• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex Sub from ZF - BROKEN in three weeks

JNSD

You're Saying I Can Sell?
30/7/21
Australia
Ok team, an update.

Finally got the energy yesterday to spend a few hours doing the transplant and got it all ready.

Pulled apart the watch and then the replacement movement from AliExpress.

VERY carefully tried to get the gem (is that what they're even called?) off that sits under the date wheel that I lost previously and it wouldn't budge... Turned the hour hands a bit to make more room and it clicked over the 24hrs and SNAP! The gem flew off just like it did on my original movement. The wave of panic that went over me was up there with the best of them. This time I did hear the gem land and I think it was on my workstation.

After looking for a while, I looked right in front of me and I think I saw it... Now for those of you who have never pulled a watch apart in real detail and have only ever admired from the sidelines on forums like this, when you see the images they are under such magnification, it's hard to describe. Now I don't profess to have perfect 20/20 vision anymore, but I don't wear glasses and it's still very sharp. This gem was RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME on the desk and I could hardly see it. Granted I have a black workstation and they may well be a reason that professionals have green, but CHRIST ALMIGHTY these parts are smaller than you can fathom. You'll see in the images below that I have it on a piece of Rodico for reference next to a tiny screwdriver.

The good news is it was found. I realised that I had to pull the date finger out and do this properly so that's what I did. I also looked up the manual and saw what needed oiling as I thought that given how badly it was running, it needed something to help it along. I used the Moebius 9010 for all the bits I did. Also oiling is incredibly difficult to get right and I'd be pretty sure mine wasn't spot on.

Regardless, there were some ups and downs and issues but it all went together well in the end and it is working again.

As for timekeeping? Well, I'm pleased to say that it isn't stopping after 4-9hrs like it was and I'd be pretty sure it was due to that modified and probably bent old date wheel that I tried to put a new piece of metal onto. The date ticks over again and she isn't stopping. I will do a test and see how long it does last, but I think anything over 24hrs and I'll be happy.

The average (I won't say bad, but I don't love it) news is that the timekeeping isn't great still... it's better than it was, but upon the first 24hrs on the wrist, I estimate that it lost just over a minute.

However since I changed the date and reset it again today, it seems to have gotten worse and on the last count, it lost a minute in the last hour!

I'll keep monitoring it, but I've come to the conclusion that I am at the peak of my desired watchmaking skill right now as to clean and oil an entire watch would require so much new equipment and also time for me to learn that I don't think it's worth it. If it's really bad, I think I'll just have to bite the bullet and purchase a good mechanism and just transplant it.

I want a really good timekeeper as I'm pretty anal about that stuff. A part of me still wants a timegrapher so that I can know but the issue is then I will actually really know how bad it is and won't be able to do anything about it.

If any of you who have experience want to chime in on modifying the timing and if you think it's really hard or if I could do it, I'm all ears.

The only other thought I had was I have read a lot about de-magnetising watches and that it can make a huge difference. If that's not too hard would also like to hear about it.

KJ2020 I had a pretty good look at the movements and they're not the same, they're close but my ZF one is finished far better and the engraving on the back is also much more defined. Colours of the wheels are better on mine etc. Images below of the AliExpress one.
jXOpE2.jpg
jXOP3E.jpg
jXOlrt.jpg
jXOQLF.jpg
jXOTyn.jpg
jXOX43.jpg

Regardless, still out and about enjoying her!
jXOdcs.jpg

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
KJ2020 I had a pretty good look at the movements and they're not the same, they're close but my ZF one is finished far better and the engraving on the back is also much more defined. Colours of the wheels are better on mine etc. Images below of the AliExpress one.
jXOQLF.jpg
jXOTyn.jpg
jXOX43.jpg

I don't think the movement looks bad bro. The ratchet wheel is rough looking and the rotor and autowind bridge aren't the best but there is some decent grooving and perlage on parts of it.

Appearance is only part of the package, and not the greatest part. Even now, I would recommend throwing some hands onto the new movement, wind it fully and see how it runs. Or even easier, test it on a timegrapher. If it runs well you can put the jewel for yoke for cam (correct part name) and the date finger back in the new movement and have a better result. Plus you can scavenge the ratchet wheel and autowind/rotor from the ZF movement if you wanted to.

I just put an Ali VR3135 into a rep yesterday and here's its TG reading OOTB. Looks are nice to have but I'll take performance every time. I also ditched a beautiful VS3235 that had some gen parts for an Ali VR3235 that runs great. I had a lot of problems with the VS including two bad balances so you gotta know when to fold 'em hehe.

jXj6R1.jpg

jXjYTR.jpg

Regarding magnetism, if a movement becomes magnetized the coils of the balance hairspring can stick to each other effectively shortening the length which causes the timing to greatly speed up. This would not be a fault with yours as it's losing a lot of time. Demagnetizers are cheap though, and an essential tool if you continue in your watchmaking efforts. You have definitely jumped in with both feet doing what you have already so you can surely do this successfully if you stick with it.

