• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

16610 Insert won’t go in !

iang27

4/12/15
UK

I have a 16610 that the insert came out and after dozens of attempts to refit it I just cannot get it to stay in.

I have watched lots of videos and theirs seem to click in and stay there but mine doesn’t have a couple of clicks but drops straight back out.

To me it seems the click spring stops it clicking fully down but it cannot be that as they will all be like this.

Is it just the outer edge of the bezel that holds the insert in or does it attach to something.

Thanks for any advice

iang27

4/12/15
UK
Edit ‘Mine has a couple of clicks but doesn’t stay in’

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Does the entire outer perimeter of the insert get seated past the bezel rim or is a small arc of the insert perimeter not getting past the bezel rim?

Last edited:

iang27

4/12/15
UK
It’s all inside the bezel ring, on top of the teeth.
To me it’s as though it’s not tight enough to stay in.

Parto

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
2/7/18
UK
I had this issue trying to fit an ARF insert into a JF 16610 case. Inserts are sometimes slightly different sizes. Is this an ARF and can you measure the diameter of the insert?

iang27

4/12/15
UK
It is an ARF. It has a Gen Crystal and datewheel, maybe the guy who fitted them loosened the insert. It just will not stay jammed in. I will maybe order a new one and an LV.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
It's also possible to superglue an insert into a 5 digit Rolex bezel. I have 3 WSO aftermarket bezels with inserts permanently glued in place for fast swapping. I did this because it's faster and easier to just swap the whole bezel on these models, and because inserts get damaged from frequent insertions and removals. The paint gets chipped on the edges and the chipping can extend back onto the visible surface flats.

This needs to be done with the bezel off the watch. Seat the insert, then tape it flush with the bezel rim leaving the underside accessible. Use only 4 or 5 pieces of narrow bracelet tape or similar, applied perpendicular to the insert. This minimizes the risk of tape getting glued on if there is glue leakage from the underside.

It requires care not to get glue into the bezel teeth. It can be done slowly, a short arc at a time, using a small wedge object (or two to start with) like a flat toothpick, tiny oiler, etc. Place the wedge between the teeth and the underside of the seated insert to both create a small glue space and ensure a proper, uniform height of the insert relative to the bezel rim. Add glue sequentially along the arc prior to where the wedge is and remove the wedge after the glue quickly dries. Then advance the wedge to a position further along the arc. Use only tiny amounts of glue!

It can be undone by soaking in acetone, which will not harm the insert or the bezel. Also any glue that leaked onto the top of the insert or bezel can be cleaned off this way.

Last edited:

eswilly

I'm Pretty Popular
2/11/14
Florida
It's also possible to superglue an insert into a 5 digit Rolex bezel. I have 3 WSO aftermarket bezels with inserts permanently glued in place for fast swapping. I did this because it's faster and easier to just swap the whole bezel on these models, and because inserts get damaged from frequent insertions and removals. The paint gets chipped on the edges and the chipping can extend back onto the visible surface flats.

This needs to be done with the bezel off the watch. Seat the insert, then tape it flush with the bezel rim leaving the underside accessible. Use only 4 or 5 pieces of narrow bracelet tape or similar, applied perpendicular to the insert. This minimizes the risk of tape getting glued on if there is glue leakage from the underside.

It requires care not to get glue into the bezel teeth. It can be done slowly, a short arc at a time, using a small wedge object (or two to start with) like a flat toothpick, tiny oiler, etc. Place the wedge between the teeth and the underside of the seated insert to both create a small glue space and ensure a proper, uniform height of the insert relative to the bezel rim. Add glue sequentially along the arc prior to where the wedge is and remove the wedge after the glue quickly dries. Then advance the wedge to a position further along the arc. Use only tiny amounts of glue!

It can be undone by soaking in acetone, which will not harm the insert or the bezel. Also any glue that leaked onto the top of the insert or bezel can be cleaned off this way.

Best of the best, right here folks.
E.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: KJ2020

iang27

4/12/15
UK
Cheers for the detailed info. I have some jewellery glue, will put a bit of that on like you advised. I might order another bezel with an LV insert as well.
just need to sort out the magnification now. I’m sure the Crystal must be too high or low as the date seems a little big to me Maybe not ?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Cheers for the detailed info. I have some jewellery glue, will put a bit of that on like you advised. I might order another bezel with an LV insert as well.
just need to sort out the magnification now. I’m sure the Crystal must be too high or low as the date seems a little big to me Maybe not ?

