• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How to apply the DWO on a 2824 and don't become crazy?

ginopino

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/16
Hi guys, yesterday I started messing with DWO's. Want to share the experience and find tips from you to create a good reference to help everybody that wanna do the same things.

Why I need to adjust my DWO?
Simply because the actual alignment is not satisfying me. After a service, the date sits too low and my eyes can't spot it everytime.

I didn't want to go mad trying to apply the dial hundreds of time (with the risk of ruin it) to find out if is in the center of the date window, so I bought this well know and really nice "custom" tool from Jerkstore:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/L...a09bbf7959ecd88dbc54b19c55a&optionId=14341170

Honestly I recommend it to everybody, is a small expense that will repay when you will use it.
The tool came without dial feet of course, so I bought a set of mixed dial feet, find the one right for the ETA plate and applied with some glue on it. Perfect.

jybwZyn.jpg

MmfM2d5.jpg

Before starting I also searched and found another TC DWO v4, in the case I will mess up with mine, and was a good idea because... I messed up with mine :D
Tried to remove adhesive dial dots in the back of the DWO with cutter, but some residue remain on it.
So I took a swab with a little of alcool on it and it worked. But unfortunately, a little particle of alcool goes on the other side ruining the print.

1YE01MM.jpg

The DWO ink seems to be very sensitive to alcohol.... So, DON'T DO IT!

I always read enough before starting doing new things, so I know that the real DW need to be cleaned, sometimes sanded and well prepared for the glue.
And I did it, cleaned perfectly.
The same goes for the DWO, and I did it.

One simple thing was unknown: the 2824 DW sits too low on the plate and the DWO will rub on it. Shit.
Now I realize why, on my DWO, there was a sort of spacer (regret not take photograph of it) between DW and DWO!
It's sticky and fortunately I did not throw it, so I reapplied it on the DW and tried to apply the DWO.

I use the G-S Hypo Cement Glue, it gives you +/- 5 minutes to position the DWO before starting to dry.

This was the first attempt:

KrlwOWo.jpg

I applied and totally removed (and also all the glue) the DWO 3 times before find the right solution.
But this was because I had not documented enough...

First attempt was without the spacer, so DWO rubbing on the dial movement - removed.
Second attempt, with the spacer, good centering, but when the date change on some numbers, the flips is not smooth and remains between a date and another. - removed everything to see what's happened.
I found out nothing special, cleaned again the DW and reapplied.
Third attempt seems ok, everything seems to works good.

So I installed the dial, made another test and... DAMN, again the date change problem.
Disassembled everything and I found out that the DWO, on some point, is rubbing on the dial. This friction seems to create the problem.
By now I solved putting a little space between dial and movement, just a fraction of millimeters and the date flips ok.

KT8IYJw.jpg

At the moment is the best I could, but I want to solve it in the right way.
I read (later...) that others use the 2836 date wheel that naturally raises the overlay to where it won't rub on the movement gears.
My questions about that is:
With the DWO installed, it won't rub the dial?
Needs sanding because too tick or is ready to go as is?

Otherwise, I need to find the correct thickness of spacer between DW and DWO and apply on it, but really wouldn't do it because can always cause other problems because it won't be "perfect".

If someone has other information about, please post here.

p.s.
I deliberately omitted the keyless issues that came up when everything was installed on the movement, ready to go in the case and the swear words that comes later... I'm starting to hate the ETA keyless...

:)

pippo

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/1/10
Very informative and well written thread!
Thank you, we all know how much time it takes to put all together

ginopino

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/16
Very informative and well written thread!
Thank you, we all know how much time it takes to put all together
Thank you mate :)
I'm waiting for a 2836-2 DW, hope to have updates soon! :)

ginopino

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/16
Hi mate, thanks for interesting!
I received the 2836 DW but waiting for some time to spend for install. Hope to update the thread next weekend!

