• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Faulty Asian 3135

Yacht-Monster

The entertainer previously known as Roughwatch
Supporter
Certified
7/6/21
The Eternal Winter
Hi eveeryone,

I bought a GMF YM 116622 from a TD here running a A3135 movement and it arrived in working order. First I wound it to make sure it ticked overnight. That was fine so I went to set the time but the hands move for only a hort distance then stop. The date change function doesn't work either, although the watch winds and will keep its power reserve (date will tick over when running just not manually).

The TD was great and is okay with me sending it back for repair, but he said this will take a long time due to raids and the backlog of work. We're currently in lockdown so my normal watch repair shop won't be open for at least another month. My question is, does this sound like a very costly fix? I'm happy to save the TD the problem of receiving it, not to mention the time it will take to get it back if it only costs me a small amount to repair it at the local shop.

Bit of an ambiguous question, but the movement still works, just the manual setting is faulty. Does this suggest anything to the experienced repair guys here?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

stockwatch

18/10/15
Hey

It shouldn’t cost much. Maybe $50-90 depending on watch maker charge and if they willing to fix replica watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Yacht-Monster

Yacht-Monster

Supporter
Certified
7/6/21
The Eternal Winter
Thanks for that. There's a guy here who has looked at lower end reps for me. I'm more worried that it might require a clone 3135 movement part that would be expensive to source.

Thinking of asking the TD if he doesnt mind waiting till shops open before I make a decision on sending it back.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thanks for that. There's a guy here who has looked at lower end reps for me. I'm more worried that it might require a clone 3135 movement part that would be expensive to source.

Thinking of asking the TD if he doesnt mind waiting till shops open before I make a decision on sending it back.

I wouldn't send a watch back to China bro. It's three more shipping delays, each with customs risks and then waiting time to and from the TD and the factory. I mean some people do it, it might make more sense if you live closer to China like in Singapore or HK of even Australia or NZ. But it could take many months before you see your watch again.

Also, doing that will get you a repaired or replaced GMF movement, which is not the best rep movement around. Another option for you (one that I always choose) is just replace the movement with the far better VR3135 and just eat the cost, or ask the TD for a discount credit on your next purchase. You'll be better off in the long run and back in business sooner with fewer risks.

Yacht-Monster

Supporter
Certified
7/6/21
The Eternal Winter
I wouldn't send a watch back to China bro. It's three more shipping delays, each with customs risks and then waiting time to and from the TD and the factory. I mean some people do it, it might make more sense if you live closer to China like in Singapore or HK of even Australia or NZ. But it could take many months before you see your watch again.

Also, doing that will get you a repaired or replaced GMF movement, which is not the best rep movement around. Another option for you (one that I always choose) is just replace the movement with the far better VR3135 and just eat the cost, or ask the TD for a discount credit on your next purchase. You'll be better off in the long run and back in business sooner with fewer risks.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm in Australia so it's not much of an issue safety wise, but the time will likely be months off. We should open up here soon and shops will be back open. I'm starting to think that sending it back might not be the best option.

Thanks again.

kadeee

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
Are you sure that the GMF YM keeps an A3135 movement? The A3135 movements are typically decorated AETA 2824-2 or AETA 2836 movements that look similar to an 3135 clone movement.
Also I don't have taken notice that GMF had 116622 YMs with a real 3135 clone movements. If that's the case it's not possible (without major mods on the case) to replace an A3135 with a VR 3135 because they are different constructions. And the most important thing is, that the stem height is different between the AETA and the RLX clone movements.

Anyway, I'd also go the way to get it repaired from a local watchmaker, even if it takes some more weeks to get it fixed.

Yacht-Monster

Supporter
Certified
7/6/21
The Eternal Winter
Are you sure that the GMF YM keeps an A3135 movement? The A3135 movements are typically decorated AETA 2824-2 or AETA 2836 movements that look similar to an 3135 clone movement.
Also I don't have taken notice that GMF had 116622 YMs with a real 3135 clone movements. If that's the case it's not possible (without major mods on the case) to replace an A3135 with a VR 3135 because they are different constructions. And the most important thing is, that the stem height is different between the AETA and the RLX clone movements.

