a watch that is a replica and uses a Chinese movement that, to your understanding, is a clone of an ETA movement. Tell them you know the watch isn't worth anything, but it was a gift and has sentimental value. Tell them that you were just wondering if they could look at it and SEE if they can service it. Let them know that you will NOT HOLD THEM RESPONSIBLE IN ANY WAY if the movement breaks while they are inspecting or servicing it, and that you will pay them for their time even if this happens. (Most are afraid of Chinese clone movements because they know nothing of them and are afraid that they are so cheaply made that even examining them will break them, and then they would be responsible to repair or replace the movement). You may have to call several before one agrees.

Once they see the movement, you'll have no problems. Develop a relationship by talking with them about watches and movements, asking how they got started in this, etc. Do NOT ask if they would be willing to work on other reps for you - this will scare them (if they don't yet know and trust you) that you are somehow going to get them involved in something illegal. If you have other reps, bring one in a few weeks later, etc. After you develop the relationship, you will have no problems.

Good luck!

Excellent information. Thank you. Do you recommend having a watch serviced as soon as you recieve it?