• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

JP 15400 AP v3/4 Review

rolled85

Horology Curious
13/5/18
JF* sorry not JP

Hello All,
Received my JF 15400 AP a few weeks ago (I ordered it on the cusp of the V3/V4 designation but the V4 was kind of a soft rollout anyways and later V3s have the changes it seems). So I guess I would consider mine a V4 (engraving on movement is PIGUET not PIGEBT etc.). Regardless, here are some photos. This is my second watch after a Vacheron Constantin Overseas 47040, which is a similar design with the same miyota movement so I'll occasionally compare the two.

My wrist is about 6.5-6.6inch and as you can see it's at the larger limit for me. I think I'd rather have a 39mm 15202 if the replicas were as nice as I feel this one is. Regardless, the farther you are away the less weird it looks (I tried to take some close up shots on wrist and it looks like the watch is way bigger than my wrist, which it really isnt). It looks normal on my wrist regardless of the way it makes me have a cigarette wrist in the photo, and I'm not into that 50mm hublot ridiculous look either. The screws look worse in closeup photos than they look IRL as well. I'm 99.9% pleased by the watch. Might end up flipping it for something smaller though.

What I like:
-Everything!
-Miyota rotor is NOT loud or noticeable at all compared to my VC 47040 which I had to silence with some grease. Which is good because opening this thing would be way more annoying.
-Clasp is great and much better design than the VC one (AP logo on one piece closing on top of the other piece vs the VC having to touch to make the VC symbol)
-Brushed look is amazing, dial is beautiful, 10 second polish with my shirt makes all the surfaces and brushed/polished look pop as if it were new
-Keeps decent time, +4s/day
-I trust miyota movement more than some chinese knockoff so I'd rather have the drawbacks of the miyota for a movement I can actually trust
-Movement in caseback looks so damn beautiful even if it's a tell for someone who knows what they're looking for I can't stop showing it off to my friends

Minor Grievances (Just problems with v4 and miyota movement basis):
-The screws for the lugs have worked loose twice but I tightened them and they seem like they are working and tight screws and not going to be a problem.
-Being fatter than gen, especially caseback is more noticeable on wrist than I hoped (still not that bad)
-AP logo on crown is facing 180 degrees rotated from where it should be when screwed in
-After hearing someone on reddit had a problem with the clasp pin and the way it's setup just sticking out of the band without being screwed through or anything I'm kinda paranoid it will eventually have a problem. NO problems yet though so I can't complain.
-Date change not instant is annoying
-High beat rate

Problems with gen design:
-No micro adjustment due to the way the AP band works but the AP links are way smaller than I thought they would be and they're basically the micro adjustment small link of other brands anyways
-Most of the beauty is the finish so I'm paranoid about scratches and stuff (already got a tiny one at 11 o clock on lug), but who cares, all AP including gen will be scratched. I like to wear my watches and enjoy them.
-the flat surfaces around the bezel are dust magnets and hard to clean without messing with brushed finish, so they end up just being kinda dusty and gunky unless you're really on top of gently cleaning with a brush (had this problem on VC overseas as well, just an annoyance of the Genta design)
-Lugs are so damn wide it wears insanely big. At the base of the caseback, from band to band is MINIMUM 48mm due to the way the joints on the lug/bracelet interface work! The bracelet also is only bendy to a certain point so it keeps going wider at that point!
-even if the bracelet is adjusted to correct size for my wrist it manages to work its way into a weird angle on my forearm and wrist
-Sapphire caseback gets all gunked up over time so if you want to take it off to show it off you better be on top of cleaning it, I've been pretty careful to avoid wearing it when I have a lot of sunscreen on but it still managed to be all dirty and take a good 30 seconds of spitshining it to clean it.

hSPzd.md.jpg

hSwjZ.md.jpg

hS80R.md.jpg

hSg5g.md.jpg

hSSfa.md.jpg

hShby.md.jpg

hSdjG.md.jpg

hSH0q.md.jpg

hSOA6.md.jpg

hS3l0.md.jpg

hSmbF.md.jpg

hS5jr.md.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Gardetemps

SuaveGentleman

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/8/17
Great review, thanks for writing it up! Your dial looks great, especially the font. And Royal Oak bracelets are love :drool:

christo14

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
19/2/16
When you run you thumb along the bracelet does it feel smooth or rough? The biggest tell on these reps, imo, is the way it feels in hand. Most won't know movements well enough to spot the difference from looking and aesthetically the watch looks perfect to gen, but when in hand the rough bracelet feels wrong. Have they fixed this issue (I previously owned V2) ??