• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

DateJust GMF requires repair (UK)

Hypes

You're Saying I Can Sell?
16/5/16
Hi all,

I'm after a repair for my DateJust GMF. A couple of weeks back it became 'clunky' and twisting the crown was 'rough'. I was unable to change the date or time properly (it only moves sometimes). This week the movement stopped altogether. I'm still able to change the date / time but it doesn't always respond.

Took it to a few local watchsmiths who kindly opened the watch up to take a look. Unfortunately they cannot see what's wrong but one assumed it is a piece inside that is broken. They aren't willing to repair.

Can anyone put me in the direction of any UK based repairers who are willing to take a look?

​​​​​​​Many thanks!

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
It might be easier - and cheaper (or a similar cost) - to replace the movement, assuming it's an Asian ETA clone or 2813 (if it's the latter, then it'll definitely be better to simply replace it). If you know what movement is in it, order one from eBay and then get your watchsmith to swap it over.

Saying that, some "local watchsmiths" these days are trained to change the battery in a quartz watch - and that's it. I'd suspect that a watchsmith who expects to be able to take off a caseback and "see what's wrong" without any further investigation may well fall into this category.

So if you have suspicions your local one isn't too clever, then ask Ado213 or one of the other UK forum watch guys.

Reactions: Hypes and KJ2020

Hypes

16/5/16
It might be easier - and cheaper (or a similar cost) - to replace the movement, assuming it's an Asian ETA clone or 2813 (if it's the latter, then it'll definitely be better to simply replace it). If you know what movement is in it, order one from eBay and then get your watchsmith to swap it over.

Saying that, some "local watchsmiths" these days are trained to change the battery in a quartz watch - and that's it. I'd suspect that a watchsmith who expects to be able to take off a caseback and "see what's wrong" without any further investigation may well fall into this category.

So if you have suspicions your local one isn't too clever, then ask Ado213 or one of the other UK forum watch guys.

Hi mate, greatly appreciate your reply on this one.

These watchsmiths I visited seem to be pretty advanced in what they do (the guy blagged about working on real pieces), but it seems like whenever you mention reps to these guys they back off completely.

I'm inclined to explore the new movement option. Only thing is I wouldn't have a clue how to identify which one it is. I could share some pictures of the inside if that helps...?

Also shot Ado213 a message!

Thanks again.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
it seems like whenever you mention reps to these guys they back off completely.
Ah yes, that is the other problem you'll encounter. Understandably there are going to be watchsmiths who are suspicious of how much trouble a rep is going to be, or just object in principle.

Only thing is I wouldn't have a clue how to identify which one it is. I could share some pictures of the inside if that helps...?
That'll be the ideal solution to identifying the movement.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Hi mate, greatly appreciate your reply on this one.

These watchsmiths I visited seem to be pretty advanced in what they do (the guy blagged about working on real pieces), but it seems like whenever you mention reps to these guys they back off completely.

I'm inclined to explore the new movement option. Only thing is I wouldn't have a clue how to identify which one it is. I could share some pictures of the inside if that helps...?

Also shot Ado213 a message!

Thanks again.

Take the back off and post a pic here

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Here are the pictures guys - hope this helps!

https://imgur.com/a/xAnkcxQ

Thank you again.

That's an SA3235, which is an "updated" SA3135. The SA3135 is widely recognized as the least desirable 3135 rep movement, and the SA3235 has not proved any better. Your own experience with it adds to its dismal track record.

Personally I would not spend any money on it trying to get it fixed. I would replace it with the much better VR3135 or VR3235.

GMF has done some weird things with these DJ's like using a 2824 dial with the SA3235 movement. If you didn't know, the gen-spec 3235 DJ dials don't have feet, but rather there are rim protrusions on the dial underside that grip the movement edges.

IDK if GMF is still using the 2824 dials (with feet going into the movement holder) but if this were mine I would find out what kind of dial I have before choosing a replacement movement. Unless you just want to try to source another SA3235.

The thread below has some more discussion on this that you might find useful.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...j41-frankening

If you do have a gen-spec 3235 dial with no feet, it would be a 1:1 swap onto a VR3235. But be careful as there are two versions of that movement. Each is suited only to a specific model - the smaller diameter DW 126610, and the larger diameter DW 126334.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...lue-hairspring

Last edited:

Hypes

16/5/16
That's an SA3235, which is an "updated" SA3135. The SA3135 is widely recognized as the least desirable 3135 rep movement, and the SA3235 has not proved any better. Your own experience with it adds to its dismal track record.

Personally I would not spend any money on it trying to get it fixed. I would replace it with the much better VR3135 or VR3235.

GMF has done some weird things with these DJ's like using a 2824 dial with the SA3235 movement. If you didn't know, the gen-spec 3235 DJ dials don't have feet, but rather there are rim protrusions on the dial underside that grip the movement edges.

IDK if GMF is still using the 2824 dials (with feet going into the movement holder) but if this were mine I would find out what kind of dial I have before choosing a replacement movement. Unless you just want to try to source another SA3235.

If you do have a gen-spec 3235 dial with no feet, it would be a 1:1 swap onto a VR3235. But be careful as there are two versions of that movement. Each is suited only to a specific model - the smaller diameter DW 126610, and the larger diameter DW 126334.

Hi mate, your post is seriously helpful - thanks so much!

I'm more inclined to go with your judgment and opt for a VR3135 or VR3235 movement. I feel if I get another SA3135 or SA3235 I'm just going to have the same problem in a years time (I've only had this watch since January, so that's given me a rough estimate of how long these movements last...!)

I've already seen a couple VR3235s for sale floating about which is hopeful. Obviously need to find out if this is compatible first.

