• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Guide on Genuine Dial Swap

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Here's my comment when you're planning for a genuine dial swap... First, source the dial... This may be the hardest thing to do. Look on eBay. Sometimes they have scarce amount of genuine dial for sale at once. Rolex gen dial will fetch above 200USD price on average depending on condition. Omega genuine dial on eBay would average 80-100USD depending on condition.

Now about dial feet: All ETA2824/2836/2892/Omega Calibre 1120, 2500 has the same dial feet position. I can generalise that all eta 28xx series and its ebauche have the same dial feet position. No worry for this one.
Asian 7750 (all version) and ETA7750 have the same dial feet position too.

Will the dial fit the case? This is the tough one... Sometimes yes, sometimes no, sometimes too big, sometimes too small depending on which watch case and rep you're working on.

So... to cut the story short, I will create a list which rep you can change the dial (please note that I don't work with any Rolex), perhaps RBJ or Vacuum want to comment on this list:

IWC GST Chrono Ti - Perfect Fit
Breitling Avenger Chrono Ti - The genuine dial is slightly smaller but very very minute ~perfect fit.
Bretiling Avenger Seawolf Ti - The genuine dial is smaller. Can be fixed by changing inner bezel rehaut ring with the rep one.
Omega Seamaster Pro 007 Edition - Perfect fit
Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 4th gen 42.5mm - Perfect fit.
Breitling Navitimer TT and non TT - Gen dial is too big, you have to trim on the dial by < 1 mm. (Importr has done a few). Still the inner bezel ring does not line up properly on 35 mark.
IWC Portuguese Chrono - Perfect fit.
Omega Seamaster Pro Chrono - Perfect Fit
IWC Flieger Chrono - Perfect Fit

The list is endless. Feel free to add.

rei

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/12/06
great post takashi. after attempting to superlume some dials, i am now looking for some gen dials... PO, SMP, and 111H (which will probably come from davidsen).

How about the hands? Will gen hands fit asian autos? I know the new asian chrono does not fit eta gen hands :(

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Forget gen dial for Panerai. At the moment they are really really tough to source and can easily fetch 500USD and up just for the dial.

Anyway hand sizes on ETA2892,2824,2836,Coax Cal 2500 and 1120 are all the same... again let me to wonder that all ETA28xx series has the same hand sizes (I got a debate on this topic with my own watch tools seller, he can't believe my observation but yet to prove me wrong).

So... linking back to your post, the genuine hands won't fit Asian ETA.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
onj said:
will the 45mm planet ocean gen dial fit?

It will fit. Be careful not to get dial for 42.5mm version. They have different diameter.

seraphe

Renowned Member
9/10/06
Excellent post, Taks! That's my definition of 'INFORMATIVE'!!! FYI, I've not yet replace my GST Ti with the gen dial I got from ya... Now that you've started this topic, you're getting me planning some time to do this mod.

WELL DONE!

onj

Known Member
5/3/07
Thanks Takashi...I emailed ofrei and he said he think is the same as the one he has on his website, but he will put an order with the ref # 2200.51.00 I gave him...so what do you think any chances of him messing it up?...anyways I`m still thinking, cause I have a friend and his company has a laser cutting machine and he will cut the logo for me if that looks good than I don`t have to spend 200 usd....anyways will let you guys posted on this one....

Schnappy

Known Member
25/10/06
Ofrei is located in the US. Should not be a problem if you're located in the US. Just that waiting time for a genuine dial may extend to 2 months.

cskent69

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/6/06
Folks, does anyone actually know what the part number is for the Planet Ocean 45.5 white letter? I sent Ofrei an e-mail (yes, according to their "rules") and was never able to get an answer. I would also like to get a genuine dial.

@takashi - have you performed a swap?

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
@cskent69: Yes I have performed many genuine dial swaps. As for genuine dial 45.5mm from ofrei, you have to send them emails and caseback number. Without caseback number, no genuine dial.

vaccum

I'm Pretty Popular
18/3/06
onj said:
Thanks Takashi...I emailed ofrei and he said he think is the same as the one he has on his website, but he will put an order with the ref # 2200.51.00 I gave him...so what do you think any chances of him messing it up?...anyways I`m still thinking, cause I have a friend and his company has a laser cutting machine and he will cut the logo for me if that looks good than I don`t have to spend 200 usd....anyways will let you guys posted on this one....

2900.50.91 for 45mm white #

2208.50.00 or 2908.50.38 for 45mm orange #

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Model number doesn't guarantee you will get a genuine parts from ofrei. Only caseback number will get you genuine dial, crown and crystal.

TA8088

SCAMMER
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
INMATE
28/10/07
So getting the PO parts from Ofrei is a pain? Getting ready to order gen dial and hands. Is there somewhere else to order them from.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
OME-2500-DIAL#3 is the correct dial for 45.5mm PO, white numbers.

watchbuff

I'm Pretty Popular
13/2/07
Datejust rep dials will fit a 16200 case with lite filing around the edge. Very light, like taking the paint off.