• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Bezel removal on seiko

Testone72

Renowned Member
8/3/18
Just wandering, trying to rotate the watch to 90 degrees, does it will help you?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I doubt your tool is defective. Try aligning your watch head so the long axis matches the long axis of the tool. Then close the jaws and if one end engages first, loosen the jaws and gently push down on the end that didn't engage while closing the jaws again.

Lutaito

Supporter
Certified
2/8/19
I doubt your tool is defective. Try aligning your watch head so the long axis matches the long axis of the tool. Then close the jaws and if one end engages first, loosen the jaws and gently push down on the end that didn't engage while closing the jaws again.

I will try to play around and align it again a few times definitely but from a couple of tries in different angles it wasnt working

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Keep in mind there is a high probability that bezel is held on with a wire clip too. So if (when) you get it lifted a little it may not want to come off. I did have to brute force one up over the wire once. But if it looks a lot like there is a wire based on it not lifting, maybe the wire can be seen and accessed from above by poking the upper gap open a little.

Can't see any wire here
2n12Q.jpg

But it's in there
jvZK1.jpg

aus_wolfie

Patron
Gold Patron
Certified
13/7/21
Australia
You've gone through some pain here Lutaito but so grateful to you posting and asking and other members answering.

I have a spinninng bezel on an old cheaper rep that it didn't want to disassemble properly. Was told any more pressure risked deforming it - fair advice

I was going to get the remover you had and try again or just give up and glue it in place! But now I know to approach the task differently checking for wire clips etc

Best of luck with your exercise, I and no doubt others are watching with keen interest

Lutaito

Supporter
Certified
2/8/19
But if it looks a lot like there is a wire based on it not lifting, maybe the wire can be seen and accessed from above by poking the upper gap open a little.

But it's in there
jvZK1.jpg

Okay another try, on the tool no luck, razor blade taps with hammer put the blade in the groove but not able to pry it out and when i try to stick case knife in both fall out ugh. The 4 blade tool isn’t aligning all of the blades and i tried different angles, feel like im still missing something but trying anything thats possible :(
c0b9bfcf122d2f66825160e98dccace5.jpg

Getting so disappointed at myself for not get getting even one bezel off.

Heres the Orient case without crystal and crystal gasket removed. Tried to tap the bezel a bit to see if i can find something in but cant see any of the circles clips like in GMT bezel :(
c10304bc3e1b32c6c98f6e49b3334894.jpg

7146756d146b088c176a1e44517805c8.jpg

522f2e0b2b808b699637e90a1d38e814.jpg

cf7ac86e2b21520ca0735f9d02936426.jpg

Lutaito

Supporter
Certified
2/8/19
You've gone through some pain here Lutaito but so grateful to you posting and asking and other members answering.

Best of luck with your exercise, I and no doubt others are watching with keen interest

Thank you for the kind and encouraging words mate, appreciate it. Trying not to give up just yet. I know once and if i get these bezels to get off the other good quality ones should be much easier and these are gonna help me get better and learn the skill and usage of right tools so trying to hang in there.

Lutaito

Supporter
Certified
2/8/19
[mention]KJ2020 [/mention] a little update on todays re trying. I used the old tool again with horotec blade and now the bezel is stuck and not even moving which it was freely until before the retrying. Does that mean the bezel is somewhat lifted from one side atleast? Or is it stuck in the retaining ring/spring?

