• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

VRF vs. Gen 116710LN GMT - quick review

stufuse

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/10/17
UK
Ok, don’t think it’s the case back.
Measured without touching case back and it’s still a difference. So maybe it’s the crystal gasket

7ea4f86a399dac48b37fe63143922cf7.jpg

087654257f7dbc2ec1081192f18bc241.jpg

Pretty sure that Occb said in his thread it’s the xtal and gasket causing the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: mega12

lestorfreemon

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/2/19
Great review thanks!

It’s striking how bad the bezel looks next to the gen, when it looks just fine on its own.

I can’t speak to VRF quality but I’ve always been impressed with the ARF quality, especially the bracelets.

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
Pretty sure that Occb said in his thread it’s the xtal and gasket causing the difference.

Yeah, I also thought that he mentioned something like this

grandphuba

8/4/18
Would the gen bezel assembly fit the vrf case without mods? And Is the feel really that bad? If I have the gen insert, would replacing the vrf insert be enough, or would getting the assembly as well really make a difference?

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
Would the gen bezel assembly fit the vrf case without mods? And Is the feel really that bad? If I have the gen insert, would replacing the vrf insert be enough, or would getting the assembly as well really make a difference?

I didn’t try yet, but I think occb2 tried it already. From what I remember it should fit, but only with the rep crystal gasket. I will have a look on it these days.

9a009c7f874c5f8c7995823aaadbb609.jpg

Time doesn’t exist, clocks exist.

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
...and yes, unfortunately the „feel“ of rotation is really bad.

Btw, occb2 did you mount a gen tube on the VRF case? If so, any glue or mods needed or just a direct swap?

JTSWE

19/2/17
Lets hear about the movement

Stability, does it work like gen?

Change date both ways

Or just the Same garbage as CHS?

Skickat från min iPhone med RWI

stufuse

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/10/17
UK
I didn’t try yet, but I think occb2 tried it already. From what I remember it should fit, but only with the rep crystal gasket. I will have a look on it these days.

9a009c7f874c5f8c7995823aaadbb609.jpg

Occb said VRF bezel isn’t gen like construction ARF is and should be straight swap

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
Occb said VRF bezel isn’t gen like construction ARF is and should be straight swap

I remember about that but he mentioned something about the different gaskets.
As far as I can recall he said rep gasket works but gen gasket doesn’t work with rep construction. Not sure about the combination of rep gasket and gen construction

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
Here you go. occb2 complete gen assembly (incl tension ring) fits on VRF case with VRF crystal but not with VRF gasket. VRF gasket was too thick to push retaining ring over (or I did not try strong enough). Therefore I replaced it by a lower gen sub gasket and it worked. Of course, crystal sits now slightly lower than gen but fine for me for the moment. And overall heights is way closer to gen now.

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
So, the VRF is Not Worth Buying In General, but the ARF Is Not Worth Buying In Gen...

How do you come to that conclusion?

Btw, it’s the case back + the crystal gasket which gives the watch a different heights.
So not only the gasket

maxracingshox

I'm Pretty Popular
17/7/12
mega12 Seems to me like there are so many things wrong with VR. The bracelet and bezel look like junk tbh. Then there's the case back problem, as you described... I don't know - seems like a lot of trouble to build something nice, based on this, doesn't it?
The movement is insane though.

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
mega12 Seems to me like there are so many things wrong with VR. The bracelet and bezel look like junk tbh. Then there's the case back problem, as you described... I don't know - seems like a lot of trouble to build something nice, based on this, doesn't it?
The movement is insane though.

You are right.
But IMO the 3185 movement and the case is worth enough buying it.
Didn’t had an ARF in hands yet but with my planned upgrades of gen parts, VRF is good option for me. However, if you like to have a good oob watch I think ARF is better way to go.

maxracingshox

I'm Pretty Popular
17/7/12
mega12 What do you like better about the VR case in particular? Except for the better finish on the lugs, it seems like a draw to me otherwise...

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
As mentioned, I did not had the ARF in hands yet. Honestly speaking, the ARF seems on pics much more similar to my gen than VRF overall. However, Rob compared both cases and prefered the VRF. And no matter whether it’s just the lugs or something else, this one seems at least „a little“ better. Nonetheless, I personally prefer the vr movement and I’m fine with the case as well. But I would say, that ARF is better oob overall

ap@12

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
26/12/12
Here you go. occb2 complete gen assembly (incl tension ring) fits on VRF case with VRF crystal but not with VRF gasket. VRF gasket was too thick to push retaining ring over (or I did not try strong enough). Therefore I replaced it by a lower gen sub gasket and it worked. Of course, crystal sits now slightly lower than gen but fine for me for the moment. And overall heights is way closer to gen now.

i use on my franken the gen crystal gasket,crystal and the complete bezel consruction on the vrf case without any problems

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
Very nice! Subscribed, and thank you for sharing the information. Keep up the excellent works, brother. I will wait until the ARF come out with the two-tone version of this watch.

Thanks bro. Still awaiting your final TT sub pics :)

Reactions: beanvatan