I'm going to attempt to pop the movement out and see what kind of dial I'm working with. My first time doing this so will probably have to watch a couple YouTube videos...

I'll let you know how I get on!

Reactions: KJ2020

Hypes

16/5/16

So I've opened up the watch and removed the dial. It would appear to have those 'feet' that you mention:

https://imgur.com/a/zggpg0y

Hope those pictures help somewhat. I'm assuming that this rules out the VR3235 option?

I'm now tempted to dive into the movement and see what the problem is seeing as I have got this far...!

Thanks.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
So I've opened up the watch and removed the dial. It would appear to have those 'feet' that you mention:
https://imgur.com/a/zggpg0y
Hope those pictures help somewhat. I'm assuming that this rules out the VR3235 option?

I'm now tempted to dive into the movement and see what the problem is seeing as I have got this far...!
Thanks.

Well, that movement has some proprietary parts for being a "3235".
jWtnU4.jpg
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

The date finger (red) and date jumper (green) are 3135 parts. The date corrector (blue) is a modded 2824 part. The date disc has teeth in the 3135 positions (mid-number) but is oversized from a gen-spec 3135 date disc so the numbers can fit in the DJ41 date window. It's possible that's a gen-spec 3136 DW, I've never had one of those in hand. That's what the 116x DJ's used.

Compare your movement to the two VS3235 (Sub41 and DJ41) gen-spec movements. The only difference between these two are the date indicator seating and the date disc. All of the calendar parts are gen-spec.

VS movement pics credit oascom
jWQr4b.jpg

jWQtgp.jpg

So these movements are no longer available but what has arrived in their place are the two VR3235s.
These are different in that they use some 3135 calendar parts (date finger, jumper and corrector) but they use 3235 date seating and date disc (teeth at the bottom of the number).

jWlqss.jpg

jWlon3.jpg

These new movements are set up with date seating plate perimeter protrusions to accommodate gen-spec dials. But interestingly, they also have dial foot holes at about 7 and 35 minutes.

So I think you could relocate your 2824 dial feet to those positions and use those feet holes.

That is the option I would pursue if you can't bandage up your movement.

LMK if you want a link on how to relocate dial feet.

Last edited:

McPwn

21/9/20
jWtnU4.jpg

The date finger (red) and date jumper (green) are 3135 parts. The date corrector (blue) is a modded 2824 part. The date disc has teeth in the 3135 positions (mid-number) but is oversized from a gen-spec 3135 date disc so the numbers can fit in the DJ41 date window. It's possible that's a gen-spec 3136 DW, I've never had one of those in hand. That's what the 116x DJ's used.

Compare your movement to the two VS3235 (Sub41 and DJ41) gen-spec movements. The only difference between these two are the date indicator seating and the date disc. All of the calendar parts are gen-spec.

jWQr4b.jpg

jWQtgp.jpg

So these movements are no longer available but what has arrived in their place are the two VR3235s.
These are different in that they use some 3135 calendar parts (date finger, jumper and corrector) but they use 3235 date seating and date disc (teeth at the bottom of the number).

jWlqss.jpg

jWlon3.jpg

These new movements are set up with date seating plate perimeter protrusions to accommodate gen-spec dials. But interestingly, they also have dial foot holes at about 7 and 35 minutes.

So I think you could relocate your 2824 dial feet to those positions and use those feet holes.

Have a DJ41 VR3235 en route, but looks like my gen 3136 DW wont align properly due to the teeth being in the wrong position...Wonder if it will take a gen 3235 DW, even though the gen teeth are more pointy.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Have a DJ41 VR3235 en route, but looks like my gen 3136 DW wont align properly due to the teeth being in the wrong position...Wonder if it will take a gen 3235 DW, even though the gen teeth are more pointy.

That's the big question for sure bro. I've done some pretty tight tolerance cut and paste meshing of datewheels but combining a gen 3136 disc with a rep 3235 wheel would be a challenge. I think it could be done - the gen 3136 numbers could be trimmed away from the tooth wheel to be just a skinny number ring. Then it could be glued onto a thinned 3235 rep DW (with round teeth), where the base DW still retains its outer silver perimeter to fit under the retention posts.

It would look very much like this mod

https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/rolex-tudor-replicas/10126223-gen-spec-dw-as-a-dwo

jLq4Ib.jpg

jLqduX.jpg

jLqXnc.jpg

jLqT2I.jpg

jLIPik.jpg

Hypes

16/5/16
jWtnU4.jpg

jWQr4b.jpg

jWQtgp.jpg

jWlqss.jpg

jWlon3.jpg

Appreciate your insight for this one mate!

Not sure why I didn't mention this previously :facepalm: but this is a 36mm DJ. Not sure if that alters anything...

Seeing as I have a 2824 dial I'm assuming it's possible I could get hold of a 2824 movement to replace? Not as good obviously, but at least it's a bit cheaper and easier to add.

In all honesty I'm tempted to sell this on and replace with another rep with A2824 movement.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Appreciate your insight for this one mate!
Not sure why I didn't mention this previously :facepalm: but this is a 36mm DJ. Not sure if that alters anything...
Seeing as I have a 2824 dial I'm assuming it's possible I could get hold of a 2824 movement to replace? Not as good obviously, but at least it's a bit cheaper and easier to add.
In all honesty I'm tempted to sell this on and replace with another rep with A2824 movement.

A 2824 movement should fit in the case OK but you would need a new set of hands and a DWO. A replacement 2824 will come with a stock DW that has ETA fonts in the ETA date window position.

This
jWcTc3.jpg

Instead of this
jWcdis.jpg