• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Taiji's PAM005G/K full review

taiji

30/11/06
Hi all, this is my 4th pam review.

Before I begin,some of the pics showed in my review belong to some great members. They were meant for illustration purpose. Pls let me know if you want them to be removed.Thank you in advanced for allowing me to use the pics as I face difficulties finding them.

I am not a pam expert, so all comments made were solely based on what I know, observation and opinions. My main Purpose is to create an interesting post and share with the community .

If you find any incorrect information in my post, you are more than welcome to chime in and it will be greatly appreciated that you share your info with us.

And here we go ...

I always like PAM005 because of the logo on dial. However, I ended up going for other models because there are too many glaring flaws to my eyes.

The earlier batch of PAM005 reps are based on G series mainly and they are available from the cartel and davidson.

In the gen world, Panerai uses 2 different dials on PAM005 G series.

Namely the "long arrow" dial and the standard logo dial.

So, what is the difference?

5473478797_0a274a95d1_z.jpg

The dial on the left has a logo with long arrow. These are the same dial are apparently used on PAM195. PAM005G with this "long arrow" dial are more desirable as there are only a small amount of PAM005G with such dial (less than 100 from the information gathered). The sausage lume on the numerals and hour markers are thinner.

The sausage dial on the right has the standard logo and it has fatter numeral and hour markers.

Although the PAM005G with "long arrow" dial is more desirable, I prefer the latter.

Back to the rep world, Cartel repped both versions.

Let's see a comparo pic for the verison with standard logo and fat numerals and hour markers.

5474076546_c6002b90d6_z.jpg

Gen on Left and Rep on right

** Logo is bigger and looks more "rectangular" on the rep
** Logo is crooked and lack the tilting angle per gen
(Easy tell will be the top arrow pointing at the bottom tip of the letter "E" while the rep logo arrow is pointing towards the center of the bottom of the letter "E")
** Over powering AR on crystal with strong presence of blue tint
** Incorrect low cross bar letter "A" on dial
** Lume color is incorrect (2 version dials with white and alien lume are available but lume are weak and will not glow like a torch)
** Sausage numerals and the hour markers are not bold per gen
** The "2" from 12 o'clock has a longer tail on the rep
** Text font are bigger on the rep
** Placement of the "PANERAI" text is placed lower on the rep
** The hour markers are nearer to the rehaut on the rep
** Recessed cannon pin on the rep
** Rep crown look fake without the bevel and sit too close to the side of the case
** Poorly shaped CG lever tip on rep
** CG lever pin not flushed on rep

Here's another pic showing cartel's PAM005G with "longer arrow" and thinner numerals and hour markers

5474076608_c837304cd0.jpg

** Logo is bigger and looks more "rectangular" on the rep
** Logo is too straight and lack the tilting angle per gen
(This time the top arrow is pointing at the begining end of the bottom tip of the letter "E" while the rep logo arrow is pointing towards the center of the bottom of the letter "E")
** Over powering AR on crystal with strong presence of blue tint
** Incorrect low cross bar letter "A" on dial
** Lume color is incorrect (2 version dials with white and alien green lume are available but lume are weak and will not glow like a torch)
** Sausage numerals and the hour markers are not bold per gen
** The "2" from 12 o'clock has a longer tail on the rep
** Text font are bigger on the rep
** Recessed cannon pin on the rep
** Rep crown is too thin
** CG lever pin not flushed on rep

Davidson's version on the other hand is proned towards the logo with "long arrow" (easy tell is the thinner numeral and hour markers). One good thing about Davidson's PAm rep is that it all come with high and flushed cannon pin.

5474076578_2a69e5270a_z.jpg

** Logo is bigger and look more "rectangular"on the rep
** Logo is crooked and lack the tilting angle per gen
(Easy tell will be the top arrow pointing at the bottom tip of the letter "E" while the rep logo arrow is pointing towards the center of the bottom of the letter "E")
** The "2" from 12 o'clock has a shorter tail on the rep
** Original rep lume color were either alien green or yellow colour (The one shown in the pics had undergone a relume to the correct colour)
** Text font are bigger on the rep and too thin
** Crown look thin because the crown edge is often over beveled on Davidson's rep
** "L Swiss L" placement is too low on the rep
** CG lever pin not flushed on rep and the diameter is smaller compared to gen

Let's take a look at the case back.

Gen on Left and with Davidson's version on right

5474100202_23308ce4e6_z.jpg

** The engravings on the rep are rather shabby as compared to the gen which are sharp and crisp
** Font size for "FIRENZE" and "1860" are smaller and they are not stretched out like the gen
** The production number "GXXX/1200" are etched on the gen but engraved on the rep
** The engravings on Davidson's is more concentrated towards the center thus leaving a big gap surrounding it Whereas the engravings on the gen is spread outwards with smaller gap surrounding it.
** Davidson's case back thickness is too thin and weigh much lighter

On to Cartel's caseback,

5474076704_32e1cd6953_m.jpg

** Poor engravings on the rep as compared to the gen which are sharp and crisp
** Font size for "FIRENZE" and "1860" are a bot more accurate than Davidson's but were filled with black paint (which can be easily removed)
** Poor engraving for the production number on the rep which is incorrect as gen are etched on
** Cartel's case back are better as it is thicker and weigh closer to the gen

My thoughts : I was very tempted to get one but as I say, there are too many flaws.
Mods like sourcing for a proper dial with possible correct logo with tilting angle, correct text font size on dial, T48 crown modding, Toro's CG, reluming just made me give up the idea everytime I think of it.

