• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Watch longevity, modding, new guy question

KNJoe

Horology Curious
27/11/21
Please excuse my ignorance.

Assuming I buy a nice replica, like it, and would rather replace parts than buy a new one every few years (which is exactly the sort of thing I'd do), how long could I probably keep that going?

Are the components largely all the same in these things? If it's really specific to each watch, I can't get too specific because I haven't bought one yet. (I've already tried a couple times, but oddly, I'm finding these guys don't make it super easy for me to send them my money.) If it helps any, my purchase will probably have a tourbillion, and be an A Lange & Sohne, Breguet, or Audemars Piguet. If anyone has input on what to buy based on increased longevity, I'm listening.

How long do good reps last without replacing anything? Can I buy a nice one of these and seriously expect it to last me ten years without repairs?

Is a good replica going to keep time as well any given other watch? How about the date windows, or other functions, will they likely stay functioning as long as I'd find in other watches in the same price range?

Will a nice replica break more easily than a decent mainstream watch?

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Welcome to RWI. Enjoy the forum, and no need to apologise - we all have to start somewhere.

Assuming I buy a nice replica, like it, and would rather replace parts than buy a new one every few years (which is exactly the sort of thing I'd do), how long could I probably keep that going?
Oh, indefinitely. Get it serviced (by a watchsmith who will work on reps) and it should be fine for years. You can get it serviced soon after you receive it, or you can wait till it shows any signs of not functioning as normal (which could be days, weeks, years - you never know with a watch that's been made in China under slightly less than sterile clean room conditions.

Are the components largely all the same in these things?
Hmm... Well it's not that generic. Watches tend to come with a wide range of movements and components. Otherwise they'd all look the same and be automatic quartz tourbillon day-date chronographs with moon phase and a digital panel.

If it helps any, my purchase will probably have a tourbillion, and be an A Lange & Sohne, Breguet, or Audemars Piguet.
It'll have a tourbillion eh? Of course, something generic and reliable. Right, scrub all my answers to this point. Rep tourbillons are either cosmetic (they're for show only, they don't actually function as designed) and/or they're like hen's teeth - you'll never get any parts for the movement should it malfunction. So if it's reliability and ease of maintenance that you're after, you might want to think again.

Is a good replica going to keep time as well any given other watch? How about the date windows, or other functions, will they likely stay functioning as long as I'd find in other watches in the same price range?
Yes.

Will a nice replica break more easily than a decent mainstream watch?
I can confirm from personal experience that it's quite easy to break any watch. Watches are full of tiny moving parts and any watch - rep or "mainstream" - can go wrong at any time.

I'd recommend you spend some time here: https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/new-members-area

And also take a look in the forums that are dedicated to the brands you're interested in. There's no better way to get familiar with reps than reading posts by people who already own them.

Enjoy the ride!

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
Common clone movements like ETA or Rolex 3135 can be repaired and replaced fairly easily. The farther you stray from those the fewer options you have as far parts and people willing to work on them.

Reactions: KJ2020

KNJoe

Horology Curious
27/11/21
p0pperini said:
Rep tourbillons are either cosmetic (they're for show only, they don't actually function as designed) and/or they're like hen's teeth - you'll never get any parts for the movement should it malfunction. So if it's reliability and ease of maintenance that you're after, you might want to think again.

Then if I want a tourbillon it looks like I'll either need a fake one or I'll just have to cry when it irreparably breaks. How do I identify fake tourbillons? I have seen a few dozen of these sites, including every TD posted on RWI, and none of them advertise their watches as having cosmetic tourbillons. Can't imagine why not.

p0pperini said:
And also take a look in the forums that are dedicated to the brands you're interested in. There's no better way to get familiar with reps than reading posts by people who already own them.

Yes, it seems A Lange & Sohne has many dozens, if not hundreds, of posts on the subject of how there aren't enough AL&S replicas.

I did also check out the new member section. Most posts were either the, "I want a perfect A++++ 1:1 super perfect replica of _____!" or the, "hi I'm new here." I also found I had to redirect my questions to the sections like this where people who could answer them spend their time. I did read all of the stickies that seemed remotely applicable in every section I looked at, many are very helpful. The level of technical expertise and helpfulness on this forum is really impressive. I haven't used the internet much for the last several years, but I don't recall the forums I had encountered when younger as having their act together this well.

Reactions: p0pperini

CurioLeo

GPsy King
Gold Patron
Certified
22/8/18
Australia
So, just to be clear, you are hoping to acquire a watch which normally costs in 6 digits (new or old), only encased in platinum or a gold variety, incorporating a complication that's clearly not going to be the same as the real deal for presumably somewhere around $1000 USD and preferably lasting up to 10 years at which point you will simply replace the part/s that has failed. Did I cover everything ????

Reactions: Hesekiel

MJH89

Deskdweller
Supporter
Certified
13/1/17
Land of Cream Teas and Roast Dinners
If you are really after a full working tourbillion and want the reliability/warranty of a genuine watch you could do worse than check out the Zerotime T4: https://zerootime.com/en/products/zeroo-t4-the-archer-full-skeleton-tourbillon

I have got reps which are with asian clone movements which are more reliable than one of my Omega movements but most of the reliability is getting the watch serviced as soon as you get it in order for it to last a long time.

KNJoe

Horology Curious
27/11/21
"... just to be clear, you are hoping to acquire a watch which normally costs in 6 digits (new or old)"
​​​​​​No. I'm looking to acquire a watch that bears a striking cosmetic resemblance to a watch that would normally cost that much.

"incorporating a complication that's clearly not going to be the same as the real deal"
Your comprehension of the obvious is 20/20.

