• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Planet Ocean Bezel Construction

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
Originally posted on RWG, Feb 11 2007

In preparing my Planet Ocean for some photos to show how close to the case the crown should go, I noticed that my crappy pearl looks bad because the metal surrounding the lume is recessed. I thought I could remove the insert and push the pearl through and fix it. This was not to be, however as these photos will show.

How to remove the bezel: slip a knife in this groove, but be careful of the ratchet springs whose positions will be apparent later on.
po-bezel%20-%2001.jpg

If you work the blade all the way round gently, the bezel will just pop off. Be careful here as you really don't want to scar your case.
po-bezel%20-%2002.jpg

These are the three parts of the bezel assembly. There's a fourth, but you don't need to worry about it and we'll see it in 2 photos time.
po-bezel%20-%2003.jpg

This is the ratchet spring
po-bezel%20-%2004.jpg

The bezel itself has a spring (the elusive fourth part) running inside, visible just below the pearl. Yes, the pearl is part of the bezel, not the insert. Bugger, I'll not be raising that then.
po-bezel%20-%2005.jpg

The insert itself just came off without prompting which leads me to believe the glue used to keep it on is shite.
po-bezel%20-%2006.jpg

This is the ratchet spring in position. Note the tag that sits in a hole. This is to ensure the 120 clicks are on axis.
po-bezel%20-%2007.jpg

Ramps on the bottom of the bezel provide the other part of the ratchet. The spring is clearly visible here, running inside a groove on the inside of the bezel.
po-bezel%20-%2008.jpg

Look at the amount of dry glue. Not the best adhesive I've seen.
po-bezel%20-%2009.jpg

This glue, however, my faithful Resist-a-Toot, does the job. Toothpics (an essential part of any tool kit) were used to apply the glue to the bezel.
po-bezel%20-%2010.jpg

Bezel insert, um inserted, pushed down with a cloth so as not to get prints everywhere.
po-bezel%20-%2011.jpg

And Violin! I mean Viola ... er, voila! Back together, just as recessed as before. Damn.
po-bezel%20-%2012.jpg

When putting the bezel back on the watch, make sure the open gap in the spring is below the last area to get pushed in. This allows you essentially to chase the spring round the inside of the bezel as you're pushing it down.

drhydro

23/3/06
I've had a bezel insert, complete with pearl, just flat disappear on my PO Chrono- Brand9 sent me another, and it actually came with the pearl glued to the insert. It's not actually part of the bezel, just glued either to it or to the insert- actually, whether it stays with the insert or the bezel just depends on where the most glue is!

The pearl is certainly removable, thank goodness. It's the same on a couple of project 45mm PO non-chrono that I've acquired.
On the chrono, I cleaned all that glue off the bezel, and used a 3M spray adhesive made for automobile upholstery- it's kind of a rubber contact cement in spray form. Seems to hold quite nicely so far, and allows the insert to flatten itself well against the bezel.

Pug, that's great information- I've been reluctant to even try removing the bezel, but now I know exactly how!! :D :D

OiRogers

Renowned Member
24/8/06
Nice, Concise and informative as always Pugs...

Am i the only one that thought "why the heck is he showing an IWC Ingy shot" for your second picture for just a split second? :oops:

I think I've managed to fudge my way through this process about five times, each and every time after the bezel insert removes itself from my watch... so the adhesive on your PO isn't the only one of dubious quality.... it seems that a thick spittle wad from the rep installer is about the only thing holding the average rep-bezel insert in to its assigned place.

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
OiRogers said:
Am i the only one that thought "why the heck is he showing an IWC Ingy shot" for your second picture for just a split second? :oops:
This is why I don't like Ingies. :D

OiRogers

Renowned Member
24/8/06
pugwash said:
This is why I don't like Ingies. :D

Coming from an IWC addict such as yourself that is a bit shocking. To think... you, who are entirely responsible for me buying my first, second, third and fourth (and soon to be fifth) IWC rep... not a fan of the Ingy?
Not even the Ti Amg or Ti Chrono? You must have eaten some bad haggis or something. :shock:

I'll admit the SS Ingy that is pretty commonly available these days is an acquired taste... it screams 1970's but goes great with business casual or a not so formal suit/tie combo.

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
OiRogers said:
Not even the Ti Amg or Ti Chrono? You must have eaten some bad haggis or something. :shock:
Indeed. So far, I've not seen an Inge I like. I even tried a gen on in an AD and it did nothing for me.

I suspect it means I like watches more than brands, and there's nothing wrong with that. :D

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
It appears that pugwash does not want us to view his pictures any longer.

CISO1969

I'm Pretty Popular
26/8/06
Pugwash:

If you don't want to be here, or don't like what is going on here, then say something meaningful.

A while back you were banned here and I stood up for you. I wasn't anti "party A" or anti "party B", but just disagreed in the way things were done and the banning.

Currently, no one has banned you, no one has done anything to wrong you, yet you post these "I has a bucket " captioned photos that could get some people fired at their job as a possible racial slur here in the US.

This forum is supposed to be "work friendly" and yet you post these. In addition, previous to these, you spoof Kilnk's avatar with "gollum eating a fish". If someone saw this at work as a quick observer it could be perceived as "Gollum performing fellatio"--also not a work friendly photograph.

What gives? What's the issue?

If you do not like it here, than leave.

Also, may I suggest if these types of photos continue to be posted without explanation that maybe this time, a banning is indeed merited.

CISO

supermanx

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
27/6/06
CISO1969 said:
If someone saw this at work as a quick observer it could be perceived as "Gollum performing fellatio"--also not a work friendly photograph.

Glad i'm not the only one that thought that. That was one big black ummm fish.

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
EatingPopcorn.gif

Hoo: I think we got a live one.
Jay: Who is this guy?
Hoo: Don't know
Jay: Seems to have a fascination for Mammals
Hoo: Just llike a Brit. Never appreciating the wathces.
Jay: For you information, I am a watch afficianado.
Hoo: You wouldn't know a good watch if a Walrus hit you with it
Jay: What's any of this got to do with Walruses?
Hoo: Sigh....

bme

Renowned Member
21/1/07
Very strange, just pics of a large marine animal????

nyc1836

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/8/09
Planet OCEAN 42mm bezel

I know this is an old post I have a 42mm PO rep which I bought here a year ago,the pearl fell out does any one know where I could buy a complete bezel?

adam.lee.88

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/9/11
anyone know where I can get a bezel retention spring ?

I'm outside the US so I cant buy from ofrei

tried an AD but they wouldn't let me buy the part unless I bring the watch in, something I cant do for obvious reasons.

I'll try a local hole in the wall watch smith but they definetely wont have the gen click ring which I was hoping to get as well (I still have the rep click button/spring so it's not as big of an issue)

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14
I don't know if it's just mine but the bezel on these is actually fairly easy to take off. I'm able to take mine off with just my fingers. Just gotta get a good grip and pull around the case. It should just pop off after you get about half way.

Much safer than taking a knife to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk