• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New Build of a 16610LN from mainly sourced gen parts

kadeee

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
By the time I started to deal with high-end replicas, the desire to own a replica as close to the original as possible.
So I first searched the web for original parts, which I also found on eBay or tswisst.
My interest initially was, it's not surprising, a Rolex Submariner 16610LV. I also found quite a few parts online, many thought I was too expensive, but some were worth the money.
First and foremost, I noticed a dial which, to my knowledge, did not exist as a replica. Today I know that it is the so-called "Zubmariner" dial. The price was for my term o.k. and the seller lsmwatch trusted so I bought this.

Much more difficult was the search for a working cal. 3135 movement, but I found it here at Gina (fierygems). First, I bought a supposedly original 3135 from a German eBay member, which turned out to be scrap metal (so the balance bridge was broken and the balance was removed from a clone factory, as well as the complete gear train). After some mailtraffic between the seller and me he took back the scrap.

Finally, I found a crown on eBay, excellent hands from tswisst and finally I got the other parts for this build from here.

As housing a TC LV3 Case was used, which comes from a build from mega12 , the inlay from mrtaylor88 , the glass from Banana Split and as a band I used a JF 1: 1 Best Edition.
This is the story for parts procurement.

Originally, I had the whole thing already installed in a case with Lug Holes, which does not fit in time but the SL parts. Masterhora was so nice and built this wonderful build for me.

And here is the result (the last picture is unfortunately very bad but I do not have better equipment right now to take better pictures):

Currently the build is still not yet perfect as it is difficult to wind up the watch and the watch unfortunately failed on the mandantory water-tightness test.

Reactions: Meister Hora

qualityazn

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
11/3/18
beautiful watch, why not upgrade the case to v6 or v7 since you’ve already spent all the money?

i bought the zubmariner dial as well its a beauty, really makes a difference compared to the bp of jf

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
Great build.
The v3 is one of the rare with correct lug engravings and no rehaut. Mich more rare than v6 IMO...

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Very nice build! Do you know where the failure point was for the pressure test? The gaskets can be sourced from esslinger, although it could be an issue with the case, tube or crown. Enjoy it...it's a beautiful piece!

kadeee

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
My watchmaker thinks that it‘s related to the tube. As I already bought a gen tube here I think it‘ll be just a matter of time to get this resolved.

kadeee

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
Short update on this build.

I ordered a VN 16610 case as a replacement for the TC v3 case. Ben Welte changed the cases and regulated the balance so the movement is running fine again. I also bought a Gen 93250 bracelet here and sent the case with the bracelet to TomRep for reshaping the case to gen specs and a complete refinish of both, the case and the bracelet.

So today the watch is so close to the real deal, I simply love and wear it almost every day.

jLoE9L.jpg

The TC v3 case has been given back to mega12

Last edited:

eqw72

Gangsterville
Supporter
Certified
8/9/20

I ordered a VN 16610 case as a replacement for the TC v3 case. Ben Welte changed the cases and regulated the balance so the movement is running fine again. I also bought a Gen 93250 bracelet here and sent the case with the bracelet to TomRep for reshaping the case to gen specs and a complete refinish of both, the case and the bracelet.

So today the watch is so close to the real deal, I simply love and wear it almost every day.

jLoE9L.jpg

Absolutely beautiful piece. I got an ARF LN incoming which I’m hoping to build up overtime. Need to find a good (and patient) watchmaker here in the UK to assist.

Pennoyer22

Horology Curious
6/10/21

jLoE9L.jpg

I'm very jealous of this build and the way you meticulously crafted it. I hope I can draw on some inspiration here. I'm in the process of trying to source a 16610.

Kcnminus

GS fanboy
1/11/17
Looks amazing. I held on to a JF 16610LN for a while to try to franken it to this level, but it was not in the cards. Maybe one day, though.

Galenik

22/7/21
EU
Hi! Very beautiful watch, congratulations!
May I ask, what movement did you finally use? Because you wrote that you sent back the genuine movement because of its bad quality.

Cheers:)

kadeee

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
I first bought one that was described as authentic Rolex, not working and some parts missing. The truth was that all gears have been replaced by replica gears. I sent this back not because of its bad quality, I sent it back because it was simply not possible to replace every rep part from this specific movement with an authentic part without breaking the bank.
I managed it to get another authentic Rolex caliber 3135 for this build.
So a real 3135 caliber is working on this watch.

Galenik

22/7/21
EU
Wow, that sounds absolutely great! I image it to be very difficult to find a trustworthy seller for a gen 3135 movement.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Galenik

22/7/21
EU
Enjoy your wonderful build in good health :)

kadeee

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
Wow, that sounds absolutely great! I image it to be very difficult to find a trustworthy seller for a gen 3135 movement.

Well,

that's not too easy of course. But it's even more difficult to find a (relatively) cheap and running Cal. 3135.

The one I have as a spare is keeping it's time almost perfect but needs definately to be serviced. It just shows an amplitude of 209 degrees when fully wound up. That's too low. And the beat error could or should be better.

But hey, that's part of the deal. If you want everything perfect you have to go gen. Fun part for me is hunting the holy grail. I've managed it to find following rare parts:
Gen bezel for the Rolex 16622 Yachtmaster
Gen caliber 3035 (2 pieces, both are running perfect now in a 16800 Build and a 16803 Build)
Gen caliber 3135 (2 pieces, 1 is spare and the other has been used for this Build)
Authentic, not polished 93150 clasp for the 16800 Build. The flip lock is different to modern ones. Also the gen old style divers extension for use in the 16800 Build is different to modern ones
And much more ...

Last edited:

Galenik

22/7/21
EU
That sounds very ambitious and thrilling! Would you mind sharing some pictures of the build when everything is done? Especially interesting since it’s rare to use a gen movement in a vintage project.