• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Cook Your Inserts

ward1991

Luminor-Based
Patron
Certified
24/7/13
There have been a few threads on this, just want to add that I can confirm its cool so you can save your bleach for your A#$holes.

I've seen some say that using a coating of olive oil on the insert and baking them in the oven on a pan provides slightly different results.

I just put mine in the bottom of a sauce pan, numbers up, on high until i like the color, then submerge in water to stop the cookin'.

I chose the worst one to show off first because its very hard to photograph the difference, which is indeed subtle, however it made the digits on the insert ever so slightly "toasted" with a slight brown "tropic" look. I haven't taken one any longer to see what happens. I will experiment with that later.

I did a blueberry and a pepsi too, will post later.

One thing it easily does is MATTE-ify the finish nicely to get rid of the gross gloss.

Sidenote* whether this process makes them gen-like who knows or cares. But to each his own. Im sick of busting out the drano and working with that nasty crap.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hor-Fan

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
This was a black and silver insert like yours, cooked further to a delicious brown

j3UNXi.jpg

ward1991

Luminor-Based
Patron
Certified
24/7/13
This was a black and silver insert like yours, cooked further to a delicious brown

j3UNXi.jpg
YES, love that.

Thats the other great thing about flambeing them, there isn't as much guess work. You can clearly see its shade at all times as it changes. Very accurate in terms of getting it where you want it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: KJ2020

Oascom

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
19/1/16
WWW.WATCHMAKERUSA.COM
Here are results:

Both same inserts. One cooked.

Cooking made the insert so filmsy it bends without any effort. Might be problematic with pressure fitting it.

Also made the paint tiny cracks that are visible under certain angles.

But faded colors really nice.

ward1991

Luminor-Based
Patron
Certified
24/7/13
Here are results:

Both same inserts. One cooked.

Cooking made the insert so filmsy it bends without any effort. Might be problematic with pressure fitting it.

Also made the paint tiny cracks that are visible under certain angles.

But faded colors really nice.

Nice! Looks good.

And yes I should have mentioned that cheaper inserts WILL get a little flimsy. I ruined one the first time. If you handle it carefully and don't apply too much pressure to any given side when fitting it should be okay.

The WSO fat font inserts for 1675 are nice and thick and i did not experience this with those ones..