• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

VSF Omega Seamaster Diver 300M V2 crystal replacement journey.

anarchos

Horology Curious
5/2/21
Warning - Lots of pics. I also don't really know what I'm doing, so don't take these steps and methods as gospel. Let me know where I made mistakes, as I'm sure I did a bunch of stuff wrong!

So I dropped my watch and shattered the crystal. As a very (and I mean very) amateur watch smith, I thought replacing it myself would be a good learning lesson and excuse to buy a few new tools! Getting parts from VSF is impossible, so I plan on ordering an aftermarket crystal designed for the gen seamaster. I wasn't sure if the dimensions of the VSF and gen were the same, so I order a set of callipers to verify before ordering a crystal (they're kinda expensive, about 40 euros).

Step one: Order some callipers and a watch press from AliExpress (I'm not made of money, hence the rep watch!). Callipers were 11 euros and the press was 13 euros, including VAT and shipping.

Step two: I decided to tape the crystal using some scotch tape. My theory was it would help it come out without shattering, making it easier to measure. I cut around the edge of the tape with a razor blade so it was just covering the crystal itself.
zAhMW1.jpg

zAhwxv.jpg

Step three: Remove the back of the watch. I used an inflatable ball for this. It came off pretty easy, and then I removed the case back gasket and set it aside.
zAhEnc.jpg

Step four: Remove the stem. Pull out the stem into the time setting position (all the way out) and insert a tiny screwdriver into the hole I'm pointing at in the photo. Gently press down on the screw driver while gently pulling on the stem and it should slide right out. I found that a 0.6mm screwdriver was the perfect size.
zAhfji.jpg

zAhFIb.jpg

Step five: Remove the three movement holder screws and "brackets" (not sure of the proper terminology). They are the three screws furthest towards the outside of the watch (I'm pointing to one of them with the screwdriver in the photo). I used a 1.2mm screwdriver here.
zAhGdp.jpg

zAhSJ5.jpg

Step six: Remove the movement. I placed another movement pad on top of the facedown watch and created a "sandwich". I then flipped it over so the movement was facing down, and removed the top pad and then just lifted up the case, letting the movement stay on the bottom pad. I don't have any spare parts covers, so I just put the pad and movement on the lid of an upside down jar, and then placed the jar on top. I think that should keep the dust out pretty well.
zAhxlt.jpg

zAhbWF.jpg

zAhJF2.jpg

zAhg6n.jpg

zAhc2E.jpg

Step seven: Find the correct pushers and dies for the press. I used my callipers to measure the dies and pushers, and ended up using the one marked 40 as the die and the one marked 31 to push on the crystal. The numbers in the plastic are a bit off, so make sure to take some measurements. You'll want the bottom piece (that's "catching" the crystal) inside diameter to be bigger than the crystal, but not too big (the edge should sit on the bezel). For the top pusher, you'll want the outside diameter to be smaller then the crystal, but not too small. You want it as big as possible without being bigger than the crystal, so that it's pushing on the edge and not in the centre.
zA2Dv3.jpg

zA2jjs.jpg

Step seven: Push out the crystal. Place the watch dial side down, make sure everything is lined up, and push down on the lever. Go slowly and make sure everything is lined up so you are pushing directly down. The crystal should just pop out and into the bottom die.

zA2zOY.jpg

zA23kD.jpg

Step seven: Measurements. I wanted to confirm that the measurements were the same as gen as I plan on buying a new crystal that was designed as a gen replacement (not an actual gen crystal, though). Those crystal as advertised as having a 31.5mm diameter (and I couldn't find any edge thickness measurements, so I will just hope and pray it's the same), and it seems like the VSF is exactly the same. I tried measuring the overall thickness (which includes the dome) but since the crystal was shattered, it was pretty "springy" and wouldn't trust the measurement I got (2.5mm). I also measured the case and got more or less the same measurements there (the gasket is still in there, so the measurement will be a little smaller). I measure the inside diameter of the bezel and it's exactly 31.5mm.

zA2UvQ.jpg

zA256S.jpg

zA2eAW.jpg

zA2AFP.jpg

Step eight: Order a new crystal! I haven't done this yet, and it will take a while to get here, so I will add some new posts about installing the crystal in the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: p0pperini

anarchos

Horology Curious
5/2/21
I just realized my edge thickness measurement was taken with two layers of tape on the crystal. Peeled the tape back and re-measured and got almost 2.0mm exactly.

Reactions: p0pperini

anarchos

Horology Curious
5/2/21
So I wasn't able to find a 31.5x2.0mm crystal with AR so I decided to take a risk and order a crystal that was advertised to be the same dimensions as a gen crystal, from AliExpress. I was able to confirm before ordering that the diameter was 31.5, although I couldn't get an answer out of the seller about the thickness...

Fast forward a week or two and the crystal has arrived and it's edge thickness is 2.5-2.6mm :confused: I am not sure if the gens size is that thick, or if I just got unlucky and they sent one too thick, but either way, returns to AliExpress are a nightmare so I decided to just use what I've got.

In the end it was very easy, just pick the right die and pusher sizes and make sure everything is even before starting to press (when placing the crystal on top, one side tends to be lower than the other, so just poke and prod it until it's sitting flat). I then gently pressed down, rotated the case about 45 degrees, pushed down again and kept rotating and pressing a full 360 degrees.

Before pressing:

As you can see in the final photo, it crystal sticks up a bit from the bezel. I might order a non AR crystal that's 2.0mm thick, but for the time being this will work.

Reactions: pippo

botsyboy

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Patron
Certified
1/9/09
U.K.
It’s probably a 42mm planet ocean crystal as they are thicker. At least you have a unique piece now :)

pippo

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/1/10
Great DIY tutorial.
Finding a perfect crystal replacement can be a real issue. Expensive for sure if AR is needed.

​​​​​​thanks for sharing :)