BruceLee55

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/6/17
Thank you for sharing this, exactly what I was looking for. I found a cheap gen dial without feet and thought about putting it on a 2824. waiting for updates. Wish everyone a good weekend.

jumpope

Supporter
Certified
3/12/09
Nashville, USA
When I tried to use a xx36 date wheel on a xx24, I could not put the dial in place as the date wheel hits the dial. Two different movements on the dial side. Not saying that its never been done, just that I found that it did not work.

jumpope

Supporter
Certified
3/12/09
Nashville, USA
On the 2824, if you apply a DWO to the stock date wheel the DWO will rub on the screw that holds the minute wheel bridge.

What has worked for me is to put two layers of Scotch brand Magic tape on the bare date wheel (along the same line, over each other) and then apply the DWO with Loctite Stick 'n Seal (a contact cement). You'll have a few minutes to positions the DWO but the cement is sticky enough to hold the DWO in place while you work and test and work and test. Then I put two layers of the tape on the top of the dial ring. Rub it down good and then trim it with a razor blade. This has worked for me, every time. If you lift the DWO above the date wheel, then you have to lift the dial above the dial ring the same amount.

If you use the Magic tape, it has a texture so the cement will adhere to it.

Reactions: KJ2020

Rjw252

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/1/16
Looks like something I would literally lose my mind over. I got agitated just reading it.

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
thanks for the info @jumpope !!!
I will write asap my experience!

Update? How did the 2836 DW work with DWO on your 2824 movement any rubbing on the dial?

I'm currently working on the same project using dial dots on 2824 dw to raise up a little for dwo install but seems the dial still rubs dial..

Dwo installed after (not pictured) and after install into case the dial rub's against the dwo not enough clearance, dial spacer ring too thin...

ginopino

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/16
Yes, with the 2836 DW you always need the spacer between movement and dial.
What is interesting is that TC never put a spacer and the DW didn’t rub the dial. Is so precise that is not needed.

Dial spacer pads you use to raise up the DWO looks too tick to me.

Always referring to TC: he used a bi-adesive pad with same size of the DW that, from what I can see in pictures, is half the tick of the pads, more or less.

At today I didn’t find something to put under the DWO to raise up the correct height and I reused the pad that TC’s used.

Reactions: KJ2020

ado213

Renowned Member
27/4/12
UK
TC's DWO's were fitted with double sided tape to a standard A2824 datewheel. This raised his DWO off the datewheel to clear the mainplate mechanism. The reason TC's DWO did not touch the back side of the dial was the actual movement spacer itself. The movement sat back from the front edge of the movement spacer, which in turn was clamped to the movement via two screws, making the movement spacer and movement one complete piece

Thus he created a space between the movement and the dial to accept his DWO.

Don't forget, everything you add to the front side of the movement/dial, pushes the whole movement backwards and therefore changes the stem alignment with the case tube. Even marginal differences in movement to stem height can create issues further down the line and increase wear in the movement mainplate.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
The reason TC's DWO did not touch the back side of the dial was the actual movement spacer itself. The movement sat back from the front edge of the movement spacer, which in turn was clamped to the movement via two screws, making the movement spacer and movement one complete piece

Thus he created a space between the movement and the dial to accept his DWO.

Trying to visualize this. By "the front edge" of the spacer, do you mean the TOP edge? If so, that must be a pretty tall movement holder. Ingenious, though!

Reactions: wisedennis

ado213

Renowned Member
27/4/12
UK
Yes the top edge of the movement spacer. The movement is recessed into the movement holder

ginopino

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/16
Yes the top edge of the movement spacer. The movement is recessed into the movement holder

I confirm this but I can't remember how the movement is fixed on the spacer. Do you have some pics? I'm wondering if is possible to recess it in the "correct position" without remove dial + hands.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18

Thanks bro. Too bad more movement holders aren't like this. Built in dial spacer, nice!

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Here's a couple pics of the TC combo movement holder and dial spacer. I added some additional bracelet tape strips for extra dial clearance due to using a gen-spec DW as a DWO.

H9mNk8.jpeg

H9mEOR.jpeg

Gen or gen-spec DW as a DWO

Reactions: oldtools