Too large date = too tall gasket (or too thick crystal). Measure your gasket height and try the next lower size. It's also very easy to shave gaskets to a custom height. Just rub it on a piece of sandpaper flat on a bench. Leave it in a crystal for easy handling and rotation to keep it even. 400 grit is good. Don't use black paper as it can stain the gasket.

Reactions: iang27

Cully

Renowned Member
29/5/18
UK
I had the same issue, but persevered as I didn’t want to use glue , on a flat surface and a sheet of kitchen roll , I inserted insert , turned watch upside down , pressed hard whilst turning and pressing in a circular motion, all of a sudden I heard a click , and has been seated for a few months now with no issues.

I hope this is understood and helps .

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I had the same issue, but persevered as I didn’t want to use glue , on a flat surface and a sheet of kitchen roll , I inserted insert , turned watch upside down , pressed hard whilst turning and pressing in a circular motion, all of a sudden I heard a click , and has been seated for a few months now with no issues.

I hope this is understood and helps .

His fits in without clicking in bro. It's too loose and won't stay in the bezel.

jkrw247

I'm Pretty Popular
9/1/21
iang27 You need to use a pair of NYLON PLIERS to press the insert back in.

You can get one from here - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002207886575.html

I have the exact same ARF 16610 and I faced the exact same problem as you.
Without the proper tool, you can try all you want till your fingers hurt and blister yet you will only end up damaging the insert and probably the bezel ring.

I learnt it the hard way and now I am hunting for a bezel ring for my 16610.

BTW the stock ARF inserts are of very very low quality and you actually need to get new ones. Make sure that the insert has OD=37.7mm ID=30.6mm
Refer here - www.watchgeek.com/bezels.htm

To add on, the more you remove and replace the stock ARF insert, you will actually cause it to bend and warp. That will contribute to it becoming loose and being unable to be pressure-fitted anymore.

Last edited:

iang27

4/12/15
UK
iang27 You need to use a pair of NYLON PLIERS to press the insert back in.

You can get one from here - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002207886575.html

I have the exact same ARF 16610 and I faced the exact same problem as you.
Without the proper tool, you can try all you want till your fingers hurt and blister yet you will only end up damaging the insert and probably the bezel ring.

I learnt it the hard way and now I am hunting for a bezel ring for my 16610.

BTW the stock ARF inserts are of very very low quality and you actually need to get new ones. Make sure that the insert has OD=37.7mm ID=30.6mm
Refer here - www.watchgeek.com/bezels.htm

To add on, the more you remove and replace the stock ARF insert, you will actually cause it to bend and warp. That will contribute to it becoming loose and being unable to be pressure-fitted anymore.

The saga continues !
The original does seem a touch too small so won’t stay in unless glued.
I got sent a used LV insert but when attempting to get it in with sore fingers as you mentioned it snapped where the pearl goes in which must be a weak point with the hole.
even snapped it doesn’t go in, it just overlaps slightly at the snapped point.

I have ordered one off eBay which hasn’t arrived yet but I’m not confident it will go in easily as they seem too big.
looking at YouTube videos they make it look as though a couple of thumb presses has it snapping in, doesn’t seem that way to me !

jkrw247

I'm Pretty Popular
9/1/21
iang27 Sometimes, the insert that you put in may have been made with an inferior alloy. This causes it to not have enough strength to stand up to the pressure fit and thereby cease to fit after a while.

I had some inserts that pressure-fitted in perfectly initially, but later fell off by themselves and could not be pressed back (I always use my nylon pliers to press them in).

I agree with the YouTube videos. They make it look so easy. But in reality you are not likely to succeed without a pair of nylon pliers. You will run a high risk of damaging the insert by bending or warping it if you use non-standard means like fingers or walls or table edges to press it in.

iang27

4/12/15
UK
Cheers for the advice. Ordered some pliers off Amazon for £6. Do you just get as much as you can in then work around with the pliers until the rest goes in.
You think it has gone in but it’s just popped out somewhere else.

mirko.897

You're Saying I Can Sell?
16/2/19
Cheers for the advice. Ordered some pliers off Amazon for £6. Do you just get as much as you can in then work around with the pliers until the rest goes in.
You think it has gone in but it’s just popped out somewhere else.

so, is the bezel to be too small for the insert or the insert too small for the bezel?? I'm asking cause I've in mind to get an ARF 16610LV and put on a gen B3 lime insert

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
I’m not going to add any more suggestions for solving this problem, as there are already plenty of suggestions. I’m just chipping in to announce myself confused by the idea that nylon headed pliers are less likely to bend or damage an insert than using your fingertips.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: XpanzerX