• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

16800 COMEX Build

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
GOODIES

As I already specified in the "WHYs" I have built that watch for my eldest son.
It was supposed to be a birthday present but I was "a little" late so instead of getting it last February he got it on May, as me met together in France.

So as this was a "gift watch" I decided to make some special goodies.

First goodie was a Rolex calendar, 1983-1984 so period correct with the watch (which was supposed to be circa 1984).
Photoshop is a powerfull soft and I'm always amazed to see what one can do with a little time spent, a good printer and a "McGyver's attitude".

Ug4HG.jpg

Ugreq.jpg

Second goodie was a very personnal interpretation of what could be a vintage Rolex service box.
I really tried to source the same brown paper that covers those old boxes but as I failed I used a nice linen for the outside and grège paper for the inside.

I wont detail how I "printed" the crwon and the Rolex brand on it, nor how I built i from an old cardbord calendar, but if you really want to know just ask me and I'll put some pics of the process later.

UFNzd.jpg

UFijZ.jpg

So now we have a case with drilled lugs, a modded dial, a movement (unchanged) and a 93150 bracelet + endlinks that have been modded to take 2mm bars (pics of the process have already been posted in my tutos).
All that should make a complete watch.
Plus we have some nice (IMHO) branded and period correct goodies.

Seems we are at the very end of that thread ... but I really think that will be my last words for today

... TO BE CONTINUED ...

Last edited:
Reactions: SRower003

kkgkkg

Known Member
9/6/16
casually printed your own dial.

mad props. allow me to be the first to say WOW

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
also adopt me please

and sorry but NO :hehehe:

I already have 2 sons and I think that's enough for me.

The older one has already received his "birth year watch" ... 16800 Comex cause he's a diver

The younger one is still waiting for his.
He's an engineer just like his brother but he prefers flying to diving and he has succesfully passed on his first certificate to become a paraglider instructor this summer.
I already have a build project for him ... a 3590.90 Moonwatch Speedmaster circa 1990.
Not as rare and not as expensive than a 16800 Comex (in Gen) but certainly a much more difficult build.
Now it's just a pending project and I wont work on it until next year ... in the meanwhile I'm thinking "McGyver's style" to find a way to build that watch.
Could be something like this ...

View attachment 82904

View attachment 82905

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
WRISTCHECKS and the like

Well ... I really cant drag this for weeks so here are the pics I took just before gift wraping that watch.
When I checked the day after I saw the dusts on the dial ... my bad.

So the day my son got his watch he had the opportunity to learn how to open a watch case, remove a movement, clean dial and crystal and put everything back together ... that was funny.
Me and my sons are very close and he was almost moved to tears but he's a big boy and you know what they say ... "boys dont cry".
He loves that watch and wears it a lot, except for diving of course because it has not beeen waterproof tested and to be honest I doubt it could pass a 10atm test:hehehe:

USRTR.jpg

USk3a.jpg

US2Gy.jpg

USPEG.jpg

End of the story ?.. not really

My son loves his watch so much that he wants a little upgrade.
He's got a new movement with a decorated rotor ... not genlike at all but he likes it and when he'll come home for Christmas I'll swap the movements.
In the meantime I'll prepare some other updates ...
- new crystal cause the etched crown on the one he has really bothers me now
- new dial ... a much better one I hope as I have improved my skills a little
- new handset and new pearl
and I'll try to slightly age the lume on the indexes, hands and pearl so that watch could look her theoric age.

So ...
... TO BE UPGRADED ...

Last edited:
Reactions: SRower003

jackflash

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
12/10/12
EU
Amazing! What a tremendous gift for your son.

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
D

d4m.test

Loved this thread. What an awesome build and Lovely gesture for your son.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Great thread and awesome build. Thanks for sharing. Really enjoyed reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Great thread and awesome build. Thanks for sharing. Really enjoyed reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks [emoji4]
Upgraded dial will be much better I hope.
Plus I'm working on some awesome projects, so keep tuned [emoji39]

Sent from the RWI App

ginopino

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/16
You man are mad but a great builder! Very beautiful realization! Congrats!!!

BRAVO!

svshawn

Renowned Member
24/2/14
I know all the compliments have been given but honestly one of the best threads I’ve read in a long while. The story,build and relationships to your son is honestly the greatest. You are very talented and thank you for sharing your story/build. Absolutely outstanding!

D

d4m.test

Thank you very much for sharing Sir!!! great build and emotional story. :applause:

Sylhab03

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
19/11/16
"Chapeau bas" as the frenchmen say !! :notworthy::applause: