• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Build a Pressure Tester for 30 Dollars

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Nanook, thank you so much for this detailed explanation and idea. I finally receive all my parts today. The filter is extremely heavy duty. There's just no comparison to the flimsy Nalgene bottle. With the Nalgene bottle I couldn't get it beyond 2.5 ATM without the seal leaking. The filter with fittings has no problem holding high pressure. Just need to bend a coat hanger and figure a better way to hang the watch rather than use tape and I'll be ready to test my first watch.

As far as popping the crystal. Why do you need to rapidly release all the pressure. I think that may put undue stress if there is a leak. I believe the original suggestion was to slowly release the pressure and submerge the watch. Keep releasing pressure slowly. If there is a leak you'll still see bubbles and the watch will be safe as long as you bring it out of the water before the pressure has all been released and bubbles stopped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regarding air release, I always release the pressure slowly. I once a long time back released it quickly and I did have a crystal pop off. That was a $90 trip to the watchsmith to fix the damages and repress the crystal properly.

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
Regarding air release, I always release the pressure slowly. I once a long time back released it quickly and I did have a crystal pop off. That was a $90 trip to the watchsmith to fix the damages and repress the crystal properly.

Yea, You are probably right. If it leaked, you will know even if the pressure differential is only 20 or 30 psi. If you go slow and it doesn't leak (no bubbles) no worries, crystal is safe. If it is leaking and you see a steady stream of bubbles you can just take the watch out of the water and slowly release the rest of the air out of the container. This way your movement will never get wet and you are much less likely to pop off the crystal

Nanook, thank you so much for this detailed explanation and idea.
You are welcome. I am glad someone else is using this info.

I finally receive all my parts today. The filter is extremely heavy duty. There's just no comparison to the flimsy Nalgene bottle. With the Nalgene bottle I couldn't get it beyond 2.5 ATM without the seal leaking. The filter with fittings has no problem holding high pressure.

This is exactly what I thought too.

UDTMIKE

I'm Pretty Popular
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/5/17
Can you give us the different pis to meter conversions? Or is there a chart somewhere for it? Thanks

D

d4m.test

Great thread, ordered one of these water filter housings on amazon, only $12 ! I've got the rest of the bits.

jonhcox

28/10/10
I just grabbed a BP No-Date 114060 from a member a week ago and wanted to see how well it did in the water so I bought the parts from Amazon as well as a case back opener and some silicone. I carefully removed the back and greased the O-rings. I even went ballsy and removed the O-rings from the stem and tube and greased them as well. Pulling the stem always bugs me out- don't want to wonk out the keyworks. Then reassembled and tightened fully. I built the tester but used an air compressor from my airbrushing days instead of the bike pump. Worked like a charm. I stopped at 5 bar and there were no leaks. Can't thank you guys enough for your brains and skill. Wore the watch in the lake over the weekend, down no farther than 10-12 feet. No leaks and working like a champ. Now if I could just find someone who works on the SA3130 and can service it for a little longevity. Or I guess, pick up a Yuki. This forum is fracking awesome!

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
Thanks , purhased all the parts today and gonna test it out soon. My build cost me around 80$ but that's because I bought filter that was around 50$ (the only one they had in stock at walmart) I can always return all after test so its free99.

Got 200psi compressor so will test my watch up to +/- 170psi

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
So I tested my watch today. Some bubbles came out.I tried twice... then....
I tested two more watches that are 100% waterproof and bubbles came out too... so now I'm confused.

I want to dip this rolex into water and see if its gonna hold up or not but on the other hand I dont want to destroy it.

any suggestions?

Maron

Mythical Poster
16/2/15
Canada
I tested two more watches that are 100% waterproof and bubbles came out too... so now I'm confused.

I want to dip this rolex into water and see if its gonna hold up or not but on the other hand I dont want to destroy it.

any suggestions?

The bubbles might not be from inside the watch case but maybe air trapped under the bezel etc. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS

any suggestions?

As Maron said you're looking for a steady fine stream of bubbles. If just a few large bubbles came out and nothing more then it's not indicating a leak. Take a video of the watch in question and post it here

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
The other two watches did same thing. Same amount of bubbles. I pump around 150psi.

two other watches are gen with 20bar water resistance so no idea what to think.