• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Swimming with time piece?

Cynical v2

You're Saying I Can Sell?
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
30/11/15
Just curious if anyone swims with their reps? PureTime says the Tudor pelagos is good for greater than 50m which in actuality is good for swimming in a pool. Anyone have a watch >50m rated and swim with it?
cedd7950421ef6564ebf8a2fc6902b6e.jpg

Sent from the RWI mobile app

Firebert

27/8/16
i dont get any of my watches wet, if at all possible.
ironic since i only own dive watches.
since i havent had any of them pressure tested, i just dont take the chance.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
i dont get any of my watches wet, if at all possible.
ironic since i only own dive watches.
since i havent had any of them pressure tested, i just dont take the chance.

^^

XAD

Renowned Member
15/8/16
I do swim with mine, but only after "greasing" the gaskets with silicone and periodically pressure testing them (same goes for my gens too)

When I was working for a Rolex AD, our certified watchmaker always suggested to owners that they bring their Subs in at least every 6 months for a check.

He was also known for emphasizing to Rolex owners that theres no such thing as "water proof" - only degrees of water resistance.

If you find you want to swim wearing a watch a lot, you might consider investing in your own pressure tester. They run around $180 on Amazon or eBay.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Yup, I swim in quite a few of my watches but I have a tester and I use it, rep or gen.

Evil

7/1/16
Yes sir, I wear any watch besides a DJ and DD into the pool!

Bizznes101

Renowned Member
19/5/16
I have the ZF Black Pelagos V2. Tested to 3atm out the box. I have not swam in it, but it has gotten wet a few times.
Thing is just cause mine tested well, dosent mean the next one out the door will. Too many variables in rep assembly. Test it before you try

efthimis

Mythical Poster
20/6/15
I tested my CrPO from Noob and flew over the 6atm with flying colors which means you can do some serious diving if needed, always check before swimming but I want to say that the whole construction is solid since there were no leaks in order for the watch to pass the test (crown, he valve, case back)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Reactions: vortex4me

kdo2milger

Put Some Respect On My Name
17/3/06
I tested my CrPO from Noob and flew over the 6atm with flying colors which means you can do some serious diving if needed, always check before swimming but I want to say that the whole construction is solid since there were no leaks in order for the watch to pass the test (crown, he valve, case back)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Don't forget x-tal gasket

kevin.123

Renowned Member
12/8/14
I brought my hublot big bang to swim before and no issue till today it still runs strong.

Just don't touch the chronograph after its out of the pool for the next few days.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

D

d4m.test

Greased, caseback tightened and tested is good to go, even if it´s just a simple test in the mall it´s better than nothing.
Generally if they are initially wp-rated for more than 50m by TDs (instead of nil) they will perform well after above procedure.
Personally I will avoid chronographs or anything else that has more additional leaking points (HE valve excepted).
PS: unlike expensive or unique/vintage gens, reps are easy to replace for less than $500. Unlique gens, reps always have the same
A2836 or similar inside instead of a precious movement.
To get some unique perspectives/distortions - You need water
IMG_7792v_zpstlgap53d.jpg

IMG_6458c_zps3lngozls.jpg

IM1024_0368_zps9e3092a6.jpg

Pam6208861cr_zpsdc72e72d.jpg

Reactions: Daywatch

chris3007

Mythical Poster
24/8/13
I was swimming many times with my rep Pelagos. No problems so far.

iPhone7 via Tapatalk

Inkoumori

Horology Curious
17/9/15
NY, NY
Really like that Pelagos! Only gens in the water for me though, can't be bothered to make a rep pass the test and plenty of gen divers to wear.

Sent from the RWI mobile app

Kwanruan

3/2/16
Germany
OK, it seams like a lot of people go swimming with their reps.
In summer I like to go smimming in lakes and rivers and always were a watch then. Most of the time I run my Invicta 420 or a Citizen 200m, no problems so far. Had never tested them for water resistance, but would never go swimming with one of my more expensive watches ;)