Back then, a fully modded or franken PAM005G is something that make all PAM logo fans drool but it normally called for a price tag of $800 or more which explain why I never did own one.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The wait is finally over.

Here we have ... possibly the best out of the box pam rep ... introducing the new PAM005K rep.

Did I say "Best out of the box" ??

Yes, I did and I mean it.

With all the past experience in intensive modding in this hobby, this is the best pam rep ever made IMHO.

It looks and feels gen and best of all, no mods needed if you are not the nitpicking type.

Let's see the intro pic of this super ultimate rep.

5473479085_416000f6d2.jpg

And now, let's move on to some comparo pics (taken using my iphone 3GS and looks crappy)

Gen on left and rep on right

5474076734_e0058ec641_z.jpg

** Spot on text on dial. Font size and color used are per gen
** sausage lume colour on numerals and hour markers are spot on. It look thicker in the rep pic because focusing was bad on iphone camera. It really look spot on as you can see from the intro pic.
** Placement on " L Swiss made L" under the number "6" is rather accurately placed.
** No more recessed cannon pin issue (mod save up)
** AR is not the greatest but best I've seen on rep and colourless per gen (mod save up and bye bye to stripping ugly blue tint AR or send for recoating)
** Logo size is spot on with the correct tilting angle and arrow head pointing the the correct bottom tip of the letter "E"
** CG is fat and nice with plished flatten lever pin (another mod save up)
** Roller CG lever plus hex crown stem are really nicely made
** Crown is thick and well polished per gen (Mod save again)
** CG level close with a snap sound per gen
** For the nitpickers, yeap, the CG lever is wobbly when open and also the crown is sitting too near the side of the watch case. But these can be improved by modding them if you are serious on this watch and want it to become a long time keeper.

Some more comparo pics

5473479153_366bed1baa_z.jpg

5473479193_7c87e1a211_z.jpg

** CG is perfectly fitted to the watch case without ulgy gaps at both ends.
** lug shape looks correct

5473479115_ff9312e648_z.jpg

** Caseback is definitely worth mentioning
** Thickness and weight per gen and it even comes with " Swiss made" inside on the reverse side.
** Although shallow, but the engravings on rep are crisp and sharp per gen
** Production number are etched on per gen
** Text Font size and spacing are correct per gen
** For the nitpickers again, yes, the PB code could be done better as it is not engraved per gen but etched on

Perfecto pic

5473479255_e7e86fe80f_z.jpg

Lume pic

5474076974_8f92430065.jpg

** Need I say more ???

My thoughts : The long wait is definitely worth it. As this watch requires no mod, satisfaction is high as almost all details have been taken care of. For the price it is selling at, I really think this is a no brainer. Add an OEM strap, improve the crown spacing, wobbly crown lever and maybe upgrade to a swiss or high beat seagull movt. You have a winner without buring a hole in your pocket.

Thank you and I hope you enjoy my review.

sharrkey

Legendary Member
Advisor
14/6/08
Excellent Review Taiji, mines on the way as we speak.

mumum

Renowned Member
18/1/07
Great review. Maybe I missed it, but wished there was one like this for the 288. Very to the point and everyone knows the mods required, if any, going in!

wolfwood

Put Some Respect On My Name
4/2/11
Excellent job! Very well written and clear. This just confirm my correct decision in getting one. Mine is shipped and on the way from Lay.

D

d4m.test

Thanks for sharing, great review!

Can you tell me where to get it? Does every trusted dealer has this super rep?

taiji

30/11/06
Hi,

Yes. Most of the dealers have them.

I got mine from Tony. Super fast response and best best price IMO.

Better act fast before they are gone cos nothing beats the first production batch (known fact cos the maker tends to add in more issues in later production batch)

An example will be the ulitmate PAM250 with the correct colour lume for the first production batch and maker later use the wrong alien green lume on the later production)

0.02 cts

Autobahn

21/10/10
Superb comparison and very well presented. Convincing while somewhat annoying, as I am now compelled to buy yet another Pam rep, which my friends and family all feel is a hobby which has rendered me hoplessly irrational, even insane, Be assured, though, I have not experienced uncontrollable twitching, or foaming of the mouth. It's all good.

BWAAAAAAA HA HAAA!

D

d4m.test

Hi,

Yes. Most of the dealers have them.

I got mine from Tony. Super fast response and best best price IMO.

Better act fast before they are gone cos nothing beats the first production batch (known fact cos the maker tends to add in more issues in later production batch)

An example will be the ulitmate PAM250 with the correct colour lume for the first production batch and maker later use the wrong alien green lume on the later production)

0.02 cts

Thanks!

Do you know what size the case is? I guess 44mm?

Tony is from replicamake? Or am I cursing now?

goin6633

I'm Pretty Popular
8/9/08
Really nice review !
Thank you again .
Can't wait to see my 005 , should be arrived tomorrow , I hope .

taiji

30/11/06
I am now compelled to buy yet another Pam rep, which my friends and family all feel is a hobby which has rendered me hoplessly irrational, even insane, Be assured, though, I have not experienced uncontrollable twitching, or foaming of the mouth. It's all good.

BWAAAAAAA HA HAAA!

Your symptoms are normal here in this section.

Welcome to the dark side ... Wwwoooaahhhaaaaaa....

Thanks!

Do you know what size the case is? I guess 44mm?

Tony is from replicamake?

Yes, 44mm

NO not this Tony.

But THIS Tony from www "dot" asian7750 "dot" com