• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex Sub from ZF - BROKEN in three weeks

Plaasbaas

IWC-hoarder and PAM-hunter
Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
Ok so Christmas is done and the ZF was worn with pride! They really do look mint...

Anyhow, it's running like an absolute DOG. Losing about 2+ minutes every day (Maybe more as can't stand it so keep fixing the time).

This could be due to the lost jewel under the Date Finger as that will be causing undue friction now, or it could be another issue I am unaware of [...] which will mean I have to take the skills to ANOTHER level to clean some parts and oil? Or learn how to adjust the accuracy which without a time graph machine is impossible?

You are doing so great, it's insane, and an encouragement for me to pursue my own endeavours to increase my skills.

As bad timekeeping can have several reasons, it would be interesting to know if you noticed the same BEFORE you started working on the watch, or if it is something that only occurred after that.

Lubrication does have a great effect, but still there are badly oiled watches directly from China, that run reasonably well. Adjusting the accuracy is not that hard and actually fun once you get into it. I have done that with good success, adjusting timekeeping and beat error. While the professional way would be to invest in a proper timegrapher, I have done so by the use of a fairly simple app on my smartphone until now. Of course the app is probably not THAT accurate, but still OK so far for me - and it's for free!

Reactions: JNSD

JNSD

You're Saying I Can Sell?
30/7/21
Australia
You are doing so great, it's insane, and an encouragement for me to pursue my own endeavours to increase my skills.

As bad timekeeping can have several reasons, it would be interesting to know if you noticed the same BEFORE you started working on the watch, or if it is something that only occurred after that.

Lubrication does have a great effect, but still there are badly oiled watches directly from China, that run reasonably well. Adjusting the accuracy is not that hard and actually fun once you get into it. I have done that with good success, adjusting timekeeping and beat error. While the professional way would be to invest in a proper timegrapher, I have done so by the use of a fairly simple app on my smartphone until now. Of course the app is probably not THAT accurate, but still OK so far for me - and it's for free!

Ok good to know and thanks for the encouragement! I’ll give it a red hot go! Will take like 3 weeks to get a new movement but as always will report back with photos and progress.

I bought Kello, which I guess I could try to use. Be good to know how to modify the watch speed though. If anyone has any good links to YouTube’s that they like feel free to post!

Reactions: Plaasbaas

Plaasbaas

IWC-hoarder and PAM-hunter
Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
Ok good to know and thanks for the encouragement! I’ll give it a red hot go! Will take like 3 weeks to get a new movement but as always will report back with photos and progress.

I bought Kello, which I guess I could try to use. Be good to know how to modify the watch speed though. If anyone has any good links to YouTube’s that they like feel free to post!

Here you go mate - hope you find it as useful as I did :) (and I hope the link works)

How to Regulate an Automatic Wristwatch - Watch and Learn #25 - YouTube

Reactions: JNSD

JNSD

30/7/21
Australia
Ok so I've ordered the $125AUD total 3135 movement, so at least I will have a lot of parts as needed...

Next I am thinking about the cheapest Timegrapher that will do the job... Is a Weishi 1000 ok??? This one looks good for the price ($133AUD currently)

What's the difference between a 1,000, 1,900, 3,000 or 5,000? Are there any brands better than the others? Can anyone make any recommendations for the rabbit hole?

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
Ok so I've ordered the $125AUD total 3135 movement, so at least I will have a lot of parts as needed...

Next I am thinking about the cheapest Timegrapher that will do the job... Is a Weishi 1000 ok??? This one looks good for the price ($133AUD currently)

What's the difference between a 1,000, 1,900, 3,000 or 5,000? Are there any brands better than the others? Can anyone make any recommendations for the rabbit hole?

The 1000 and 1900 have a cord switch that’s very inconveniently located behind the machine. The 1900 however can stay in standby mode so you don’t need to hunt for the switch with each use. It also has a higher resolution display that better than the 1000 model.

Reactions: Plaasbaas and JNSD

JNSD

30/7/21
Australia
The 1000 and 1900 have a cord switch that’s very inconveniently located behind the machine. The 1900 however can stay in standby mode so you don’t need to hunt for the switch with each use. It also has a higher resolution display that better than the 1000 model.

But for very limited use and single watch application like this repair, is there any technical difference eg does the 1900 monitor the beats better than the 1000 or is it the same apart from the resolution?

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Larger screen allows for more data points to display at a time. The price difference isn't that much, so I opted for the 1900. There's no difference in how you use it, sensitivity, etc to my knowledge as I don't have a 1000 to compare to.

Reactions: Plaasbaas and JNSD

JNSD

30/7/21
Australia
Ok so a small update but so many questions.

