• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

VS Omega "No time to die" Crown/Tube replacement

maxus minimax

You're Saying I Can Sell?
8/6/20
I have a problem with my VS factory V3 Seamaster "No time to die" , the crown and/or tube threading seams to be damaged or worn out.
Anybody knows if this case would take an gen tube and crown?
thx

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
This old post needs to be brought from deep slumber because, based on the postings I’ve read, defective crown and/or tube threads on VSF NTTD watches is a wide-spread problem.

So, time to ask again, has anyone put a gen tube and crown in a VSF NTTD?

Searching the forums has turned up no fix except clipping the stem which is not a fix but a compromise.

Omega parts are inexpensive so that seems the optimum solution but I’m pretty sure VSF specs are not straight swap compatible and the genuine parts guys on ebay have no clue which crown is on the real watch.

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
It actually is on the whole range of VSF SMP's, unfortunately.
That’s what I’ve heard. I don’t mind replacing the tube but would love to know which tube? It looks like a friction fit.

Geonor

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
20/5/22
Norway
That’s what I’ve heard. I don’t mind replacing the tube but would love to know which tube? It looks like a friction fit.
You'd have to use a special tool to push it out and use some calipers to find the right diameter of the tube and the threading if it's the tube that is the issue.

pippo

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/1/10
I am also surprised nobody here can answer this question given the popularity of this watch and how common the issue is.
Maybe people simply shorten the stem and live with it.

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
You'd have to use a special tool to push it out and use some calipers to find the right diameter of the tube and the threading if it's the tube that is the issue.
Thank you. I’ve done this before, but on other watches. What I’m really interested in finding out is what Gen parts to source and where because my Omega parts supplier doesn’t recognize the NTTD case number.

Since this is a widely reported issue with this particular watch, I’m certain someone has fixed their VSF No Time to Die without clipping the stem and I am interested in hearing from them, particularly if they placed a Gen tube.

Bpyfu

Known Member
19/1/21
Hi folks. So I too had the typical problem on my nttd crown. I was able to find a gen crown on eBay. You can try searching this part number: 069TI42154. Or try this item number: 184780721749. That item was what I purchased.
On my old crown, I felt like I barely had a quarter of a turn of actual thread catching. After I swapped the gen crown on, I get about a full turn or turn and a half. I feel like a true fix should give me at least a couple rotations of thread catching, but the gen crown was definitely an improvement.
I’m thinking that could mean that the tube itself has some stripped threads as well. But I have not been able to find a replacement tube as of yet.

Reactions: pippo

Bpyfu

Known Member
19/1/21
Also, from what I can see it looks like the rep has a press fit tube. I have no idea if the gen tube is also press fit. I’ve heard others say the gen is threaded. So that would open up a can of worms as far as having to tap threads into the case to accept a gen crown tube. But that is just speculation on my part.

pippo

10/1/10
Also, from what I can see it looks like the rep has a press fit tube. I have no idea if the gen tube is also press fit. I’ve heard others say the gen is threaded. So that would open up a can of worms as far as having to tap threads into the case to accept a gen crown tube. But that is just speculation on my part.
Out of curiosity, how can you tell if push fit or screw in, if you haven't removed the rep tube?

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Different model yes, but I have an LMPO which I installed a genuine crown in. I also have the tube but did not install it since it worked fine and passed pressure test. That one the tube is a press fit, not threaded. Not sure if this information helps

Bpyfu

Known Member
19/1/21
Out of curiosity, how can you tell if push fit or screw in, if you haven't removed the rep tube?
I can try to take a pic when I get a chance, but it appeared to me that there was smooth, unthreaded tube protruding from the inside of the case.

Bpyfu

Known Member
19/1/21
Also, there is no way for a crown tube tool to engage the tube, like the hex pattern you see in a Rolex crown tube.

pippo

10/1/10
I can try to take a pic when I get a chance, but it appeared to me that there was smooth, unthreaded tube protruding from the inside of the case.
Ah OK, clear now.
In my personal experience all rep crown tubes I replaced were not threaded.

Beartooth

CREAM OF THE CROP
Patron
Certified
22/2/22
MT
👀 watching this thread as I have the same issue

Slugger

Absent Minded Professor
Supporter
Certified
17/9/20
CONUS
Ah OK, clear now.
In my personal experience all rep crown tubes I replaced were not threaded.
Actually, every decent Rolex rep I’ve seen has a threaded case tube. can’t speak for the indecent ones because I‘m not that kind of guy.😉

To the point, however, my VSF NTTD rep does indeed have a press-fit tube and, like many, it needs replacing.

While I believe the genuine Omega has a screw in tube, I know this only from others as I have only seen photos of the gen watch. Since I’ve never seen photos of the tube on the gen, I suspect the crappy tube problem is VSF’s and not Omega’s. 😡

Other than a movement needlessly encumbered with decorative hardware*, I think the rep is good enough to warrant an upgrade. The VSF case set is quite solid so I’m willing to drill and tap mine to accommodate genuine parts once I can source them; however, if VSF ups their game and releases a rep NTTD without all the flaws, I may never fix mine and you will see it listed for cheap on the ”For Sale” forum.

*IMHO decorative hardware with a solid caseback has got to be the worst idea ever.

daytonadude

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
11/2/23
CONUS
No! The Reddit poster may have a stripped crown, but on mine, the problem is DEFINITELY the tube. The “solution“ is not simply a new crown and (for some reason) stem.
Got it. What about the mod that turns the crown into a pull out instead of a screw down? It’s not like a gen but solves the problem in theory?

Agreed to the decorative movement with a closed case back as well…

pippo

10/1/10
Actually, every decent Rolex rep I’ve seen has a threaded case tube. can’t speak for the indecent ones because I‘m not that kind of guy.😉

To the point, however, my VSF NTTD rep does indeed have a press-fit tube and, like many, it needs replacing.

While I believe the genuine Omega has a screw in tube, I know this only from others as I have only seen photos of the gen watch. Since I’ve never seen photos of the tube on the gen, I suspect the crappy tube problem is VSF’s and not Omega’s. 😡

Other than a movement needlessly encumbered with decorative hardware*, I think the rep is good enough to warrant an upgrade. The VSF case set is quite solid so I’m willing to drill and tap mine to accommodate genuine parts once I can source them; however, if VSF ups their game and releases a rep NTTD without all the flaws, I may never fix mine and you will see it listed for cheap on the ”For Sale” forum.

*IMHO decorative hardware with a solid caseback has got to be the worst idea ever.
My bad, should have mentioned I am interested only in Omega and IWCs.
Of course my experience is limited also for these 2 brands. :)

If you got the tools and skills to tap the case, that's indeed the best upgrade.