• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

IWC Top Gun Ref No. IW3890-01 Review!

Daniel729

Horology Curious
25/7/19
the watch is really wonderful, I immediately pulled the trigger, when a "Miramar" IW389002 Version was offered to me.

XE7gX.jpg

XENoi.jpg

XERPb.jpg

I have the same watch, but I really don't like the quality and the feel of the strap. Does anyone have an idea for a replacement strap?

Om3ga_guy

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/12/10
Canada
Hey guys question - on mine the 6 o'clock subdial runs continuously tracking seconds as it should. On my 12 o'clock subdial I have the double hands. The smaller one in the back seems to move on its own. Hard to say but its slow, I havent timed it but I almost feel like its moving every hour...? Is that the same case with you guys? I can reset it with the lower 4 o'clock pusher. Strange though the chronograph isn't running or engaged.

Screen-Shot-2021-02-10-at-2-32-01-PM.png

Last edited:

GreatWhite

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/2/21
That is a beauty, it was on my list but now it is definitely on my list!

rrr83

Horology Curious
13/4/21
Hi all,

I recently receive the IWC Top Gun Ref No. IW3890-01 by ZF, which I ordered from PureTime (great service by the way! Kudos to PT!)
This model is basically the Top Gun model first released by IWC in 2016, featuring 2 subdials on the 12th o'clock, with the outer for minutes and inner for a 12-hour stopwatch dial.

As you can see from the Imgur link. it came nicely packed in a long ziplock bag by ZF was nicely protected from scratches with protective films pasted all over the watch itself which I removed prior to taking the photos.

Dimension wise, everything is accurate to the gen. Chrono function works great with good depress feel and reset function works brilliantly with flyback action. The double subdial on the 12 o'clock works (both the minute hand and the 12-hour counter dial hand), contrary to what others believed

The Calfskin strap is 90% close to gen in terms of detail, quality and feel, with the rep feeling a bit stiffer (which I am ok with, understanding that we have to give-and-take at some point when dealing with reps).

The clasp works perfectly very close to the gen, with a secure, firm and load clip sound when wearing the watch and closing the buckle to secure the watch onto the wrist.

The lume is bright and clear, evenly applied across the markers with lume. Indices and numbers are accurately applied in great details.

Sapphire glass is beautifully done with blue hue under light.

Winding is firm and smooth. Screwdown crown function with no issue at all.

The only downside for me is the difference in the 12 O'clock double sub dial, in which the gen has the inner dial countersunked while the reps have in pop-out slightly. But considering the fact that ZF able to modify the A7750 to have double sub dial working, I personally can overlook that part.

All in all, the watch feels very solid and well built! Well-done ZF!

Highly recommended to any IWC Top Gun lovers!

Images are in the link here: https://imgur.com/a/FIbOXA3

Cheers to all! Thank you for taking the time to read my post!

Great watch !!
I just ordered BP IW502003 Ceramic “BOUTIQUE RODEO DRIVE” ZF
I hope it has same Calfskin strap as your IW3890-01.
You said strap is 90% close to gen, on pictures it looks really good. I don't want to order new strap if this one is good.

fsucrzy

17/5/18
Texas, USA
I’ve had mine for a couple of years and seems to be my “go to” casual watch. Love it. Great review!

bhehe6813

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
13/7/16
Hey guys question - on mine the 6 o'clock subdial runs continuously tracking seconds as it should. On my 12 o'clock subdial I have the double hands. The smaller one in the back seems to move on its own. Hard to say but its slow, I havent timed it but I almost feel like its moving every hour...? Is that the same case with you guys? I can reset it with the lower 4 o'clock pusher. Strange though the chronograph isn't running or engaged.

Screen-Shot-2021-02-10-at-2-32-01-PM.png
Same issue on the miramar.

Mrlemonwaters

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/2/22
Wow nice review, was contemplating to pull the trigger on a IWC ZF but this has helped