• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Another 16622 Yachtmaster build ...

kadeee

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
I would like to introduce another long-term project to you. My 16622 Franken.

The 16622 Yachtmaster Rolesium, also known as the Scratch Magnet, is in my opinion one of the most underestimated Sporties from Rolex. Despite the high quality materials (dial and bezel insert are made of 950 Pt) it is relatively cheap to get. In the Full Set it is available for less than 7000 €, so it is cheaper than a used Submariner.

With the following key data it is certainly no ugly duckling:
  • Case and band are made of 904 stainless steel, the central parts of the band are polished to a high gloss
  • The bezel inlay is made of 950 Pt, hence the name Rolesium
  • Earlier models silver colored dials are also made of 950 Pt
  • The bezel can be rotated in both directions, the water resistance is indicated as 100 m
  • For the 5-digit reference a cal. 3135 was installed as the movement
  • That is also valid for 6-digit references starting with 116xxx
But this is only a side note. I got addicted to the idea of a stunning 16622 on RWI, whereupon I decided to have a 16622 built in the best possible quality. My watch should also have a Clone 3135 Movement while the other has a 2824 movement. I always want to be as close to the real stuff as possible. Sourcing of the parts began ...
I expected that some parts (bezel, dial, case) would not be as easy to get as the same parts for a Submariner. And also because of the bezel construction I was prepared to pay higher prices. When I saw a dial with a set of hands for a long time at Michael Klan (TswissT) for a price I thought was acceptable, I started looking for a high quality case. Here I was able to buy a so-called Sean-Case, which together with the YM case from TC is considered the best YM case, on RWI. I am well aware that the price called (590 USD) was expensive, after all, the high-quality tape halves of a TC YM were still there. I was disappointed by the condition of the bezel insert. glued in, no sharp contours of the indices and also the color was not nice. Something should still happen here. I could extend the band with new gene links, I bought the links on e-bay. A user on RWI had a Gen clasp for me, so I could hand in the watch for assembly. A time-matching Gen Crystal was 0.2 mm too large in diameter, but the built-in glass was more than acceptable. A completely revised, new VR3135 was used as movement. No parts were exchanged for Gen parts.

The watch was already acceptable, but then my hour struck when I saw a used Gen bezel for a 16622 on e-Bay. The condition was only satisfactory, but I knew that TomRep could breathe new life into most YM bezels. So I struck here and the low price made up for the high price of the case. Tom also managed it to fit both links as strong and precise as Gens are. He drilled new holes into the lugs to make this happen.

Since yesterday I have it here and - what can I say - I enjoy a very good high-end replica. From the outside there should be no difference to the Gen and also on the scale there should be no significant difference to the Gen, because my replica also contains the high quality, expensive and also heavy Gen parts from 950 Pt.

ZHWN2s.jpg

ZHWuWE.jpg

ZHWMJ2.jpg

ZHWvln.jpg

ZHW7F3.jpg

Cost breakdown:
  • Sean Case / TC tape halves : 590 $
  • dial / hands: 650 €
  • additional band links: 195 €
  • Clasp: 350 €
  • VR 3135 Movement: 175 €
  • Assembly watch / revision movement: 195 €
  • Gene bezel: $950
  • Re-finishing: 350 €
Total costs: approx. 3315 €

Last edited:

Prinze20

Known Member
Patron
Certified
22/6/22
Belgium
What a great build!
I once sold a brand new complete genuine case for peanuts🫣

Prinze20

Known Member
Patron
Certified
22/6/22
Belgium
Probably one of first cases because he was the Engineer.

Last edited: