• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Review of SS Ingenieur chrono plus Gen vs Rep compro

taiji

30/11/06
Like its cousin (aka AMG Ingenieur Chrono), the Ingenieur Chrono is also worth a review.

The main difference between the 2 model is AMG Ing chrono has a Ti case whereas the Ing Chrono has a mixture of high polished and brushed case.

The Ing Chrono is no doubt another handsome looking watch. The design is sleek looking, neat and has a character for precision. Definitely a men's watch.

A brief intro of the spec

1.)Self winding mechanical automatic movement
2.)Chrono with central seconds hand (6 o'clock position)
3.)Power reserve of 44 hrs when fully wound
4.)Soft iron inner case for protection against magnetic fields (the rep do not provide this feature)
5.)Screw in crown
6.)Sapphire glass, AR on both sides
7.)Water resistant to 120m
8.)Case height 13.5mm
9.)Diameter 42.5mm (the rep is slightly smaller in diameter but the difference is so small that no one will notice)

Let's take a look at how the rep factory score for this watch.

1451058647_a5498b404d_o.jpg

For a newbie, this watch is flawless. The rep factory really did a good job in replicating the dial almost perfect. Take a moment and find out the flaws and keep your answer to see if you are right as the answer shall be revealed at the end of this post.

1451914826_ab3b8c8666_o.jpg

The caseback and the bracelet are a spot on and look the same like the gen. Little details like the “swirl' pattern on the clasp with “swiss made†are replicated precisely.

Almost prefect but still one flaw, The abbreviation word for “company†is engraved as “CO.†on the gen while the rep has “Co.â€Â

1451915296_0c605171fb.jpg

The crown as you can see here is also well replicated.

1451915000_5c17f2f35a_o.jpg

But, if you look closer. You'll see the differences. The details on the gen crown is precisely engraved and looks sharp. The surface of the gen crown is also highly polished. On the other hand, the details on the rep crown looks like it is etched on and look matt.

OK, manage to find the flaws on the dial? Anyway, let's check out the flaws of the rep from the front view and its dial.

1451057891_02b7c6a335_o.jpg

Notice the 2 holes on the bezel of the rep is not aligned properly. This a common flaw and it very much depend on the QC as one may be lucky to get one with perfect alignment. However, what I understand was most of the reps come with the same problem. (hope that the QC at the rep factory will improve on this)

Another flaw is, like the AMG Ing chrono, the smaller numerals (marked by green circles) sitting next to the subdials expose to much on the rep as compare to the gen. However, this is a very small flaw and noone will notice it.

1451058397_98f681f131_o.jpg

Yes, the quarter cut “12†at the 12 o'clock position reveal more on the rep as compared to the gen.

Summary,

The SS Ingenieuer Chrono is a very well made replica. It takes trained eyes to tell if it is a rep as every little details have been replicated closely with high accuracy. Even the weight feel real. All the hands are of correct length. The “pop out†effect (shown in the green circle) on the dial make the watch looks modern and class.

1451058647_6936b5f090.jpg

The weak point for this rep are;

1.)It uses a modified A7750 to convert the running second at 9 o'clock position to 6 o'clock via a transfer gear. Under mechanism stress, the movement may jam or die off.
2.)This rep comes with a non AR crystal while the gen comes with doubled sided AR crystal
3.)The clasp of the bracelet will “pop†open easily and this can be annoying.

On the scale of 1 to 10 with 1 is the worst and 10 is the best. I rate this rep 7.5 /10. Why I say this was because mine is running well and smooth (very silence rotor) after I sent for servicing and it has been going strong for more almost a year now.

If I were to rate it for its physical appearance comparing with the gen. It will be 9.5/10.

I hope you like my review.

Thanks for viewing

Reactions: tkakanowski and nbp

seank

I'm Pretty Popular
20/3/06
Great review. Wow. I love. If we had a gold star to give you'd have it right now. Thanks for the info.

Sean K

jkerouac

You're Saying I Can Sell?
16/3/06
Regarding the clasp coming undone: the problem is that the curvature of the two extensions is slightly off, so they do not fold together properly. You can adjust by bending one of them very slightly.

But be careful, because bending it the wrong way or too much may worsen the problem or even make it impossible for the clasp to close.

Also, be careful not to put stress on the weld that connects the extension to the rest of the bracelet. In my opinion this is the weakest element of the Inge bracelets. I broke my first Inge bracelet after being too agressive in my adjustment. Fortunately one of our dealers was able to sell me a replacement bracelet.

sattop

25/10/06
Great review!! The Ingy chronos are really well done.. looking at the Ti AMG myself.

Matt Watch

I'm Pretty Popular
12/7/07
Great reading, i went over it twice. I looking to move to IWC. thank you very much - i still struggle picking up many of the things you pointed out.

ar0401

23/3/06
Great review, very informative. I have this model, and currently waiting the crystal from
the Chieftang's AR run. Hopefully it will make the rep visually almost flawless.

chrgod

11/6/06
Excellent review! :)

I considered buying this, but chose the regular Ingenieur due to the suspicious movement in the Chrono. Still think that the Chrono is the better looker, though!

Wear it well!

seanf

Mythical Poster
Advisor
29/11/06
Another great review, and another that's worthy of a sticky post!

robertk

16/3/06
Absolutely great review. I have this one and couldn't find the flaws until you pointed them out. Very precise.

It's also one of the best IWC's.

Thanks!

pit36bus

Known Member
22/10/07
Re: Review of SS Ingenieur chrono & gen-rep side by side pic

looks like a pretty descent rep. i've always liked iwc's

seanf

Mythical Poster
Advisor
29/11/06

Moved to Watch Reviews.

michalis6

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
24/9/06

amazing review thanks!

rgercya

Renowned Member
27/5/14
Sorry for bringing this back from the dead, but has anyone made a franken? put in a gen dial?