• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Swimming with time piece?

luisin

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/1/15
Ok silly question: say a couple of watches I have passed the 6ATM test..can I dive with them at max 20/25m ?

I think yes, ofc, but from my point of view, i don't find any reasons to take the risk of diving with a good watch (rep or gen) except if it is made specifically for this kind of activity

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
I think yes, ofc, but from my point of view, i don't find any reasons to take the risk of diving with a good watch (rep or gen) except if it is made specifically for this kind of activity

one would think that a "diver" or a "submersible" would be in their element..

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Most dive reps can handle some level of submursion. I did have a planet ocean that was missing the caseback gasket, so as has been said check before you submurse it.

TigersFan

29/1/17
I love dive watches but only swim with my gens - and really only my Seikos. They are easy to replace if something happens.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Here's a couple of mine undergoing their annual pressure testing...

Noob PAM 111 v3

Skyland Avenger v2

SOSF v2

TC v6
(Yes I put the pushers bar on the wrong side so it's upside down)

hurk

The sound of barf
Supporter
Certified
10/5/11
I always swim with mine but only after testing. I actually had a pam 417 when kw made the debut and that was waterproof like crazy. Never had any issues with that. Swimming surfing. Etc. out of the box

Blaise Pascal

Horology Curious
23/3/17
I swim with my $35 Ali rep in the sea with no problems. I forgot the first time but it was fine so I kept doing it

Sent from the RWI App

himynameiswil

6/7/16
My Tisell sub has been submerged a few times with no problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hmichael

MULTI ACCOUNT
5/5/17
Yeah, I had a friend who had a gen, went swimming with it on vacation and ended up having to fork over 3 grand for repairs.

Reactions: duschkopf

b.hargrave

Known Member
4/2/16
For me I cant have a super duper all singing all dancing dive watch that cant get wet, I grease seals on all my reps and test them in a pint glass! I know its not a true pressure test but I only swim in mine and havent had one fail yet!

Reactions: Daywatch

seedeetee

Renowned Member
27/3/17
I wouldn't risk it. If you want you can go to a local watchsmith and have them pressure test it for you.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Captain Coconut

Horology Curious
15/7/17
I wouldn't recommend it. You might be O.K. In a swimming pool but the ocean is another story. Salt water is incredibly harsh on watches. I've probably ruined at least a half dozen good quality non rep dive /surf watches. The only brand I've had any luck with that I wouldn't mind losing are the Citizen Eco Drive divers. I surf most every day and those watches are absolutely bullet proof. In regards to a Chinese Rep. forget it.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

glee79

9/3/17
i have been using all my gens, Submariner, Steinhart Ocean One/44, Tah Hauer, that is water resistan in the pool, shower, and swiming/snorkling.
Think i will test the rep when i get it at the local watchsmith and look at gaskets.

D

d4m.test

I have a 9 year old crappy rep Explorer II, Never had it service and have swam a 1000 times with it, pools, ocean, surfing etc and it still keeps ticking. The paint has come off the numbers on the dial and it is pretty beat up. Acutally going to replace if I can find a great REP worth spending the money. Trying to find the best air king black face with green second hand now first, but have not found any TD's that say they are 1:1 yet.
Here is mine 9 year old explorer.
View attachment 93879
After sharpie work on the numbers.
View attachment 100721
And her sister got safely home today.
View attachment 100722

JDnTexas

Known Member
20/11/17
This question draws an analogy to Ferrari owners. There is a group of owners who probably never speed in their car, that keep it garaged except for Sunday drives and never take it to the track. Then you have owners who race their vehicle every weekend and push the vehicle to its limits and beyond. It’s all in how you want to appreciate your Ferrari, or your watch. Either way, I hope you enjoy it in good health!

GIMMESUMREPLICAS

25/5/13
This question draws an analogy to Ferrari owners. There is a group of owners who probably never speed in their car, that keep it garaged except for Sunday drives and never take it to the track. Then you have owners who race their vehicle every weekend and push the vehicle to its limits and beyond. It’s all in how you want to appreciate your Ferrari, or your watch. Either way, I hope you enjoy it in good health!

This x100. It all comes down to your own preference and how you want to appreciate your time piece in your own way.

dmxzorq

Who let the dog's out!?
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
Supporter
Certified
14/5/18
Any ideas why crown is still leaking? Did test mine and crown is leaking. I greased it well.

TC V6.

Espacebeetle

Horology Curious
7/10/17
I have taken my JKF Tudor Sub swimming a few times to the local pool. It survives the deep end of 1.8m and doing 25m lengths of breaststroke underwater on the bottom.

i did pressure test it first and I soak the whole watch in pure silicone oil afterwards. I don't like the idea of the chlorine staying on it. My Gens, I don't even second guess if they water resistant.

It looks awesome underwater and embarrassingly even at nearing 40 years old, I still like to play in the pool that I'm a Marine Nationale diver..

Reactions: Tucker