• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ARF Datejust with A2824: Attempt at full service but advice needed

Plaasbaas

IWC-hoarder and PAM-hunter
Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
Hi everybody,

apart from collecting watches, I have developped an interest in being able to understand what's going on inside and like to play around with project watches that need some love. As a complete rookie I would never dare to fiddle around with my favourite ones, at least not yet, too afraid to scratch or break something. Need much more confidence.

So a couple of weeks ago I bought an ARF Datejust 41mm with an A2824 movement, fluted bezel and jubilee bracelet. All that was missing was the hands and the winding stem.

After receiving a set of hands and a stem from ebay and finding out that the keyless obviously needs a reset (if not worse) I was eager to dismantle the whole thing and put it back together - learning about this movement in the process. This is my very first attempt in doing so. I attached some pics below.
jBPhqn.jpg

jBP2X3.jpg

jBPAbs.jpg

jBPeUY.jpg

jBP5QD.jpg

jBPURk.jpg

jBPaho.jpg

jBPi9J.jpg

jBPmsP.jpg

Thanks to youtube and the ever so useful manual shared by great fellow member PsychoTee16 all went well. Didn't know how to get the datewheel back on again because I did not want to re-glue the overlay, but somehow I managed. Date quickset in the respective crown position works flawlessly.
jBPqZW.jpg

jBPIqS.jpg

After all that I regulated the sh** out of it and am quite happy with myself until this point lol.
jBPnfK.jpg

But now I'm stuck and hope for advice:
The hands I got sit too low on the dial. The hour hand was basically touching the dial. It moved when manipulating the crown but I stopped immediately out of fear to scratch something.

Do ARF hands have longer shafts? Do I need one of the hand height kits below, and if yes which one?
jBP8hv.jpg

Anyway it's been fun so far! Hope somebody can help me get this watch completely together.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Reactions: P..DR..D

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
I would suggest watching Mark Lovick's video on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtgAJBPPefM

You're on the home stretch now. Be careful of the small click spring. It's a jumpy little bastard. Poke a hole through a piece of plastic wrap and work through the hole with the wrap covering the movement. If/when it jumps the wrap will contain it. It always best to have a few extras on hand if you're working on ETA movements.

Shock jewel springs can be jumpy as well, but it looks like this movement has a Novodiac style spring which is a bit more forgiving. You'll need to sharpen a piece of pegwood to the diameter of the jewel and spring, and then carve a shallow curved depression in the end of it similar to the curvature of the cap jewel. You can then press the stick onto the jewel and spring and rotate the spring until it clears the tabs holding it in place. Kind of like a bayonet mount on a camera lens. Replace the same way...press and turn.

Reactions: Plaasbaas

Plaasbaas

Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
I would suggest watching Mark Lovick's video on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtgAJBPPefM

You're on the home stretch now. Be careful of the small click spring. It's a jumpy little bastard. Poke a hole through a piece of plastic wrap and work through the hole with the wrap covering the movement. If/when it jumps the wrap will contain it. It always best to have a few extras on hand if you're working on ETA movements.

Shock jewel springs can be jumpy as well, but it looks like this movement has a Novodiac style spring which is a bit more forgiving. You'll need to sharpen a piece of pegwood to the diameter of the jewel and spring, and then carve a shallow curved depression in the end of it similar to the curvature of the cap jewel. You can then press the stick onto the jewel and spring and rotate the spring until it clears the tabs holding it in place. Kind of like a bayonet mount on a camera lens. Replace the same way...press and turn.

Thanks! I was actually using that video to get the job done. His step by step explanations are legendary.

A very good tip, to work through the hole of a plastic wrap. That'll save me so much trouble in the future and spot on advice about the shock jewel springs. I was actually too afraid to tinker with them as I did not know how to do it safely.

But everything is back in place now including the dial. Movement running nicely. Only thing left: I can't mount the hands as the hour hand sits way too low - it touches the dial. Didn't try minute and seconds hand.

Again. The watch came in parts without the hands. I bought aftermarket hands but they give me a headache now.

What am I to do? Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Nikz19

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/4/18
Italy
That’s the thing: ARF hands has long shaft. You either need the correct hand or replace the seconds wheel, hour wheel and cannon pinion with a H5 set.
2824 wheels come in various heights, starting from H1 all the way up to H6.

Plaasbaas

Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
That’s the thing: ARF hands has long shaft. You either need the correct hand or replace the seconds wheel, hour wheel and cannon pinion with a H5 set.
2824 wheels come in various heights, starting from H1 all the way up to H6.

