• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New 5-digit YM (16622) build. Franken Watch with Sean, TC, VRF, partly Gen parts

kadeee

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
Hello,

I would like to introduce you to my latest project, a Franken Yachtmaster 16622.

I got the idea to build a Yachtmaster from a build I've seen from Essray here. The dealer TswissT had over a longer period of time also a suitable dial with a set of hands on offer, so that I became weak with this offer here. The case from Curt941 came in a really nice condition, also the matching TC half-left were perfect for the case. With the dial with hands by Michael Klan (TswissT), a very good basis for a nice Yachtmaster build was created. The meanwhile banned user jiokercrazy sold me a Gen clasp, matching Gen Links - I have a large wrist circumference - I found at an acceptable price on e-Bay and when I finally got a decent movement I sent the parts together with a Gen Crystal to the watchmaker http://mein-uhrmacher.com to get the parts assembled.
Gerald is very busy at the moment, so the assembly took quite a long time, but today I got the watch back.
Unfortunately the Gen crystal was a little bit too big, so Gerald couldn't install it, but he was very impressed by the VRF movement and documented the work in a video. Like all clone movements, the VRF, which I could buy from @Asmodeus, had some problems with the processing. However, according to Gerald's statement, these problems were not of a constructive nature but are probably due to the working environment in which the clone works are assembled. In my case, Gerald found black ink in one of the bearings (see the pics), some bearings were missing oil and there was some dirt in the factory.
Also, the normal movement retaining screws did not fit the combination of Sean case and VRF Clone movement, so Gerald had to improvise.

The result you can see here. I'm not a fan of ultrapolished cases, the 16622 is already over 10 years old, but I like to wear the watches with some swirls and the usual, smaller quirks. Gerald has also tested the watch for water resistance, the watch has been successfully tested for 10 ATM water resistance, but this is also the maximum his water resistance meter can test. I will now wear the watch for a few days and observe the accuracy.

Reactions: Essray

ssouthall6

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/10/13
Lovely. I also have a Sean 16622 with gen dial, hands, crystal, crown, dw, tube, stem, bezel, insert and vr3135. One watch I will never part with!

Great build, bravo.

ebb0c28e2fd90b4b1f20708a609f69ed.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: kadeee

kadeee

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
If I can catch a Gen Bezel / Insert I could think about to swap the VRF movement with a Gen cal 3135 movement.

kadeee

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
And never thought that a dial could be so heavy. This is because the dial is Pt 950. And that might also be the reason that the Bezel / Insert is so heavy too.

Essray

Renowned Member
22/5/16
Wisconsin USA
And never thought that a dial could be so heavy. This is because the dial is Pt 950. And that might also be the reason that the Bezel / Insert is so heavy too.

The platinum bezel does add some mass to it. That is for sure. Attempted to sell her a month or two back. Low ball offers pointed me towards keeping it. It’s on my wrist weathering the C19 storm.
4b8203cd0989489bb42888ca635c1d16.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kadeee

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
Lucky guy. I will soon put some more mass on my 16622 too. Guess you know what I'd like to say :)

Nikz19

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/4/18
Italy
Michael is a true gentlemen and I often buy parts from him.

Great build pal!

kadeee

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
Thanks. But unfortunately none of the parts I used here is from Michael :)

Aphung2

Supporter
Certified
6/4/20
CA, US
By far my favorite iteration of the YM. Thanks for this write up - your build looks like a wonderful example. Enjoy!