• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Best way to store your M9015 watch?

wolvienl

Horology Curious
23/8/20
Netherlands
Just a quick question. I have a watch winder which rotates the watch, helpful to keep it on time when I don't wear it on some days.

But I'm looking to expend my starting collection. What's the best way to store more watches and keep the movement 100% ?
1) by keeping them moving in a watch winder
2) store them static in a watch box.

Thank you for your opinions :)

ra1n

Known Member
29/7/20
I have researched this in many places (Forums/Youtube/Dealers) but the answer has always been with a mixed answer, I mean I have both automatic and manual winding watches, some would suggest to have them inside a Watch Winder, and some would suggest to store them, let them unwind and wind when used, it was 50/50 in most cases of opinions.

I personally have a watch winder, and I keep all mine in the winder, and this has been my way for me for a couple of years and never had an issue with my watches.

This is really a personal preference, both methods have there advantage and disadvantage, invest into watch winder, or not, is not cheap, but also for me, I do love looking at my watch rotating.

I hope this helps you a bit.

Reactions: wolvienl

chenakos

Known Member
17/8/16
I am lately doing some research on this subject and the conclusion is that watches are made to be worn on our wrists, with normal wear being part of this game. Some of us even wear them during the sleep. So this means the watch is getting wound almost every minute in the day.

A watch winder on the other hand will usually stop for at least 5mins before running its cycle again. This gives the watch the chance to rest and then get rewound soon again. To me a watch sitting in the watch winder gets more rest periods than one worn on a wrist most of the day or even all day.

Also, the watch winder should not be expected to fully wind the watch, but keep its spring in the same state where it was left when it was put in the winder. This makes sense when the general directions before putting a watch in the winder dictate that you manually wind the watch to at least half of its full wind state before putting it in the winder. The winder will then do its cycles to keep the watch at that same state.

Overall though there is not a clear answer out there.

For all the above logical thoughts and facts, I tend to believe it's good for automatic watches to be stored in a winder and not in boxes for long times