Anyway, I'd also go the way to get it repaired from a local watchmaker, even if it takes some more weeks to get it fixed.

Thanks, this is good to know. I think I'll get it checked when shops open, and only send it back if there's a real issue with it.

Thanks again.

kadeee

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
I'd ask the TD for a partial refund anyway. I've read several times that TDs give you a refund of some 10 $ which is better than nothing. Or they have a local watchsmith in Australia who can do the repair work. Sending it back to China is risky and expensive anyway. Nobody knows when you'll get back the watch, if ever.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I have never kept an SA3135 in a rep that came with one, they are not good movements. Don't break the stem, it's proprietary and not replaceable except from a TD and usually they won't. Or get one from another dead movement, there are plenty of those around.

3135 movement comparison Gen-SA-SH-VR

My last SA3135 arrived with gritty winding and setting, couldn't find position 2 to change the date. When I went to remove the movement a case screw broke leaving the threads in the hole. The date doesn't change for several days, then it changes 3-4 days at once, sometimes ending up in between dates. I can't adjust it manually. It's in the parts bin now, replaced by a VR3135.

Last edited:

kadeee

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
The GMF 116622s use an SA3135. It is not a decorated ETA and the case will take a VR3135 1:1

O.k., only GMF YMs I found are:

Yacht-Master 116622 GMF 904L Steel 1:1 Best Edition Gray Dial Blue Hand on Bracelet A2824 (puretimewatch.io)

Yacht-Master 116622 904L SS GMF 1:1 Best Edition Blue Dial on 904L SS Bracelet A2836 - InTimeWatch (intime06.co)

But regarding your link that's clearly a SA3135 that is in the watch.
It can be identified by the balance bridge bar construction.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
O.k., only GMF YMs I found are:

Yacht-Master 116622 GMF 904L Steel 1:1 Best Edition Gray Dial Blue Hand on Bracelet A2824 (puretimewatch.io)

Yacht-Master 116622 904L SS GMF 1:1 Best Edition Blue Dial on 904L SS Bracelet A2836 - InTimeWatch (intime06.co)

But regarding your link that's clearly a SA3135 that is in the watch.
It can be identified by the balance bridge bar construction.

Yeah I forgot about those bro. OP said he had the A3135. I wonder if GMF still offers the ETA versions, it seems they are moving away from them on a lot of models. PT is bad about updating its listings, they still list all Noob and VSF reps. Ryan isn't always on top of it either.

Noob made some great ETA clone Yachti's so the ETAs are usually good choices. This Noob 2824 is over three years old and it's never had the caseback off.

15396140576610.jpg

Last edited:

Yacht-Monster

Supporter
Certified
7/6/21
The Eternal Winter
Yeah I forgot about those bro. OP said he had the A3135. I wonder if GMF still offers the ETA versions, it seems they are moving away from them on a lot of models. PT is bad about updating its listings, they still list all Noob and VSF reps. Ryan isn't always on top of it either.

Noob made some great ETA clone Yachti's so the ETAs are usually good choices. This Noob 2824 is over three years old and it's never had the caseback off.

15396140576610.jpg

That's a damn fine YM right there. I actually wanted that one but just missed out. If you were ever considering selling it, please PM me. I've got some great reps, but my hunt for a rhodium YM continues.

Thanks to all for your input. Cheers.

Reactions: KJ2020

Yacht-Monster

Supporter
Certified
7/6/21
The Eternal Winter

15396140576610.jpg

My apologies, the TD I used had it listed as Asian 3135, but it is an SA3135.

I don't think GMF does it with the ETA movement, but ARF do. Once they're back I think I'll try one of those. Tempted to avoid the Rolex clone movements and just go with ETAs from now on.