• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Help with ZF Black Bay GMT. Attempt myself or send for help?

newest dude on the forum

Some Guy
Supporter
Certified
17/8/20
The EnGrave Yard
Hi all, I have my first issue with a rep watch. I have a very reliable watchmaker that I take all of my gen watches too. He's a great guy, but I'm hesitant to bring him a rep as he works at an AD for several makers. Yesterday I dropped my ZF Black Bay GMT. I didn't notice it at the time, but today it seems like the hands are loose. If I give it a shake the hour hand jumps around the track. I imagine that the hands just need to be reset. Is it possible I could have a bigger issue than that? I'm a fairly handy guy, if it is just the hands, should I attempt it myself with a hand pusher? If not, can someone recommend a rep-friendly watchmaker that I could send it to for repair? Thanks so much for reading and for any advice you may be able to give.

Davne25

Supporter // Watchaddict
23/3/17
Germany
Hey mate, if you think you will be able to unscrew the caseback, take out the crown, take out the movement, take off the hands and readjust the movement to 12o clock to set the hands back on and do the other steps backwards while ensuring that no dust gets into the case, you should be able to do this. But you need some skills and tools to do this, your choice pretty much… if the movement has an internal error tho, it wont help to fasten the hands…

Gesendet von iPhone mit RWI

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
I imagine that the hands just need to be reset. Is it possible I could have a bigger issue than that? I'm a fairly handy guy, if it is just the hands, should I attempt it myself with a hand pusher? If not, can someone recommend a rep-friendly watchmaker that I could send it to for repair?
If I were you, I'd ask the guy you know if he'd be okay with working on the BB, and if so, give it to him to check. If he won't touch it, then you'll need to reveal your location so someone can recommend a forum watchsmith in your part of the world.

Setting hands is a fiddly job. I had to do it several times on a bunch of inexpensive reps before it started to get a bit easier - and I wrecked a couple of 2813 seconds hand pinions along the way (not such an issue with your movement, as it doesn't have the same sticky-out hair-thin pinion as some 2813 movements have). As described above, the process requires the right tools (all of which are cheap for this job, so that's a good thing), a steady hand and patience. You also need to be ultra-careful with the hands and dial to avoid damaging or marking them - which is that much harder if it's your first time working on a watch. And of course you still won't know whether there's a bigger problem until you've gone through the whole stressful process of an attempted DIY fix.

Last edited:

newest dude on the forum

Some Guy
Supporter
Certified
17/8/20
The EnGrave Yard
If I were you, I'd ask the guy you know if he'd be okay with working on the BB, and if so, give it to him to check. If he won't touch it, then you'll need to reveal your location so someone can recommend a forum watchsmith in your part of the world.

Setting hands is a fiddly job. I had to do it several times on a bunch of inexpensive reps before it started to get a bit easier - and I wrecked a couple of 2813 seconds hand pinions along the way (not such an issue with your movement, as it doesn't have the same sticky-out hair-thin pinion as some 2813 movements have). As described above, the process requires the right tools (all of which are cheap for this job, so that's a good thing), a steady hand and patience. You also need to be ultra-careful with the hands and dial to avoid damaging or marking them - which is that much harder if it's your first time working on a watch. And of course you still won't know whether there's a bigger problem until you've gone through the whole stressful process of an attempted DIY fix.

Yeah good call. I'm in the USA. Rustbelt area.