• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Modding a jubilee bracelet

Newcboy

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/6/22
Uk
I have just received my first replica of a date just. By no means a perfect item but overall I’m relatively happy and it’s a comfortable watch. My main issue is with the bracelet. The end links to the case aren’t right. Has anyone any suggestions on replacing these or modding the bracelet. Was tempted to cut fine grooves into the side aspects to give more of a link appearance.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
:ttiwwop:

At the very least you need to share more details about exactly which DJ and bracelet you’re referring to. There are quite a few models…

Newcboy

3/6/22
Uk

That’s true. I did add a pic. I’ll have another go. It’s a U1 replica.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Ah right. That's a Day-Date, not a Date-Just. And that's a President bracelet, not a Jubilee. Apart from that, your description was spot-on... ;)

As it's a budget U1 model, I doubt there's very much you can do to improve things - because a) it's going to be hard to know which brand of better quality bracelet would fit, and fit better, and b) the cost of a bracelet would probably exceed the value of the watch.

Not sure what you mean by "tempted to cut fine grooves into the side aspects to give more of a link appearance". But it doesn't sound like it's a plan that would end well.

You could always stick it on a decent budget leather strap. CheapestNatoStraps.com do a wide range of nice leather at low prices.

Reactions: KJ2020 and kavorca1

Newcboy

3/6/22
Uk
Oh man did I say date just. ????????‍♂️And jubilee. That’s so dumb. What I was wondering is using a fine diamond drill to cut a horizontal line through the closest part of the bracelet. I agree probably a stupid idea. I bought scrap version to see if it was something I would like. It fits nicely so may just jump to the higher replica levels. Now if anyone can suggest a decent replica I’d more than happily look at that. At a budget price it was worth trying to see if the style was worth getting.
thanks for everyone’s input ????

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
using a fine diamond drill to cut a horizontal line through the closest part of the bracelet.
What that seems to suggest is that you're trying to replicate the look of an earlier bracelet. The later President bracelets have solid end links in the style of the U1's.

But I think the modding route is probably a dead end anyway, and yes you'd certainly be better off putting any further investment into a better rep.

I'm not up on the current rep DD offerings, as they're not my bag - hopefully someone else will chime in with some suggestions.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
BP and GMF are pretty much the best game in town for DD's 36 and 40mm. Their bracelets are not the best either, just something you have to live with. The sides of the inner links are not polished enough and can be quite sharp to the touch. YG and RG are better in that regard than SS (used to rep WG), but still all of them are less than ideal. I spent probably 6 hours buffing one SS President bracelet down to smooth out the sharp edges, and then of course I had to rebrush the outer links. On another one I swapped the bracelet to an ARF oyster which is high quality and until recently the 36mm DD was offered that way from Rolex. Any way you go with bracelets on a "precious metal" rep, the overall weight will be noticeably less than a like model gen, because all the rep bracelets are base SS. Still, with a little work and if you are not overly picky, there is plenty of enjoyment to be had in wearing rep DD's. I would stay away from EWF, they can look OK but they are using cheaper movements that parts are hard to get for. So if there are issues it may require a new movement. BP and GMF models are going to be nearly indistinguishable, the main difference being GMF has *stated* 904L steel and costs more because of that. BP and GMF are partner factories.

https://trustytimewatch88.io/index....yword=daydate BP&inc_subcat=0&sort=20a&page=3

Before, note the sharp edges on the inside links
ZS8xs3.jpg

ZS8cqY.jpg

After
ZS8gXD.jpg

Outer links needed rebrushing
ZS8VDs.jpg

Some DD's I have

16091847257460.jpg

15957237948489.jpg

16451237522760.jpg

16475378415870.jpg

15824169258182.jpg

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
BP and GMF are pretty much the best game in town for DD's 36 and 40mm. Their bracelets are not the best either, just something you have to live with. The sides of the inner links are not polished enough and can be quite sharp to the touch. YG and RG are better in that regard than SS (used to rep WG), but still all of them are less than ideal. I spent probably 6 hours buffing one SS President bracelet down to smooth out the sharp edges, and then of course I had to rebrush the outer links. On another one I swapped the bracelet to an ARF oyster which is high quality and until recently the 36mm DD was offered that way from Rolex. Any way you go with bracelets on a "precious metal" rep, the overall weight will be noticeably less than a like model gen, because all the rep bracelets are base SS. Still, with a little work and if you are not overly picky, there is plenty of enjoyment to be had in wearing rep DD's. I would stay away from EWF, they can look OK but they are using cheaper movements that parts are hard to get for. So if there are issues it may require a new movement. BP and GMF models are going to be nearly indistinguishable, the main difference being GMF has *stated* 904L steel and costs more because of that. BP and GMF are partner factories.

https://trustytimewatch88.io/index....yword=daydate BP&inc_subcat=0&sort=20a&page=3

Before, note the sharp edges on the inside links
ZS8xs3.jpg

ZS8cqY.jpg

After
ZS8gXD.jpg

Outer links needed rebrushing
ZS8VDs.jpg

Some DD's I have

16091847257460.jpg

15957237948489.jpg

16451237522760.jpg

16475378415870.jpg

15824169258182.jpg

Bro that one picture is gross hahaha

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Bro that one picture is gross hahaha

Yeah that chewed through a lot of buffing pad fibers. I probably should have just taken all the links apart but that wouldn't have been any fun either. Thanks BP!

There was one member who reported that while wearing shorts he actually cut his leg by swiping one of these bracelets across it. Nice.

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
Yeah that chewed through a lot of buffing pad fibers. I probably should have just taken all the links apart but that wouldn't have been any fun either. Thanks BP!

There was one member who reported that while wearing shorts he actually cut his leg by swiping one of these bracelets across it. Nice.

Oh i didn't read the whole post i thought it's a "wrist cheese" picture hahaha. You would be surprised what i have to deal with sometimes:p