• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How I built my Franken Submariner 16610 JF

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
Some more Sharkies please :)

8c46d08aa32a1df675f483af87261300.jpg

Reactions: Buglicker

Buglicker

Known Member
18/9/17
Lincoln UK
Can't beat a nice Shark - though have just obtained another bargain bluesy insert because I need a 16613LB also.

Today's watch.
lxrKA.jpg

Reactions: Maron

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
New gen DateDisc on 2824 - nothing beats gen

b273ca5eecacd590b13fcfe9cff3be87.jpg

Specs:
TC v2 case, dial and hands
TC v6 bracelet
JF clasp
Gen sapphire LEC
Gen Swiss ETA 2824
Gen 3135 Date
Gen Bezel assembly
Gen LV insert

Buglicker

Known Member
18/9/17
Lincoln UK
Nice. It’s a JF base with JF date?

That's correct, with a gen insert plus decent click spring & washer. Also fitted a couple of reversing wheels, the originals were slipping (missed your autowind module) Once I've collected a few more pieces it'll be off for a service and Gen date installed.

Also need to change those pins at the SEL - bracelet join. This is my third JF bracelet, and both of the others failed there with no warning. Needs changing to a solid pin.

Your watches are gorgeous. I'd be happy at that level!

Reactions: mega12 and Maron

Dino2018

Patron
Certified
14/3/18
New gen DateDisc on 2824 - nothing beats gen

Hello mega12 , do you have any experience with 3135 ST datewheels? as almost 50 USD they are roughly 2.5 times less than a gen. Are they a noticeably upgrade over a standad SH DW and closer to gen or not? What do you please think? Thank you!

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
Hello mega12 , do you have any experience with 3135 ST datewheels? as almost 50 USD they are roughly 2.5 times less than a gen. Are they a noticeably upgrade over a standad SH DW and closer to gen or not? What do you please think? Thank you!

Hi Dino,
While I can get a used, but still good conditioned gen date disc for around 80€ I would never consider ST ones for 50$ ;) so unfortunately no experience with those DWOs but trust me: gen is gen and I haven’t had any aftermarket yet that beats gen. Only TC v4 DWO is comparable to gen, but works only as an overlay for 2824 movements and not for regular SH or Yuki.

Reactions: Dino2018 and Maron

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
That's correct, with a gen insert plus decent click spring & washer. Also fitted a couple of reversing wheels, the originals were slipping (missed your autowind module) Once I've collected a few more pieces it'll be off for a service and Gen date installed.

Also need to change those pins at the SEL - bracelet join. This is my third JF bracelet, and both of the others failed there with no warning. Needs changing to a solid pin.

Your watches are gorgeous. I'd be happy at that level!

Pretty nice!
JF bracelet needs a WD40 bath. And end links are not the best. But same for every rep one. TC, JF, whatever. Go with gen thick 20mm spring bars instead (~40€) and it will fit definitely much better. Reversing wheels are good to go for the movement. Have a look at my 15200 review and you will see my recommendations for SH upgrades.
In case you need another autowind, just let me know - but I don’t think so.

Reactions: Buglicker and Maron

Maron

Mythical Poster
16/2/15
Canada
Hi Dino,
While I can get a used, but still good conditioned gen date disc for around 80€ I would never consider ST ones for 50$ ;) so unfortunately no experience with those DWOs but trust me: gen is gen and I haven’t had any aftermarket yet that beats gen. Only TC v4 DWO is comparable to gen, but works only as an overlay for 2824 movements and not for regular SH or Yuki.

You might also have problems with fitment using the wso

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dino2018

Buglicker

Known Member
18/9/17
Lincoln UK
I’ve attached a pic of the problem with the JF bracelet, that join has a tiny springbar holding it that can, and will fail at any time. Dropping your watch to the ground - or worse.. Happened to me with two separate JF bracelets, and I’ve seen it several times on the forums. End link needs pulling apart to fit a solid pin.

The springbars I use are from a eBay shop in Australia, miles better than any rep ones, obviously not as good as gen, but a great compromise for 10% of the cost.

I’ve got your 15200 review in my bookmarks, along with this one. Good stuff thanks.

lXb2p.jpg

Buglicker

Known Member
18/9/17
Lincoln UK
Spent some of this weekend repairing the above bracelet with solid pins, and replaced the silly spring pins in my latest JF before they did the same.

These were slightly different to the first two sets I replaced, but still weak.

Also cuts a lot of play from that first link, well worth doing imo.

8AAkf.jpg

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
Nice - if you try gen ones, it will be even stronger and less play. But good decision to replace spring bars! Low investment but high impact

Buglicker

Known Member
18/9/17
Lincoln UK
I'd like to know what the gen (and TC) uses at that point - I did read somewhere, maybe TRF, that the gen use similar little springbars, but I find that hard to believe.
It's obviously designed so the factory can easily fit the SELs after manufacture of the bracelet, but it's a weak link.
I used some splined pins cannibalized from an old bracelet, all pressed together with red loctite. No more play at that link, than at any over part. No longer worried about my watch dropping off..

NR20y.jpg

Maron

Mythical Poster
16/2/15
Canada
I'd like to know what the gen (and TC) uses at that point - I did read somewhere, maybe TRF, that the gen use similar little springbars, but I find that hard to believe.
It's obviously designed so the factory can easily fit the SELs after manufacture of the bracelet, but it's a weak link.
I used some splined pins cannibalized from an old bracelet, all pressed together with red loctite. No more play at that link, than at any over part. No longer worried about my watch dropping off..

NR20y.jpg

SEL looks good. Hard to enjoy a watch if you are afraid it’ll fall off your wrist.

Buglicker

Known Member
18/9/17
Lincoln UK
SEL looks good. Hard to enjoy a watch if you are afraid it’ll fall off your wrist.

Thanks!
My JF Explorer 1 failed at that same point, so I read up on it a little, and replaced both sides. Then I bought a JF16610 bracelet, polished the sides, and fitted it to my BPSD. That failed a couple months later, it's the broken bracelet pictured above. So wasn't risking it on this watch!