• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

GMT Coke repair (bought here) EU or Austria

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Hi!

I recently bought a watch here https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...710-coke-in-eu and the hour hand has a flaw. My local watch maker said the hour hand spring is broken and he cannot get one.

Any ideas who could fix this?

Thabk you and best regards,

Armin

Need to know for certain which movement you have. Can you post a pic of it?

It has the correct handstack (CHS) so it's either a DG3804 CHS or a 2824 CHS. CHS means for 5 and 6 digit Rolex GMTs the hour hand is on the bottom of the handstack.

If you can't post a pic, you could either

Determine the bph from a timegrapher
21600 = DG3804
28800 = ETA2824

or

Turn the winding crown exactly one complete revolution (crown straight up to crown straight up) and note the number of minutes traversed by the minute hand

~105 mins = DG3804
~45 mins = ETA2824

I know the sales thread stated it has a 2836. This isn't possible there aren't any 2836 CHS rep movements for 5 and 6 digit Rolex GMTs.

Either CHS movement it could be (as I stated above) is fragile and problematic and yours indicated an issue prior to the sale being completed.

Please assist in identifying the movement and I will follow up with some proper advice.

Last edited:

armin75

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/9/21
EU
Hi thank you so much, will do as soon as I get it back from my watchmaker. He is doing service for two other Glashütte GUB watches....

Best regards and thanks!!!

Armin

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Hi thank you so much, will do as soon as I get it back from my watchmaker. He is doing service for two other Glashütte GUB watches....

Best regards and thanks!!!

Armin

You might ask him to ID the movement so he can keep it and fix it pending my advice.

armin75

15/9/21
EU
it is an ETA CHS and he told me he only has swiss ETAs available which do not match. One of the "claws" for the hour hand is missing he said, so the hour hand is not hold in one position and is "slipping through. He will send me a photo and I will post asap.

armin75

15/9/21
EU
And my thanks to RWI forum and it's nice people who are so helping, thank you, merci, grazie, dankeschön!!!

Last edited:

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
The movement is a 2824 CHS timebomb with fake 3285 engraving.

You can read about it in the two threads below. This movement has two major flaws - an ultra fragile jump click spring, and an intermediate datewheel (IDW) that pops up out of place randomly and disengages the hour wheel (and the hour hand).

GMT Movements Explained

Fix for the GMT timebomb movement

Your seller listed the part below as included, but without further explanation you can't know what it refers to. Perhaps you could ask him.

Genuine spring:45€

There is a vendor (Ben) in Belgium who sells stronger jump click springs. If your movement has one it could be scavenged to add to a new movement. These springs are not "genuine", but they are better than the fragile stock rep part. If you are going to all the trouble of a new movement, you may want to buy one of Ben's springs and have it installed if there isn't one in your old movement. There is a link to Ben in my second link above.

This is an equivalent movement you can get from Ali Express. Note that it has a plate on it whose purpose is to contain the IDW in place. You can see my solution for this issue in my second link above.

https://m.pt.aliexpress.com/item/100...5002465055687&

jiJL12.jpg

jiJe4E.jpg

Note: Using Google Chrome I get to this movement on Ali Express but not when using another browser. So IDK if the listing is gone and my page is just being pulled up from cache. Search on AE for "3285 movement".

You can also try to source one of these movements from a TD. You would need to be very specific about which movement you want. It would cost about the same and take about as long. Delivery from China is slow right now and there's a National holiday there Oct 1-8.

If after talking to your seller you determine that the "genuine spring" is NOT the one from Ben in Belgium, it would be potentially beneficial to order one of them and ask your watchmaker to install it. It's possible that your jump click is broken and that's all it would take to fix your movement.

Good luck

Last edited:
Reactions: P..DR..D

kadeee

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
If you don't have the skills to change parts within the movement I'd advise you to give the watch to Ben to get the part replaced.

armin75

15/9/21
EU
My local watch maker will take care about that (he said he normally doesn't touch such movements :)) He told me it is the right part to order. So happy Ben will send today so probably by end of next week I will have a working GMT back......

Reactions: kadeee

armin75

15/9/21
EU
Thank you all for your support, I got the watch back and everything is working now!!!!

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thank you all for your support, I got the watch back and everything is working now!!!!

Good deal. Go easy with the hour jumping still. And don't change the date backwards to help ensure the jump click longevity. Congrats!