• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Dial Scratch Removal on a sunburst dial?

McPwn

21/9/20
Has anyone attempted to remove fine/hairline scratches on a modern Datejust dial? I accidentally made a small mark on mine while trying to get a stain out ironically, which can only be seen up close. It seems like these dials (datejust 41 silver dial) have a top layer of clearcoat, wondering if theres an easy way to buff these out? Do those Auto polishes work?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
I've gotten a lot of different marks off dials but never a scratch. Maybe sacrifice your rep dial to testing some products?

McPwn

21/9/20

The scratch is very small, but if its lacquer coated, I'd think you should be able to apply some gloss clear lacquer over it and buff it down. The rep dial is probably made a different way so hard to say if the same process would work on both. The Gen has a thicker coat on it, whereas the rep seems like a piece of plastic.

NCRich

Raddave's favorite
Supporter
Certified
24/3/11
Its harder to do on a dial with indices because you have to take them off. You won't buff that out. I have removed scratches on vintage type dials but you can sand and recoat those easily. That's such a small scratch..........

Last edited:
Reactions: KJ2020

Joyousdooby

Known Member
Certified
27/5/21
Its harder to do on a dial with indices because you have to take them off. You won't buff that out. I have removed scratches on vintage type dials but you can sand and recoat those easily. That's such a small scratch..........

Hey sir! Sent you a PM about a custom vintage GMT master, just making sure you see it!