• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Dent removal technique

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16

An intentional dent I made in a lug for this demonstration.

Areas where I am punching the steel back in place.

The dent is pretty well closed and I can proceed to the stoning operation.

400 grit diemakers stone used wet.

If the dent or ding has displaced metal, then you can move that metal and restore it to its previous location. If the metal is gone, then this technique will not work, but in my experience most dents are just that...dents, where the metal is still there. If not, then a laser welder can fill areas where the metal once was.

I use a homemade high speed steel punch about 1mm in diameter. The face is flat and smooth. It can be tapped with a light hammer. The case should be held securely for this operation.

I start by hammering the raised portions of the steel, working my way toward the dent. It's a back and forth operation, working on both sides and pushing the metal back to where it was. You might think that 316L or 904 steel won't cooperate, but it will if you're persistent. This technique is called chasing and has been done for hundreds of years.

After the dent is closed, I used a 400 grit diemakers stone lubricated with oil. This rapid breakdown stone will smooth the surface while maintaining a very sharp, crisp edge to the lug. Care must be taken or you end up with a washed out "soap bar" effect with rounded edges and corners. Stones are the secret to preserving crisp edges.

Polishing and brushing would be next. I don't have the proper gear for that and only do it by hand. I'll leave that to the polishing experts :)

Plaasbaas

IWC-hoarder and PAM-hunter
Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
Amazing. I never thought of dents as "displaced metal". Thanks for sharing, I learnt something new here!

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Very nice bro. Like all skills, this one would take some practice to start seeing quality results. Like so many other things, I wish I would have started sooner lol. IDK that I will ever have the time to develop this skill. It's an easy finish from where that case sits now. Bravo!

Last edited:

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
Very nice bro. Like all skills, this one would take some practice to start seeing quality results. Like so many other things, I wish I would have started sooner lol. IDK that I will ever have the time to develop this skill. It's an easy finish from where that case sits now. Bravo!

If there's one guy who can do it it's absolutely you! It's not so tricky but it'd be a good idea to practice on something first.

Reactions: KJ2020

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
If there's one guy who can do it it's absolutely you! It's not so tricky but it'd be a good idea to practice on something first.

Can you post a pic of your steel punch? I have a set of center punches, will one of those work if I flatten the tip?

Uhr70

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/9/13
USA
Triplock Amazing work. Sadly I don't have the guts to do it myself as I am afraid I would make it worse haha
If you guys know someone that can restore my lug and refinish that side of the case, I'll pay a nice fee :)

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
Can you post a pic of your steel punch? I have a set of center punches, will one of those work if I flatten the tip?

Yes sir, my apologies. I had one and didn't upload it. Nearly any hardened steel will work, including a center punch. Grind it flat and smooth it. Ideally it will slightly domed and not flat, but it's such a small amount that it appears to be a flat face. It's barely detectable even under high magnification. The doming will help eliminate or minimize a circular ring around each punch mark.You strive for a peened effect and not circular rings which leave more cleanup to do. This chasing punch can be used wherever there's displaced metal, to push it back into place.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
jCAtTL.jpg

Yes sir, my apologies. I had one and didn't upload it. Nearly any hardened steel will work, including a center punch. Grind it flat and smooth it. Ideally it will slightly domed and not flat, but it's such a small amount that it appears to be a flat face. It's barely detectable even under high magnification. The doming will help eliminate or minimize a circular ring around each punch mark.You strive for a peened effect and not circular rings which leave more cleanup to do. This chasing punch can be used wherever there's displaced metal, to push it back into place.

Awesome thanks, good to know about the domed tip it makes sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: WatchSmith.US