• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New 6497 movement, balance wheel problem

iSoft

You're Saying I Can Sell?
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
6/11/19
Belgium
Hi everyone,

So I had a SF Panerai PAM 372 and the super clone in it was to replace.
After searching on the forum and asking questions, the 6497 was indeed a direct replacement for it (just needed new hands and stick the dial with watchmaker double side tape).

So now everything is on but am pretty noob in mods and repairs, first I did this so I have a problem ????.

As soon as I wind it up a bit, the balance wheel runs normally for few seconds, then starts slowing down very very slow (sometimes until it stops from itself).
The only way to get it on the track with a normal speed, is to turn the crown on the hands settings.
So when I wind it up a bit nothing changes, but when I turn the crown on the hands position to adjust them, it starts moving at normal speed (agin just for few seconds before slowing down) ????‍????

Anyone has an idea of what I could try ?

Thanks everyone ????

Nottingham

15/6/19
Maybe unscrew your movement tabs a little bit, there might be too much pressure on your dial forcing the movement to slow Down.

Reactions: Plaasbaas

Plaasbaas

IWC-hoarder and PAM-hunter
Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
Did you make sure that the double sided tape does not touch any parts where free movement is necessary, like pinions or pivot holes?

And do you know if the movement behaved like this, before it was mounted in the case?

Last edited:

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
Check for dial holes clearance. If you installed dial on dial dots there is possibility it moved and touch hands stalling the movement.

Last edited:
Reactions: KOT1917 and KJ2020

KOT1917

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/7/19
Russian federation
Hello.

I completely agree with the opinion of those who commented above that, most likely, there is extra resistance for the movement of the hands, but at which phase it is impossible to answer that way, it is necessary to check.

I also tend to think that the dial and movt match., Because, as far as I understand, the hole in the dial is designed for a thinner gear of the hour, on the P.3000 clone, and it may be easier to break the position than with the original movt.

Here you can see (if you haven't seen before) the best orientation of this swap, and pay attention to how tightly the gear goes into the hole of the dial.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/panerai/7561339-pam617-movement-swap-advice

It describes the ZF factory model, but with the same clone, and I believe all the basic inputs should be the same.