• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Gruppo Gamma Mashup Review (Pic Heavy)

Repguy

Renowned Member
31/12/13
Thanks to a thread in the Supporters section at RWG, I began researching watches on a specific Chinese wholesale site. Although many of these sellers require minimum purchases, upwards of 300 watches an order, some allow you to receive samples to test, after which you can decide if you want more quantity.

I did this with a seller claiming to be selling factory direct. One watch that piqued my interest was a Gruppo Gamma model they had available for immediate delivery.

This is most similar to the Gruppo Gamma Peacemaker model, but with a slightly different case, and fantasy logo on the bottom dial. I found out that "Hexagon Timepieces" is a Chinese distributor of this brand, so it appears to be an unofficial mash up of the two.

After deciding to try out a sample, they informed me of the price, and I was surprised to say the least. Three days, and a total of $90 later, it arrived by DHL to my home. For comparison, this is $599 from Gruppo Gamma. This was just the head, but I had a genuine unused Gruppo Ardito leather strap/SS buckle (different brand) that I put on, and really like the overall look.

Although this is not an exact copy of a model, it is an interesting overall design. Since the person I spoke to informed me this is made in the same factory as the genuine Gruppo Gamma brand, I decided to put it through its paces...

Specs:

- 44mm

- Sapphire crystal

- 300m water resistant

- Seiko NH35 movement

- 316L stainless steel

- Engraved caseback and crown

- Superlumnovia dial and hands

The watch is solid, and has a good weight to it. The sapphire crystal appears to be treated with a good application of AR. The lume is one of the brightest I've seen in a while, and rivals my Helson and Deep Blue models. The signed caseback and crown are crisp, and deeply engraved, while the polished/brushed case is blemish free. This also features sturdy feeling, screw in, bars to hold the strap in place. Overall, the build quality feels like something many times for expensive than what I paid, and is on par with my genuine watches easily.

The movement winds without issue, and has been accurate all day during wear. The slim profile fits well on the wrist, and the grey faded dial is very unique. All dial print is crisp and clean.

I took this for a swim and a shower without issues. No condensation or moisture crept in with either activity, and it appears to at the very least be suitable for swimming, if not for the full 300m it claims.

For comparison, this feels more sturdy and solidly built than any replica I've purchased, so I wouldn't be surprised if this was indeed made in the same general environment as the genuine micro brand. You can really tell this was put together well when it's worn.

D53aPM.jpg

o40YTg.jpg

j1TtVT.jpg

SfL5Ml.jpg

atlEW0.jpg

6pMZKp.jpg

SFLX0G.jpg

1N1qix.jpg

YTh0J8.jpg

20D2T1.jpg

8rTT48.jpg

tYTG9r.jpg

k6P96b.jpg

Qivzcg.jpg

WlPJzy.jpg

shelby1501

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/10/11
Wow this actually looks amazing, especially for $90! You should have bought two, I'd take the other one from you right now!

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Very nice, I like the especially designed hands and the dial paint. Good catch!

Repguy

Renowned Member
31/12/13
Thanks guys, it's definitely a good deal for the watch overall.

shelby1501 I would consider getting a few more, not it's either you get one sample to test put, or you have to buy 300 or more at once.

shelby1501

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/10/11
No worries, just remember me if you ever consider selling it. :)