• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

VRF vs. Gen 116710LN GMT - quick review

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
My god that is a beauty. Great work. I wish I had time. I have all the parts I just need to service my 3185. I got the 660 part its just been hell in my life the last few months. I will be home for a few days straight. Maybe I will finish the watch.

I have the same issue with the GMT hand. Truth though I would leave it right now till the movement starts acting up or until you have to do anything movement related. That crystal is amazing but it will show every mark, dust.

Great work! Love a great build. This here is what this hobby is all about!!!!!!

Reactions: mega12

ChinoWolf

Certified
29/10/17
USA
Lovely watch! I like the whole package and the green date is the cherry on top! Wear in good health, her little sister says hi! ;)
(this is a fantasy watch because I cannot stand the GMF BLRO insert, and I surprisingly found out that the LN insert and bezel were very affordable!

49352906113_299b420dfa_h.jpg

49353572442_cf7100e901_h.jpg

Beautiful build - my understanding is that for GMF the gen bezel just fits right on - no need to get gen clicking spring and etc?

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
My god that is a beauty. Great work. I wish I had time. I have all the parts I just need to service my 3185. I got the 660 part its just been hell in my life the last few months. I will be home for a few days straight. Maybe I will finish the watch.

I have the same issue with the GMT hand. Truth though I would leave it right now till the movement starts acting up or until you have to do anything movement related. That crystal is amazing but it will show every mark, dust.

Great work! Love a great build. This here is what this hobby is all about!!!!!!

Thanks Rob. Can’t wait to see yours.
Yeah I thought the same about the GMT hand. Will collect some further movement parts like the 660 and one day it will be replaced and fixed :)

Reactions: occb2

Redheart

17/5/19
Beautiful build - my understanding is that for GMF the gen bezel just fits right on - no need to get gen clicking spring and etc?

The gen bezel couldn't fit right in, I had to file down a little bit of the GMF hytrel joint

jcher

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
1/8/17
This is going to be another great one bro. I'd like to suggest you have your watchmaker/modder sand, polish and rebrush the top ledge of the rehaut while your watch is all apart. It's a 20-30 minute job and should not be left undone! Shame on VRF for this flaw.

Thanks KJ2020, I asked him and I'm very much looking forward to the end result. The 3185-660 module should arrive today ! I will share pictures when built

Reactions: KJ2020

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
The gen bezel couldn't fit right in, I had to file down a little bit of the GMF hytrel joint

I think that is the spacer. I used the ARF crystal ring and not a real one. I have to measure the differences.

With my luck I just had my Gallbladder removed yesterday so haven’t slept yet from pain and sitting in my work shop chair will hurt to much. But I am home for the week so when I am feeling better I will measure the real and the Vrf and arf spacer. The Vrf crystal ring I destroyed but I have 2 new sealed up Rolex ones and the arf one on the bench. I will like to measure that also because I didn’t use the spacer on my build to fit the ARF bezel on the Vrf case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dissemination

Renowned Member
15/6/19
San Jose, CA
mega12 thanks for this review. That jubilee is a nice touch! I especially like the green datedisc. Would you (or anyone else here?) happen to have the part number for that? Can't find one anywhere. Thanks in advance.

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
mega12 thanks for this review. That jubilee is a nice touch! I especially like the green datedisc. Would you (or anyone else here?) happen to have the part number for that? Can't find one anywhere. Thanks in advance.

Thanks. I don’t remember the exact part number. Need to search. Maybe I will find

Reactions: Dissemination

Dissemination

Renowned Member
15/6/19
San Jose, CA
Thanks. I don’t remember the exact part number. Need to search. Maybe I will find

I imagine it is rare to some degree so that's why I'm not finding it... hoping the part number will help in my searches. Everytime I see one, I am green with envy... :cowboy:

If you don't have it readily available, I'll keep searching myself. Of course I will stilll appreciate it if you happen to find it and post it!

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
I found the part number of my red one.
I think green will be somehow similar

e6300bd44cf3f841d79aaacf9875f4b5.jpg

Time doesn’t exist, clocks exist.

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
Regular black has 16200
Red has 16205
Red/Black has 16206
So green should be somewhere around :)

Reactions: Dissemination

jcher

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
1/8/17
Got my watch back and the result is stunning ! However the rehaut is slightly misaligned to the left but it's still within Rolex tolerance.

IMG_3835da6d1298a40a8460.jpg

Specs:
VRF 116710
VR3185 with a GEN module for jumping hours (3185-660)
GEN datewheel
GEN dial
GEN xtal
GEN ceramic insert, bezel, trigonal springs and tension ring

Reactions: Nivka and mega12

ginopino

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/16
Got my watch back and the result is stunning ! However the rehaut is slightly misaligned to the left but it's still within Rolex tolerance.

IMG_3835da6d1298a40a8460.jpg

Specs:
VRF 116710
VR3185 with a GEN module for jumping hours (3185-660)
GEN datewheel
GEN dial
GEN xtal

how is the VRF bracelet?

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17

Beautiful watch!
How did you mount the bezel? Gen retaining / crystal ring or VRF? Because VRF doesn’t fit the gen bezel, what I had in mind.

Btw: my gen GMT has slightly misaligned rehaut as well ;)

jcher

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
1/8/17
Beautiful watch!
How did you mount the bezel? Gen retaining / crystal ring or VRF? Because VRF doesn’t fit the gen bezel, what I had in mind.

Btw: my gen GMT has slightly misaligned rehaut as well ;)

My watchsmith said he struggled a little indeed, but it worked as he used a gen retaining ring, gen trigonal springs and a gen spec bezel gasket ;-)