Thank you Nikz19 ! Appreciate the help of a true professional. I'll leave all my good watches in your hands should they need fixing. I only tinker with the ones I don't care about too much and use those as learning projects.

So I will order a H5 set and try again! So thankful Nic, all the best to you. Greetings.

Reactions: Nikz19

Plaasbaas

Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
Credits to you Nikz19 ! Solid advice (as expected).

The set of H5 parts was exactly what I needed to finish my little project. Had a bit of extra work because the pinion of the seconds wheel seems to be a tiny bit bigger in diameter. It went in, but wouldn't turn. So I first had to shave that down a little, which was quite tricky, but I found a way how to do it.
Also I lost the click spring... twice...AND FOUND IT AGAIN lol :thumbsup: Those who know what I'm talking about, know what I'm talking about. The smallest part of all.

But yeah, here it is - Up and running very well and I am happy to report: Mission complete!

Learned so much in the process.

Thanks again Nik19 for your kind reply above!

Rocket14

Known Member
22/9/21
Hats off sir, I’m sure you’re quite rightly very pleased with yourself…..enjoy that well earned drink whilst looking lovingly at your wrist. Respect

Plaasbaas

Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
Hats off sir, I’m sure you’re quite rightly very pleased with yourself…..enjoy that well earned drink whilst looking lovingly at your wrist. Respect

Thanks for your kind words! Much appreciated, Sir.

Yes indeed, I am very pleased and also very relieved, because even if I told myself in the beginning that I don't care too much if it goes south, I wanted to succeed the longer I worked on it :)

I almost can't believe what I just did. After a 6497 movement, this was only the second time that I fully dismantled a movement and put it back together, this time the 2824 movement.

It's so rewarding: I started out with a broken watch without stem and hands, and now I have a working watch :)

Rocket14

Known Member
22/9/21

Yes indeed, I am very pleased and also very relieved, because even if I told myself in the beginning that I don't care too much if it goes south, I wanted to succeed the longer I worked on it :)

I almost can't believe what I just did. After a 6497 movement, this was only the second time that I fully dismantled a movement and put it back together, this time the 2824 movement.

It's so rewarding: I started out with a broken watch without stem and hands, and now I have a working watch :)

The sense of achievement will fuel you through the coming week I’m sure. You inspire me to give it a try myself in the not too distant future. Bravo sir:notworthy:

Plaasbaas

Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
P..DR..D dear friend, kind as ever you were asking about my progress on this project (see above) :)

It's finished!

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16

Congratulations bro! You will bond with your watches as never before once you have performed surgery on them. There's literally no fun for me in wearing my expensive swiss watches compared to ones I have built, serviced, or modded.

This is a strong bar magnet from a big box store. I put 2 felt feet on it and attached it a broomstick. The felt feet keep it about 1/4" off the floor, and I can sweep for flying parts. It will save your ass and get you back to work. Be sure to demagnetize parts after you use a magnet to retrieve them. And take your watch off when you're louping your magnet for those missing parts LOL!

P..DR..D

KING OF LINKS
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
P..DR..D dear friend, kind as ever you were asking about my progress on this project (see above) :)

It's finished!

That is just class, congratulations :thumbsup:
How on earth did I miss this thread of awesomeness.

Such an achievement my friend, from start to finish, very very cool, and you should be very proud of yourself.

I'll be sending all my watches to Germany in the future ;)

Plaasbaas

Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany

Congratulations bro! You will bond with your watches as never before once you have performed surgery on them. There's literally no fun for me in wearing my expensive swiss watches compared to ones I have built, serviced, or modded.

This is a strong bar magnet from a big box store. I put 2 felt feet on it and attached it a broomstick. The felt feet keep it about 1/4" off the floor, and I can sweep for flying parts. It will save your ass and get you back to work. Be sure to demagnetize parts after you use a magnet to retrieve them. And take your watch off when you're louping your magnet for those missing parts LOL!

Thanks for your kind words, Sir! Yes, I already feel a special bond with her :)

And you just made my day with that awesome tool of yours! It's a life-saver, I need that! Gonna copy your build :thumbsup:

Reactions: WatchSmith.US

Plaasbaas

Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
That is just class, congratulations :thumbsup:
How on earth did I miss this thread of awesomeness.

Such an achievement my friend, from start to finish, very very cool, and you should be very proud of yourself.

I'll be sending all my watches to Germany in the future ;)

Thank you so much my friend :) I am still scared to death when I open a watch, I would never dare to touch ones that I don't want to mess up haha :p

But I really really appreciate your kind words!