• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Review: Jjf nautilus 5711(pics/rep v gen)

Rplau32

Horology Curious
5/11/13
Hey Everyone! This is my first review. I've been lurking the forum for years, and recently i became interested on the PP Nautilus 5711. My Local TD had the JJF version, and i searched for a review on every rep forum, only to find reviews of PF or BP factories. I pulled the trigger anyways, because the price was insane. (171 USD!!), I checked through and through and it was the same version that TDs are selling for 300+! I couldn't pass on that. Without further ado, here goes the review:
DISCLAIMER: I am by no means a PP expert, so forgive me if i omit any glaring flaw and feel free to correct me. I only do this because i feel a JJF review was necessary. The gen pics are taken from around the internet.

BRIEF HISTORY OF THE NAUTILUS: As an Answer to AP's Groundbreaking SS luxury sports model, the Royal Oak, Patek seeked the help of legendary watchmaker Gerald Genta (Which also happened to design the Royal Oak). It is said that he designed it in under 15 minutes, drawing inspiration from portholes found on transatlantic liners. At the time, it was considered a large watch (42 mm) but extremely thin (7.60 mm). with unusual depth rating (120 m). Yet, it was quite a success. It also became popular because of Patek's reputation as a prestigious watchmaker.
qQVAA.md.jpg

Now , on to the rep + rep vs gen (rep always on top) :
REP WATCH SPECS:

Size 40mm x 8.9 mm (I actually measured it with a caliper)

Movement Japanese MIYOTA 9015 automatic movement decorate to PP PP324CS movement(Same stability as Swiss ETA movements)

Functions Hours, minutes, seconds and date display

Case Solid 316L stainless steel case

Crystal Scratch-proof sapphire crystal

Dial Blue textured dial

Bezel Polished/brushed stainless steel bezel

Strap Stainless steel bracelet

Clasp Deployant clasp

DIAL: The dial on this rep is quite beautiful, with horizontal embossed bars which give it an unusual yet elegant look. The color is a deep navy blue that changes depending on how the light touches it. The lettering is crisp, (at least in my eyes) and easy to read with white stick markers and hands. It seems to me that the biggest dial flaws are the thcikness of the bars, the hands and the DW font.

qQpGy.md.jpg

But then again, i'm no expert. Although i'm not sure about the hands and bars, i'm quite sure the DW is a bit thinner than gen. Still, no deal breakers for me. Not that anal about details lol (rep on right):

qQ1Tq.md.jpg

MOVEMENT: Ahh, the good ole Miyota 9015. What can i say that hasn't been already said? 28,800 bph, crazy spinnin' noisy rotor, good PR. I believe the Pros outweigh the Cons, and although this watch may not have the same movement finishing as a 40,000 USD watch (DUH) it is a quite decent attempt.(for 0.4 % of the gen price), and has a good Power Reserve (around 24-30 hours):

qCuh8.md.jpg

THICKNESS: This was the Department that scared me the most before receiving the watch. I saw some comments saying eww JJF is thick like a brick. Well, it clocked in at 8.9 mm thick. Not bad! our TD's list it at 10 mm, maybe i got lucky?? (or measured the wrong way lol, i will try to upload a pic with calipers later) Anyways guys, this watch wears really thin. I thought the caseback would make the watch sit really high but oh no, it wears super thin. Maybe not gen-thinness, but thinner than i expected!. There's a misconception With thickness on hand, because when you wear it, you barely see the caseback. See for yourself:

qCxpy.md.jpg

You can also check out the detailed engravings on crown and case profile, which are quite good.

qCpmb.md.jpg

CROWN: As you can see from the pictures on the "thickness" section, the crown is well detailed. When comparing it to gen however it protrudes less, (or maybe the gen in pics was not screwed all the way?) Anyways , it feels solid when setting the time/winding/ date. No complaints here. Only issue is the gen crown hole(¿?) is shaped like this "\_/ " while the rep is shaped like this: "V" (If someone ever calls you out for that, please, smack them across the face) :

qCoRq.md.jpg

BRACELET: This is my biggest issue with hte watch. although comfortable, it is quite stiff and hard to open. Sure, when you are wearing it you know it won't come undone. But you need some force to unclasp it. Detail-wise, it is quite good, with brushed and polished links, and engraved clasp. (Which is, in my opinion, quite good looking.). Adjusting links was a nightmare, felt like i was king arthur trying to take out the sword from the stone.

qUVfQ.md.jpg

Deeper engravings on the inside of the clasp:

qUqMG.md.jpg

Well detailed cross:

qc68o.md.jpg

CONCLUSION/FINAL THOUGHTS: This is by no means a Super Rep, it is a Patek,after all, but i believe this iteration of the nautilus by JJF, gets a lot of undeserved flack. Sure, it's got its flaws, but what rep doesn´t?. After toying around with it, i consider it a quite decent rep. Even more at the price i got it. Again, a Nautilus costs around 50,000 usd and this costs 300+ ( 171 for me ) usd. It is like 0.3-0.4% percent of the price, and sure enough, the devil is in the details. But are the details worth 49,000? I don't think so. I can buy a damn good car with that kind of money, and it certainly is better than a 40 mm chunk of steel. This is a perfect all around watch, not that common, and not as flashy/ instantly recognizable as a Rolex , or a Royal Oak. It may not be the best PP rep there is, JJF may not be the best factory with this particular model, but damn, i look at mine and smile.
And i think that is all that matters.
It doesn't feel low quality at all. I am pleasantly surprised with this watch. Anyways Guys, hope this review will complement the other Nautilus reviews by other factories, and will help you decide which one suits you the most.

BONUS SHOT : with another Rep and vintage watch:

qREVG.md.jpg

Last edited:

mikeanh77

13/11/18
Asia
I would love a pp nautilus after all. Cheers on the watch and thanks for the review op

Rplau32

Horology Curious
5/11/13
And send a mass DM of who's the TD that we would all like to make rich buying $171 JJFs :D

I wish! this was the last one he had and i believe he didn't know what it was, because he tends to overcharge, was just trying to get rid of it. The other reps he has are Dh Gate tier reps. :(