"... for presumably somewhere around $1000 USD and preferably lasting up to 10 years" ​​​​​​Yes, it makes sense to me that something that I'm paying 1,000$ for would potentially last several years if I maintained it in the manner proscribed by the helpful members of this forum.

"at which point you will simply replace the part/s that has failed."
No, I asked whether this was feasible. It would make sense that something mass-produced in China would in fact be composed of replaceable parts like, you know, pretty much everything since the early 1900s. And also that if they're producing a sufficient quantity of these, I might theoretically have been able to buy parts off the factory.
That is why I asked if that was logistically possible, and got an answer from someone very helpful.

"Did I cover everything ????"
No, you left out my stated surprise that a forum thread went a whole three posts without a blithering jerk rearing his nasty head. But thank you for reminding me of what I didn't miss about the internet.

As for the rest of them...

​​​​​​So how bad are the terrible versions of these replicas? Like, if I buy an AL&S off a junkier site like this,
http://www.d4l.co/a-lange-sohne-lange-1-tourbillon-handwerkskunst-replica-704-048.html
I'll get what I pay for, but how bad is that likely to be? Date windows aren't mechanical, just cosmetic? Will the fake tourbillon even move? Will the power reserve actually function?

​​​​And if everything functions, what's the difference between the junk and the good stuff? Level of duplication of appearance?

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
^those are a whole different set of questions and possibly best asked in the AL&S sub forum.

But if you buy a cheapie from a non TD, that shows a pic of a gen instead of the actual product, how are we suppose to know what you’ll get. You could get literally get anything.

Stick to TD websites and watches from established factories, which probably have already been reviewed here. If you can find any info here on a specific TD offering, you can ask within the sub forums

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Ps. Don’t get a cheapie AL&S, the Quality will be embarrassing for a brand that is all about Quality....unless your aim is to just have the brand name on the wrist.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

KNJoe

Horology Curious
27/11/21
Once I got the initial feedback in this thread I ordered something from a TD I found through this forum.

The new questions included that link as an example, it's not specific to AL&S. I'm just curious what kind of craziness goes on with bad replicas. I was only wondering what kind of stuff happens when it's junk. Means things don't work? It's a Timex with a glued on cardboard face? Or just a really poor attention to detail watch?

The one I bought is apparently some sort of proprietary take on an old movement,
"New movement clone, base movement Asian 2824 automatic movement at 28800vph". So ... Probably the worst of both worlds? I'm assuming "new" means "not easily repaired".

enduser

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
29/7/20
UK
That movement is widespread - if it goes wrong you will be able to replace the entire movement for very little money. You could also probably replace the asian clone with a genuine swiss eta movement if you wanted increased reliability

CurioLeo

GPsy King
Gold Patron
Certified
22/8/18
Australia
"... just to be clear, you are hoping to acquire a watch which normally costs in 6 digits (new or old)"
​​​​​​No. I'm looking to acquire a watch that bears a striking cosmetic resemblance to a watch that would normally cost that much.

"incorporating a complication that's clearly not going to be the same as the real deal"
Your comprehension of the obvious is 20/20.

"... for presumably somewhere around $1000 USD and preferably lasting up to 10 years" ​​​​​​Yes, it makes sense to me that something that I'm paying 1,000$ for would potentially last several years if I maintained it in the manner proscribed by the helpful members of this forum.

"at which point you will simply replace the part/s that has failed."
No, I asked whether this was feasible. It would make sense that something mass-produced in China would in fact be composed of replaceable parts like, you know, pretty much everything since the early 1900s. And also that if they're producing a sufficient quantity of these, I might theoretically have been able to buy parts off the factory.
That is why I asked if that was logistically possible, and got an answer from someone very helpful.

"Did I cover everything ????"
No, you left out my stated surprise that a forum thread went a whole three posts without a blithering jerk rearing his nasty head. But thank you for reminding me of what I didn't miss about the internet.

As for the rest of them...

​​​​​​So how bad are the terrible versions of these replicas? Like, if I buy an AL&S off a junkier site like this,
http://www.d4l.co/a-lange-sohne-lange-1-tourbillon-handwerkskunst-replica-704-048.html
I'll get what I pay for, but how bad is that likely to be? Date windows aren't mechanical, just cosmetic? Will the fake tourbillon even move? Will the power reserve actually function?

​​​​And if everything functions, what's the difference between the junk and the good stuff? Level of duplication of appearance?

If you want striking cosmetic resemblance to an ALS tourbillon, you are out of luck unless you actually get the real deal - just the way it is, suck it up .Replica watches are not the solution to a shortfall between social aspirations and financial realities.

It never ceases to amaze me that there is always a blithering jetk, as you say, who wants a highly aspirational veblen good, such as a watch from the unofficial member of the Holy Trinity, at 0.5% of the cost butl hopes to get a 10 year life with minimal further expenditure. If you can legitimately pull off a ALS tourbillon without looking like a jerk, you wouldn't be asking the questions you did. If you can't, then you are truly a jerk for trying. Just to be clear, no judgement from me as to what you can or can't afford or choose to wear. However, some questions attract sarcastic answers .

KNJoe

Horology Curious
27/11/21
That movement is widespread - if it goes wrong you will be able to replace the entire movement for very little money. You could also probably replace the asian clone with a genuine swiss eta movement if you wanted increased reliability

I had assumed that because it's advertised as some sort of a new take on an old movement, some proprietary modification to the a 2824, that they would not be interchangable. What you're saying indicates that any alterations they've made to it wouldn't be so significant I can't just switch them out? Because if I can just keep replacing a common 2824 movement, that would be fantastic.

And thanks to the two who gave advice on other watch option.

​​​​​I continue to be impressed by the high ratio this forum maintains of helpful, mature responses.

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Reported for flaming ?