Got the replacement movement from AliExpress, seems ok so far. Haven’t had the energy to pull apart the Sub and try to fix yet.

The main issue I have right now is that the Sub is running like a dog. It is now running about 1 minute slow per 3hrs and when I take it off my wrist when it’s fully wound it will stop working within about 4-9hrs at most. So something is very wrong.

My initial hypothesis is that when I did all the messing around with the date wheel and soldered it’s now rough and maybe even a bit bent. Plus the gem/crystal whatever you call them is also gone so that would be definitely creating drag.

I’ve also had it apart four or five times. Unsure if I need to oil anything? I have the oil now but have been reluctant!

Thoughts welcomed before I pull her apart and go again!

4280c4442d063ca66e3c118e96f4c588.jpg

Reactions: keisuke_z

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Ok so a small update but so many questions.

Got the replacement movement from AliExpress, seems ok so far. Haven’t had the energy to pull apart the Sub and try to fix yet.

The main issue I have right now is that the Sub is running like a dog. It is now running about 1 minute slow per 3hrs and when I take it off my wrist when it’s fully wound it will stop working within about 4-9hrs at most. So something is very wrong.

My initial hypothesis is that when I did all the messing around with the date wheel and soldered it’s now rough and maybe even a bit bent. Plus the gem/crystal whatever you call them is also gone so that would be definitely creating drag.

I’ve also had it apart four or five times. Unsure if I need to oil anything? I have the oil now but have been reluctant!

Thoughts welcomed before I pull her apart and go again!

4280c4442d063ca66e3c118e96f4c588.jpg

Bro at your experience level I highly recommend doing a complete movement swap to the new movement and get your watch up and running well again.

Then you can leisurely tinker with your problem movement separately and gain experience tearing it down and learning how to service it properly. Get the service manual, get all the proper oils and oilers and some more good tools, etc.

It does not make good sense to ruin a good movement to try to salvage a bad one. You may end up with two bad ones.

Last edited:

JNSD

30/7/21
Australia
Bro at your experience level I highly recommend doing a complete movement swap to the new movement and get your watch up and running well again.

Then you can leisurely tinker with your problem movement separately and gain experience tearing it down and learning how to service it properly. Get the service manual, get all the proper oils and oilers and some more good tools, etc.

It is not good sense to ruin a good movement to try to salvage a bad one. You may end up with two bad ones.

The issue is that the movement I got from AliExpress is a “cheap” one. It was $125 which isn’t terrible but it’s not the best and I assume it’s nowhere near the quality of the original that is in my watch currently. All I wanted to do was replace the datewheel and gem from the AliExpress one to the one in my watch and see how she runs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
The issue is that the movement I got from AliExpress is a “cheap” one. It was $125 which isn’t terrible but it’s not the best and I assume it’s nowhere near the quality of the original that is in my watch currently. All I wanted to do was replace the datewheel and gem from the AliExpress one to the one in my watch and see how she runs.

They are probably the same movement. Post pics I can tell you. I get clone VR3135 movements from Ali regularly. They are not junk movements.

Last edited:

JNSD

30/7/21
Australia
Hahaha I hope not. I’m yet to have a good look under magnification but from even short glances seems it’s not finished as well at all as the one currently in the watch.

I really want a timegrapher!

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
The ones I get from Ali vendor OULIGUAN are identical to what the rep factories use. I have always gotten what I paid for from that vendor.

jTW1mj.jpg

You can spend $50 more for the next-gen version and get a balance assembly deco plate that I always remove anyway. And then the regulating arms are inconvenient to reach. So why would you? Why would anyone?

jTWYc1.jpg

You can buy an unbranded VS3135 but ZFs didn't come with them.

https://trustytimewatch.io/index.php...ducts_id=22140

Last edited:

RunningFast

14/8/18
Waco, TX
Well, I have had a similar experience with that very same TD sending me a turd. Of course they wanted me to send it back, and I said no thanks. I have been dumb enough to send one back to China before and it was "never was received", not going to make that mistake again. That was their only offer for a solution, send it back and probably never see it again. Simply put, I will no longer do business with that TD for that reason. I sent the watch off for a service and had it back in perfect order for an additional $120.

I feel for you man, it sucks. Having lived through it I can advise you, get the TD out of your head, they won't help. They have your money and really that is all they care about. Ya gotta just take it in the shorts and get it serviced. It stinks to put up the extra cash but you'll be happy with your watch when the sting of having to service a brand new watch passes. Servicing your watch will be cheaper than buying the tools yourself and ruining the movement anyway.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out for you.

Reactions: JNSD and Rocket14