• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ETA2836-2 Clone with Gen DayDate Dial

phamid

Looking Around
7/8/21
Hi all,

Fairly new to the reps and I'm in the middle of building my franken 18238 with a genuine dial with parts obtained from raffles.

The problem I'm currently facing is when after overlaying the new day and date wheels, the clearance between the dial and movement is not enough for quickset and 24 hour to work correctly. I'm concerned that adding a spacer will add further troubles in fitting it into its case.

My belief is that I'll need to 3D print a new movement holder with slightly more room, otherwise I'll have to source a 3155 which would be near impossible to find in this market.

Am I going in the right direction for this? Would anyone have a CAD file for the movement spacer I can work with?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
If I understand your issue correctly, you may be able to make both overlays work by shaving the original date and daywheels down to a thinner size. You can even take some off the underside of the overlays if you need to.

Take a look at this post for some ideas.

Noob Skydweller GMT wheel replacement

Last edited:
Reactions: WatchSmith.US

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
^^ what he said, remove the ETA day & date wheels, sand them down, face down to remove the paint. You'll gain 0.2 or so mm this way.

Some of these cases are made for 2836 movements, others for 2824's, as long as you have the correct case then raising the dial another 0.2 mm or so isn't going to have a huge impact on fitment.

Reactions: KJ2020

phamid

Looking Around
7/8/21
Awesome, thanks both for the suggestion, I'll get to doing that and circle back on my progress

Reactions: KJ2020