Heres a look:
586405411d3692a5c5d9caa79d65bc30.jpg

51d663c9392cc9518334038f2d538bd2.jpg

b7765d12f050ea42caf582ad33baa5cc.jpg

From some research i found that this is the kind of spring thats under the Orient watch bezel and not the circle clip like the GMT bezel.
611fe1651d1e2f99d745ca739c7d485e.jpg

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
IDK what else to tell you bro, like I said I've never fooled around with Seiko watches. That spring you pictured above looks like a tension washer / click tab that provides tension and produces clicks. It does not look like it anchors the bezel to the watch head so it seems there would need to be another part that does that job - a wire or a gasket. I bought an old Noob DSSD for the movement and dial that had a badly damaged case which had a tension washer with raised tabs like your picture but it also had a wire circlip. Since the case was shot anyway I was determined to get the bezel off and used a vice, a very large and thick blade screwdriver and a hammer to force it off. Maybe someone with Seiko experience can chime in or maybe there is a Seiko forum or sub-reddit, etc. I have run into bezels that were put on in such a way as to make removal nearly impossible without bending the bezel up over the wire. The old cheap Sky - Dwellers are that way. There is a wire circlip so it can rotate (for no purpose but fake show) but the bezel is fluted so there is no way to access the wire from above. It was then that I figured out how they had to get it on, by restraining the wire into the grooves with something (tape, like I've shown above) and then remove the restraints after it's in place. There is no way to get those off without bending the bezel up. Even with the crystal out you can't see or get to the wire. The built-in retaining ring lip completely hides it.

zAu8l4.jpg

zAuB2c.jpg

zAurFI.jpg

Lutaito

Supporter
Certified
2/8/19
[mention]KJ2020 [/mention] no bro you did alot and i learnt a lot from you and much appreciated. I will keep trying to get this bezel off. The 4 jaw tool just dsnt align all of the jaws. Maybe ill order a different one and return this on amazon. Its a spare case anyway so ill put in some force haha

I saw this as well any experience or thoughts?

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/watch-bezel-remover-bergeon-6820

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
[mention]KJ2020 [/mention] no bro you did alot and i learnt a lot from you and much appreciated. I will keep trying to get this bezel off. The 4 jaw tool just dsnt align all of the jaws. Maybe ill order a different one and return this on amazon. Its a spare case anyway so ill put in some force haha

I saw this as well any experience or thoughts?

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/watch-bezel-remover-bergeon-6820

Maybe so bro - here is a video of someone using it. It looks like the bezel has a thin wire in a groove - visible toward the end. Pricey approach for such a case but a fine tool for a lasting tool set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKlTquD3E2I

Here is a guy removing an Orient bezel with a cheap 4 jaw tool. This is how a bezel swap should go, but I think he picked a bezel whose rim sits too high - it looks like the crystal is sunken below the insert. D'oh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CWqUKxVZAs

Lutaito

Supporter
Certified
2/8/19
[mention]KJ2020 [/mention] finally an update. I had ordered another tool haha just frustrated and curious to get that bezel off. So i ordered this
e3442a260c8cd99eae3a3c64cc69b79d.jpg

and tried 2 days to get that bezel off and no luck. 3rd day i sat again and that thing just popped and flew. One good news lol

Feeling a bit accomplished i tried it on 2 other cases i had and one came of easily second one is stuck.

One i believe was a noob older version BLNR and the stuck one is dhgate Pepsi.

888c5182b92ec1aacaae93ca7e79fc08.jpg

I then tried to put it back and while pressing it home i cracked the insert and the hytrel ring just comes out of one spot when pressing. Whats the trick to press these back in without cracking the insert and the hytrel staying seated. Oh and cracked the crystal as well :( so bad news there

Lutaito

Supporter
Certified
2/8/19
60c41c4103e06cae62786671928aa765.jpg

This is what i meant by hytrel coming off from one place when pressing bezel in

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
60c41c4103e06cae62786671928aa765.jpg

This is what i meant by hytrel coming off from one place when pressing bezel in

That's not the hytrel ring (bezel gasket) bro, it's the crystal gasket. I think you should review my thread below again - the crystal, crystal gasket, and retaining ring all go on before the bezel. And unless you have a die that misses the insert but catches the bezel, it's best to remove the insert before re-pressing the bezel over the crystal retaining ring.

Same technique for GMT as Sub
6-digit Sub crystal and bezel swap