• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How To Find A Local Watchsmith

crazyfastbeats

28/9/09
Merry Christmas for Everybody. Any Trusted Watchmaker in NYC?

+1 I would also like to get a good recommendation for a watchsmith in NYC or bergen NJ.

I live in NJ but work in midtown area so it would be convenient that it gets repaired while I'm on RWI at work, :D

Reactions: phillyink

SubDude

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
26/11/11
Although I am no longer a a watchmaker by profession, I do still repair watches. I am in WIlmington, NC and am willing to take repair jobs for anyone who needs it. I don't work on chronograph movements, though, but standard movements are no problem. I am cheap and would give complete estimates before doing any work.
The reaqson I am writing this is that I have seen numerous posts from people loooking for watchmakers, and, having been in the business I know how rare they are. WHen I started watchmaking school, there were 28 watchmaking schools in the US with an average enrollment of 24. Now there are 6 schools with an average enrollment of 6. We are a dying breed, yet mechanical watches are on a massive upswing.
So...I offer whatever services I can be to anyone near me, or willing to ship to me. Whatever help I can be, let me know.

Dave

lildaddym

Renowned Member
14/3/10
Hey, sir,

Can I assume that you do clean/lube, etc. on movements? I have a DG2813 that might need it...heck, I have one movement that has a mainspring problem...drop me a PM... :)

Although I am no longer a a watchmaker by profession, I do still repair watches. I am in WIlmington, NC and am willing to take repair jobs for anyone who needs it. I don't work on chronograph movements, though, but standard movements are no problem. I am cheap and would give complete estimates before doing any work.
The reaqson I am writing this is that I have seen numerous posts from people loooking for watchmakers, and, having been in the business I know how rare they are. WHen I started watchmaking school, there were 28 watchmaking schools in the US with an average enrollment of 24. Now there are 6 schools with an average enrollment of 6. We are a dying breed, yet mechanical watches are on a massive upswing.
So...I offer whatever services I can be to anyone near me, or willing to ship to me. Whatever help I can be, let me know.

Dave

smascarinas

I'm Pretty Popular
16/2/10
So where would your rates start at.. Let's say for these movements
Asian 21j's - swaps
Asian/Swiss 6497 - overhaul
Asian/Swiss 2824 - overhaul
...etc...

Dave

mianos

You're Saying I Can Sell?
1/9/11
Did any of you aussies get a PM of an AU watchsmith? I've got a watch that's been back to China once and replaced with another with what I think is bent hands and I don't think it's worth the almost 3 month wait for them to get it back to me (1 week in post, 2 months there and 2 weeks back :( ).

luckie

19/12/11
Great info as I live in a small town in SC now and there is a Jewelry shop there I was thinking of approaching but was unaware of how to. thanks. I may also contact Drifter as he is close by mail anyway.

Reactions: TimingGun

mianos

1/9/11
Found a guy in Chinatown Sydney who decased the movement and resetup the hands. I watched him a bit, he had the winder off and movement out of the case in under 30 seconds.

Strodda

Supporter 'smith
Supporter
21/1/11
TX/USA
Any know repair shops/people that will do work on rep's? I'm in California, so I would prefer someone as close to the west coast(USA) as possible.

I just bought one, and I'll be getting a few more rep's in the near future and would like to get them serviced for preventative measures.

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
Any know repair shops/people that will do work on rep's? I'm in California, so I would prefer someone as close to the west coast(USA) as possible.

I just bought one, and I'll be getting a few more rep's in the near future and would like to get them serviced for preventative measures.

Here is a link. I think he is in Los Angeles.
http://www.clswatch.info/CLS/home.html

miffy

26/8/11
Can anybody PM me the name of a trusted repair shop / person located in North East England?

Reactions: Idex

wolfpacker

Known Member
13/2/12
The more I read the more I stumble on to valuable information here. You guys are great. Glad to know that SubDude is not to far from me and I'll have someone I can contact.

acerbitdrain

Looking Around
14/3/12
Does anyone know a replica watch repairer in Melbourne, Australia?
I have a Bell & Ross BR01-94 that needs to be repaired.