Cheers

Last edited:

JNSD

30/7/21
Australia
Fantastic info and advice KJ2020 You're probably right. I might be flogging a dead horse at this stage. I am very particular about accuracy and precision and I feel that I'll probably never get this to where I want it.

I think that I may need to get a timegrapher as unless I do have one, it's mainly all going to be a guess (apart from monitoring every 5-10 hrs to see what a movement loses.)

From the questions previously, it doesn't seem like there's much difference between the Weishi 1000 and 1900 apart from display quality and standby.

Reactions: KJ2020

AlanGC

Horology Curious
1/11/21
Have you tried the phone apps? Again I have very limited knowledge but the numbers I am getting off an app are bang on with the QC numbers so mustn’t be too bad.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Reactions: Plaasbaas

Plaasbaas

IWC-hoarder and PAM-hunter
Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
Have you tried the phone apps? Again I have very limited knowledge but the numbers I am getting off an app are bang on with the QC numbers so mustn’t be too bad.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Same here. I am using a timegrapher app on my smartphone, that does the job so far for me.
I have nothing to compare its accuracy to, but real life timekeeping of the watches I adjusted
according to the app's readings is very good.

JNSD Again, I bow my head. What you do here is truly remarkable.

The effects of magnetism have been explained above.

A movement swap will make your watch good to go again and you could still tinker with the
movement that is currently giving you trouble, especially given your amazing skill set.

A watch that is running slow in general makes me think of too much friction somewhere, especially
with the parts that drive the hands in the end. Of course it can have other causes, too. Would also
be interesting to know, if timekeeping is constant in all positions (dial up, dial down, crown up, crown
down and so on). As I said, I only use the timegrapher app on my phone. It is far from top notch, but
it allows me to get an idea of what is going on and it is for free! (Android phone).

I assume that you haven't touched and moved the lever close to the hairspring, that is used to
adjust timekeeping, because that would be too obvious.

Reactions: JNSD and Rocket14

JNSD

30/7/21
Australia
Same here. I am using a timegrapher app on my smartphone, that does the job so far for me.
I have nothing to compare its accuracy to, but real life timekeeping of the watches I adjusted
according to the app's readings is very good.

JNSD Again, I bow my head. What you do here is truly remarkable.

The effects of magnetism have been explained above.

A movement swap will make your watch good to go again and you could still tinker with the
movement that is currently giving you trouble, especially given your amazing skill set.

A watch that is running slow in general makes me think of too much friction somewhere, especially
with the parts that drive the hands in the end. Of course it can have other causes, too. Would also
be interesting to know, if timekeeping is constant in all positions (dial up, dial down, crown up, crown
down and so on). As I said, I only use the timegrapher app on my phone. It is far from top notch, but
it allows me to get an idea of what is going on and it is for free! (Android phone).

I assume that you haven't touched and moved the lever close to the hairspring, that is used to
adjust timekeeping, because that would be too obvious.

Appreciate the feedback and kind words. It’s certainly a very difficult hobby/skill set. It reminds me of when I took up golf. Now, I was a very good athlete in other sports, and when I first took up golf I was adamant that I could get to scratch. Boy was I wrong. It’s the most difficult sport there is.

This feels the same. I’m a very good mechanically minded and practised person. I can do anything on tools, and have! But WATCHMAKING!!!! This is insanely difficult.

I have that app and might put it on just to see what it says. I haven’t touched anything else. I was looking at how to modify a Rolex time but again I just shake my head. You need their special tool and really a timegrapher.

JNSD

30/7/21
Australia
An update.

Well I bought a Timegrapher off a fellow Reddit user to see how bad the watch was. It was BAD.

I stupidly didn’t take any photos of the screen at the time but I can say that it runs at least 15-20 minutes slow a day!!!

I was about to investigate a brand new moment that was done from one of you many talented watchsmiths then I thought “why not try the cheap and cheerful one you got for parts, you’ve got nothing to lose!”

So I transplanted it this morning.

HOLY COW LOOK AT THE TIMEGRAPHER RESULTS!

cd58437fb7c1b0e25a51ccd23e91d79c.jpg

Last edited:

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
An update.

Well I bought a Timegrapher off a fellow Reddit user to see how bad the watch was. It was BAD.

I stupidly didn’t take any photos of the screen at the time but I can say that it runs at least 15-20 minutes slow a day!!!

I was about to investigate a brand new moment that was done from one of you many talented watchsmiths then I thought “why not try the cheap and cheerful one you got for parts, you’ve got nothing to lose!”

So I transplanted it this morning.

HOLY COW LOOK AT THE TIMEGRAPHER RESULTS!

cd58437fb7c1b0e25a51ccd23e91d79c.jpg

Congratulations bro! It’s a great feeling isn’t it? Well done!

Reactions: JNSD