• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How To Find A Local Watchsmith

Noobylover

Known Member
28/2/21
My signature line is too long, so I decided to just post this as a thread.

To find a local watch smith, look in your local telephone directory for watch and/or clock repair. Most small watch smith shops will be mom-and-pop businesses and will have little or no presence on the net. Do NOT try any ADs (new watch dealers) or large chain jewelry stores.

Call them and tell them you have a watch that is a replica and uses a Chinese movement that, to your understanding, is a clone of an ETA movement. Tell them you know the watch isn't worth anything, but it was a gift and has sentimental value. Tell them that you were just wondering if they could look at it and SEE if they can service it. Let them know that you will NOT HOLD THEM RESPONSIBLE IN ANY WAY if the movement breaks while they are inspecting or servicing it, and that you will pay them for their time even if this happens. (Most are afraid of Chinese clone movements because they know nothing of them and are afraid that they are so cheaply made that even examining them will break them, and then they would be responsible to repair or replace the movement). You may have to call several before one agrees.

Once they see the movement, you'll have no problems. Develop a relationship by talking with them about watches and movements, asking how they got started in this, etc. Do NOT ask if they would be willing to work on other reps for you - this will scare them (if they don't yet know and trust you) that you are somehow going to get them involved in something illegal. If you have other reps, bring one in a few weeks later, etc. After you develop the relationship, you will have no problems.

Good luck!

Great thread. I found a trusted master watchmaker in New Orleans (my neighborhood) that will work on reps. But the guys in RWI have you covered!!!!! So many resources here and a few PM’s you have whatever you need (give or take a few weeks).

Sent from the RWI App

rtorres99

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/3/14
Hello looking for a watch smith in spain have a couple of reps that need service please let me know thanks

Markaplan

Supporter
9/10/20
Anyone knows a good watch smith in Dubai who has a time Grapher? My Rolex submariner is losing about 5 min per day. It’s an easy 5 min fix with a time Grapher.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Farxxx

JJMan

24/3/21
Great post, thanks. I had the same question

Eatdirtfartdust

Known Member
17/4/19
STL. MO USA
Looking for a rep-smith in the Midwest. Maybe even St. Louis area.
I have one needing a new tube and crown.
And another that has a stuck GMT hand under an indicator and it feels gritty when I adjust or wind it.

I also have a Longines where the moon-phase doesn't adjust, but I'm sure that one is totaled. The two smiths I've talked to so far don't want to touch it.

tomaslc

1/6/20
Discovered this thread recently and was thinking : why don’t we create a private google map where anyone knowing a watchsmith or a servicer working with reps can pin them on the map so it becomes our database? If I collect some positive feedback on that idea I could create the map and share the link.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant RWI

icyberwatch

Tick Tock
Patron
Certified
1/3/20
USA - Cal
I am looking for a rep Smith to service my watches in the SF Bay Area if anyone knows. Local is better I can have a relationship with them if not I am willing to ship in the US locally. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Eatdirtfartdust

Known Member
17/4/19
STL. MO USA
I found a watch repair store in St. Louis who indicated to me that they would be open to fixing a replica. I have not used them yet, but I can share who it is if anyone would like their info.

hosanci

Horology Curious
12/4/21
I am still active watch maker, I was barred cause they wanted to verify my genuinity I had already provided my identity but I am not sure of my status on this site anyway you can text or call on 2898927786

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Has anyone in Toronto area used Yasirkasimi yet?

frankhamil

29/11/09
Great suggestion by OP. I tired this with a longtime watchmaker here in Lexington, KY. Had my watch for a month. Finally got a call saying he couldn't fix it. I don't really think he even looked at it.
Anyway, I'd like to find someone I could ship two watches to see if they can fix them. Both were bought from TDs.
Watch 1: Yachtmaster II (I know most of you hate them). Watch runs for a couple of days when hand wound, but self wind mechanism doesn't seem to be working. Paid around $400.
Watch 2: Breguet 5 Day Tourbillon, self-winding. Also runs fine when hand wound. Paid around $900. Less of an issue hand winding this one, since it doesn't have a screw down stem. Sort of worried about having someone work on a Tourbillon.
I'm not one to work on my own watches, so I'd like to find someone who can repair these, if possible.
The only other watch I've purchased from a TD works perfectly and keeps great time. It's a Tudor Bronze Blackbay.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Frank Hamilton

Hillstar

24/2/21
Anyone from Los Angeles or the San Fernando Valley that can recommend a watchmaker? Thanks

u3228

16/12/13
Hi mates, any recommendation in Spain? I want someone to replace the pip on my Rolex submariner rep bezel that has turned into an ugly greeny thing.

Very much appreciated!

WolfKissed

Renowned Member
Supporter
29/6/21
California
Let me know if anyone has Orange County or Souther California Based service person for my AP Diver V3, thanks

Been a long time since this post but ever find a good watch service in OC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shamanblues999

25/4/18
Anyone from Los Angeles or the San Fernando Valley that can recommend a watchmaker? Thanks

If you search "Los Angeles" in this sub forum you can find a few suggestions. I have used Raul at Sunset Watch Repair (close to Dodger stadium). He is good and reasonable prices. Post here if you have found or use anyone else. GL.

Hillstar

24/2/21
If you search "Los Angeles" in this sub forum you can find a few suggestions. I have used Raul at Sunset Watch Repair (close to Dodger stadium). He is good and reasonable prices. Post here if you have found or use anyone else. GL.

Thanks for the assist. My office is downtown so when needed I’ll try Sunset Watch Repair.

Reactions: CycleBuyer