• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How To Find A Local Watchsmith

ZTime

19/10/22
USA
I know I am new here but I have used this guy for my Gen twice. Shipped both times. He was quick and great. I searched online for someone in Ohio who works on rep's and his name came up, I guess I never paid attention before I was interested in a rep.

https://www.ohiowatchrepair.com Can only speak to my experience but he has been great and came highly recommend to me years ago but I don't recall who recommended him.

Reactions: VicTheSwede

VicTheSwede

Looking Around
24/3/21
Los Angeles, CA
Does anyone know of a watch smith in the Los Angeles area who would work on a Chinese movement? I have had no luck and even got a no from trusted repair guys listed on the forum.

nbmem

Looking Around
1/11/22
Any recommended watch repairs in Singapore? Trying to repair a replica patek

TXWATCHMAN

Horology Curious
12/3/22
If you search "Los Angeles" in this sub forum you can find a few suggestions. I have used Raul at Sunset Watch Repair (close to Dodger stadium). He is good and reasonable prices. Post here if you have found or use anyone else. GL.
Had Raul switch out a movement and dial on a 16610. Nice work and good prices. I will use him again.

Times Radical

Horology Curious
2/11/22
My signature line is too long, so I decided to just post this as a thread.

To find a local watch smith, look in your local telephone directory for watch and/or clock repair. Most small watch smith shops will be mom-and-pop businesses and will have little or no presence on the net. Do NOT try any ADs (new watch dealers) or large chain jewelry stores.

Call them and tell them you have a watch that is a replica and uses a Chinese movement that, to your understanding, is a clone of an ETA movement. Tell them you know the watch isn't worth anything, but it was a gift and has sentimental value. Tell them that you were just wondering if they could look at it and SEE if they can service it. Let them know that you will NOT HOLD THEM RESPONSIBLE IN ANY WAY if the movement breaks while they are inspecting or servicing it, and that you will pay them for their time even if this happens. (Most are afraid of Chinese clone movements because they know nothing of them and are afraid that they are so cheaply made that even examining them will break them, and then they would be responsible to repair or replace the movement). You may have to call several before one agrees.

Once they see the movement, you'll have no problems. Develop a relationship by talking with them about watches and movements, asking how they got started in this, etc. Do NOT ask if they would be willing to work on other reps for you - this will scare them (if they don't yet know and trust you) that you are somehow going to get them involved in something illegal. If you have other reps, bring one in a few weeks later, etc. After you develop the relationship, you will have no problems.

Good luck!
As a watchmaker I agree. This would be a very friendly and easy way to get the door.

Reactions: bkshadow

dmxzorq

Who let the dog's out!?
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
Certified
14/5/18
Any watchsmith in Poland or EU close to Poland?

Looking to service my TC v6 + waterproofing ;)

Reactions: millklones

Bearmarketrader

You're Saying I Can Sell?
2/9/20
Chicago
I found a watch repair store in St. Louis who indicated to me that they would be open to fixing a replica. I have not used them yet, but I can share who it is if anyone would like their info.
I know this is a
Looking for a watch smith in the Chicago area

Sent from my iPhone using RWI
Did you ever find a watch smith who would work on reps in Chicago? If so, would you be kind to PM the name, etc. Thank you in advance!

BrainCurse

Known Member
Certified
12/2/23
CONUS
My signature line is too long, so I decided to just post this as a thread.

To find a local watch smith, look in your local telephone directory for watch and/or clock repair. Most small watch smith shops will be mom-and-pop businesses and will have little or no presence on the net. Do NOT try any ADs (new watch dealers) or large chain jewelry stores.

Call them and tell them you have a watch that is a replica and uses a Chinese movement that, to your understanding, is a clone of an ETA movement. Tell them you know the watch isn't worth anything, but it was a gift and has sentimental value. Tell them that you were just wondering if they could look at it and SEE if they can service it. Let them know that you will NOT HOLD THEM RESPONSIBLE IN ANY WAY if the movement breaks while they are inspecting or servicing it, and that you will pay them for their time even if this happens. (Most are afraid of Chinese clone movements because they know nothing of them and are afraid that they are so cheaply made that even examining them will break them, and then they would be responsible to repair or replace the movement). You may have to call several before one agrees.

Once they see the movement, you'll have no problems. Develop a relationship by talking with them about watches and movements, asking how they got started in this, etc. Do NOT ask if they would be willing to work on other reps for you - this will scare them (if they don't yet know and trust you) that you are somehow going to get them involved in something illegal. If you have other reps, bring one in a few weeks later, etc. After you develop the relationship, you will have no problems.

Good luck!
This was excellent advice. I was able to find a local watch repair place that is happy to take a look.

gtageek

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/5/23
Los Angeles
Looking for a watch-smith in LA, Southern California, or West Coast who works on 4130 clone movements. Thanks!

John_Masterson

11/7/12
Chicago, IL
Looking for a watch smith in Chicago, IL or nearby. Need work done on an ZF AP 15202. Please advise as any help is much appreciated. I don't want to ship outside of CONUS

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
Please advise as any help is much appreciated. I don't want to ship outside of CONUS
Open up Google.

Search for "Watchsmith" or "Watchmaker" or "Watch repairs" in your state.

Then get em on the phone and be as friendly as you are.

"Hey Sir, I got a problem with my watch, it has issue XY, would you mind having a look on it? Movement is an asian ETA" or something like that".

No one will fulfill your nightmares of calling you names, calling the cops, shooting you or whatever.
The replica is yours, and worst thing what can happen is "Sir, I am Sorry, i dont work on replica watches from asia market".

Go for it, get your balls:)

Reactions: MaraudingWalrus