• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

16800 COMEX Build

Sylhab03

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
19/11/16
"Chapeau bas" as the frenchmen say !! :notworthy::applause:

Sylhab03

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
19/11/16

pippo

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/1/10
Unbelievable!
Congrats my friend you have indeed a pure talent.

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
I must thank you 3 times,shouldn't I ?
So :
- merci
- thank you
- takk (bokmål ... for those who don't know)

Sent from the RWI App

Nur-Uhr

Time Machine
Patron
Certified
20/2/17
EU
This is a very impressive thread you started.
Good job!
When reading your text and looking at the pictures, I had the feeling that looks easy, but everybody knows it is not. Unbelieveable how you managed this and also your future plans.
Greatest respect to your done work and build.

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
This is a very impressive thread you started.
Good job!
When reading your text and looking at the pictures, I had the feeling that looks easy, but everybody knows it is not. Unbelieveable how you managed this and also your future plans.
Greatest respect to your done work and build.

Thanks [emoji6]
Not easy but some parts are not that difficult.
Drilling the lugs from scratch has been the most difficult part of that mod.
My "philosophy", concerning watch making and life in general, could be sum up in a sentence like : "if it can be done then I should try to do" ... and it often works [emoji39]

Sent from the RWI App

ginopino

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/16
Thanks [emoji6]
My "philosophy", concerning watch making and life in general, could be sum up in a sentence like : "if it can be done then I should try to do" ... and it often works [emoji39]
I share your attitude :) :) :)

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
I share your attitude :) :) :)
Great ... so if you find some good tricks to make things easier don't forget to share [emoji39]

But sometimes the way of life puts you in weird situations ... that's how I got running a 63 miles [emoji23]

Sent from the RWI App

esco

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/7/08
Can't wait to see the new dial... the engraving on the back is top notch too, excellent work here. Your son is lucky to have such a thoughtful dad!

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Someone here PMed me to ask how I managed to print on linen to build my "vintage" box.
I really prefer to share with all members that could be interested so here is my secret ... I DID NOT ACTUALLY PRINTED ON LINEN :hehehe:

I just used some "inkjet transfer paper" ... REALLY EASIER.
Of course THE PROBLEM when using transfer paper is that you get a "plastified" surface after you apply the iron and you dont want that.
But it's easy to avoid that problem.
Transfer paper is made in 2 layers :
- paper support layer
- printable "plastic" layer
So you just have to carefully cut the printable layer around the printed surface ... without cutting the paper support layer
Below are the pics I took while doing that ...

STEP 01 - "MIRROR" PRINT

UiOV3.jpg

STEP 02 - CAREFULLY CUT AROUND THE PRINTED PARTS

UFQns.jpg

UFUrh.jpg

STEP 03 - PLACE ON YOUR LINEN

UFsd8.jpg

UF9n3.jpg

STEP 04 - CAREFULLY IRON ... NO STEAM ... any color of iron can do but pink is nice

UFP5b.jpg

STEP 05 - LET IT COOL... REMOVE THE PAPER SUPPORT SHEET

UFff2.jpg

I DEFINITELY LOVE THAT BOX

US8U6.jpg

Last edited:
D

d4m.test

This has been a great thread, You sir did an amazing job at several crafts all in one!

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
After hostingpics going down all the pics on that thread had disappeared ... so yesterday evening I searched for the pics on my computer and patiently reuploaded everything :bang:
Now it's done (I just lost 3 pics) and it's time make live again.

So ... I'm working on the 3d version of the dial but that's not the most amusing part.

What will be fun is the ... DATEWHEEL
The existing one was not really accurate as in 1984 the 16800 had datewheels with open 6 and 9.
I've been searching for a period correct overlay but, as I have a DG2813 on that watch, I couldn't find any.

So the only ways to get a correct DW with open 6and 9 was :
1 - swap the movement ... which I wouldn't do on that watch as it's beautifull (IMHO) but really cheap build
2 - build my own DWO with photo paper
3 - mod the existing datewheel

Those who know me well have aleready guessed that I have chosen what my twisted mind sees as the simplest solution ... MOD THE EXISTING DATEWHEEL

So I have already removed and sanded the existing datewheel disk and of course I have created an "open 6 and 9" datewheel desing with Illustrator, using a Gen 16800 datewheel disk as a template.

USg40.jpg

Next steps will be :
1 - spraypaint the datewheel disk in a "dull" white (for the vintage look) ... work in progress
2 - put the decal on the datewheel disk
3 - put the disk back on the movement to check if everything is OK and every nulber is well positionned
4 - remove the datewheel disk again
5 - protect the decal with my "special" varnish and bake it in the oven ... crossing my fingers and hoping that nothin will move during the baking
6 - put the datewheel disk back on the movement again

In the meantime I'll test the watch's level of waterproofness ... already tested at 5atm but I want to try 6atm (the best my tester can do).

Last edited:

brok landers

19/4/16
Wow. What a thread! I have to ask, how did you create the correct font for the DW in illustrator? Is it commonly available? Tell me you didn't draw it by hand!!! Amazing skills ...

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Wow. What a thread! I have to ask, how did you create the correct font for the DW in illustrator? Is it commonly available? Tell me you didn't draw it by hand!!! Amazing skills ...

As far as I know there is no dial or DW design commonly available on ait. format.
Plus there is so much variants depending on the model and the period so that it would be almost impossible to find the exact one.

So YEP !!! I have just gathered as much pics of Gen 16800 DWs as possible and created mine by hand.

Really time consuming and a huge pain for the eyes ... that's why I replied a polite but firm "NO" to KJ2020 when he asked if I would email him my ait file here https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...24#post7137224
BTW ... you know what ?... I used my left hand furthermore :hehehe:

UhIv0.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: SRower003

brok landers

19/4/16
So YEP !!! I have just gathered as much pics of Gen 16800 DWs as possible and created mine by hand.

Haha! Well, props to you and your left-handed mouse friend!

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Haha! Well, props to you and your left-handed mouse friend!

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

I have realised that many pics were still missing so I have added them just now.
My other build threads still miss the pics but I'll reupload soon then paint the links "green" in my signature

BTW ... my mouse is right-handed you know ... I'm the only deviant in the team ????

Last edited:
Reactions: brok landers

selseq

Horology Curious
8/9/18
I applaud you Sir. This is awesome. This post almost makes we want to take up watchmaking myself. Good stuff.

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
I applaud you Sir. This is awesome. This post almost makes we want to take up watchmaking myself. Good stuff.
Thanks buddy
2 years ago I just had suscribed here, looked at the builds and thought that "someday" I would try.
And here I am ????

Envoyé de mon Moto G (5) Plus en utilisant Tapatalk