• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Few bezel insert questions

Marshal77

You're Saying I Can Sell?
31/8/21
Hello,

Just couple easy ones, any help would be greaty appreciated!

1.Is there an easy way to remove bezel insert from HR 5517 case? I would like just to replace the insert without prying open that complete bezel setup.

2.Bezel in trusty vintage piece seems to be loose, is it ok to just bend that ring under the bezel to make bezel rotation stiffer? I read that that ring should not be bent ?

ward1991

Luminor-Based
Patron
Certified
24/7/13
Hello,

Just couple easy ones, any help would be greaty appreciated!

1.Is there an easy way to remove bezel insert from HR 5517 case? I would like just to replace the insert without prying open that complete bezel setup.

2.Bezel in trusty vintage piece seems to be loose, is it ok to just bend that ring under the bezel to make bezel rotation stiffer? I read that that ring should not be bent ?
1. To remove inserts easily without damage, gently peel back a section of 3m double sided mounting tape and stick it to as much surface area of the insert as possible. Hold it on the insert tightly for a few seconds to let it really grip. Then gently pull up, it will usually pull it up enough (if glued) to where you can slip something plastic underneath and gently work the rest of the insert free from the bezel.

2. I've bent the friction washer plenty of times but its not always a cure all. Sometimes, like with my cartel bezel assembly for my 1665, I just had to end using the floss method. Which is, with watch assembled, thread some dental floss under the bezel and then wrap it a few times around and inbetween the bezel and case. The floss should go inside the assembly and you bury the last bit of length by turning your bezel.

The only other option when an assembly is loose is to upgrade to a new assembly that will probably be too tight lol, but atleast you can sand until perfect then.

*maybe you can buy some extra friction washers and have like 3 in there, slightly bent, I'm gonna try that tonight actually, hrmm.
5d6e664426f570559fd040c2c07bf3c5.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Alan Bourdillion Traherne

Renowned Member
6/3/21
CONUS
I have used the technique of gently soakingthe bezel in golf club grip tape solvent. Golfers use this solution to loosen and remove/replace worn grip tape on their clubs. I have used "Players Gear Grip Tape Solvent" with success a few times. The technique is to pour a small amount in a glass or other vessel and submerge ONLY the bezel and insert in the liquid. After about at hour or so the insert can be gently pried up and off the bezel. Make sure to clean the now naked bezel well before inserting a new insert. Isopropyl alcohol can be used to clean and degrease the bezel bed. Use 3M or another circular type bezel tape to affix the new bezel. After that you can relube the bezel mechanism as needed.

BE ADVISED: Use this technique at your own risk. There are no warranties for this advice either express or implied. I have done this a few times with success but your mileage may vary.

Marshal77

31/8/21
1. To remove inserts easily without damage, gently peel back a section of 3m double sided mounting tape and stick it to as much surface area of the insert as possible. Hold it on the insert tightly for a few seconds to let it really grip. Then gently pull up, it will usually pull it up enough (if glued) to where you can slip something plastic underneath and gently work the rest of the insert free from the bezel.
Thanks for the info, I will try that.

I Forgot to mention, the insert on that 5517 case should be snap on, so there is not glue.

ward1991

Luminor-Based
Patron
Certified
24/7/13
Thanks for the info, I will try that.

I Forgot to mention, the insert on that 5517 case should be snap on, so there is not glue.

Good, the double sided tape would be even easier then, but also get yourself a really paring knife and take that whole bezel off by wedging it in between the bezel and case. Then you can easily remove the insert with the bezel off.

I like to wrap my bezel knife in tape everytime to make sure i don't scratch the case or bezel.

Marshal77

31/8/21
Good, the double sided tape would be even easier then, but also get yourself a really paring knife and take that whole bezel off by wedging it in between the bezel and case. Then you can easily remove the insert with the bezel off.
But my point was originally that I do not want to disassemble the whole bezel setup. I just want to change the insert.

Also another reason is that I do not have proper press to attach bezel parts back neatly on case, but insert is something I could just press in with fingers.

Also even I have assembled several movements, I am still not confident with that case knife and removing bezel setup. Oh well, one of these days I have to learn how to do that...

btw Ward. how have you managed to have avatar bigger than 80x80 pixels :) ?

Last edited:

ward1991

Luminor-Based
Patron
Certified
24/7/13
But my point was originally that I do not want to disassemble the whole bezel setup. I just want to change the insert.

Also another reason is that I dont have proper press to attach bezel parts back neatly on case.
The bezel presses on by hand.

Some are stiffer than others yes, however most I've ever had press easily back by hand.

Regardless, double sided tape will pull that insert pull it out easily.
I have also gently used a thin needle to pry under an insert, works better for glued inserts though.

Marshal77

31/8/21
The bezel presses on by hand.

Some are stiffer than others yes, however most I've ever had press easily back by hand.

Regardless, double sided tape will pull that insert pull it out easily.
I have also gently used a thin needle to pry under an insert, works better for glued inserts though.
When it comes to HR case and bezel re-assembly,

Do I just stack up retaining ring, tension washer and bezel , cross my fingers and press hard from top? or should I get tension washer inside bezel first?

(When I disassembled whole thing, tension washer and bezel were kind of bunched up together)

Last edited:

ward1991

Luminor-Based
Patron
Certified
24/7/13
When it comes to HR case and bezel re-assembly,

Do I just stack up retaining ring, tension washer and bezel , cross my fingers and press hard from top? or should I get tension washer inside bezel first?

(When I disassembled whole thing, tension washer and bezel were kind of bunched up together)
They usually do come off bunched like that.

But for assembly I always lay it on the retaining ring, then press the bezel on.

Marshal77

31/8/21
If my dial&movement outer diameter is 26mm, and I got ETA2824 movement spacer with inner diameter of 25.9mm and outer 28.55mm, can I use this spacer to secure movement? I can not see way using this spacer since oscilating weight is in the way, theres no space for adapter to sit on ?

They usually do come off bunched like that.

But for assembly I always lay it on the retaining ring, then press the bezel on.
OK, whole bezel assembly is done and finished. Now it also got proper tightness! Crystal is also installed.

For those who want to know :
By extensive research, I found out that what actually adjusts bezel tightness is that tension spring connection height at the retaining ring : if your bezel is loose, you can try pressing visible tension spring inner edge down with a small screwdriver. Do this around the ring one by one. Dont press too hard, otherwise the tension from spring OUTER edge will increase and it will press bezel even harder down against case.

Last edited: